Wedding Rate

• Hi Guest, welcome to the help forum. You can get fast answers to your customer service questions here. We have a dedicated team of advocates who are ready to help. Just go to the section that matches your question and ask us!
  • If you've posted a question or issue for our advocates to assist with, please be sure to check back frequently for responses and requests for clarification.
  • Did you know you can get email notifications when something new posts to your favorite forum? It's easy. Just click the "watch" link right next to the "post new thread" button at the top of your favorite forum. The rest is easy. Now you'll never miss another conversation.
  • Want to become an expert user? Drop by the How to use this forum section and all will be revealed. We'll show you how to make the most of your experience.
Jun 7, 2017
Hampton Inn Windsor Wine Country Ca. charged $55-$75 more per night for the wedding rate. I asked to change 72 hours before we arrived and manager said we were "locked in". What is the policy on wedding rates? Thanks.

johnbaker

Verified Member
Oct 2, 2014
@ELS Hotel rates change like airline rates. They go up and down depending on demand.
Normally large groups, like weddings, guarantee a certain number of rooms at a certain rate. This rate is normally at, or below, their average room rate so the guests are getting a decent deal. As the date gets closer, the last minute rate may be more or less than the group rate the wedding got depending on how full the hotel is.

Was your booking prepay and non-refundable? Most of the time they are because wedding has to make up any short falls (ie pay for) on the room block that they didn't release (the room block contract lays out when they have to release rooms by).

Short answer... Manager was probably keeping the couple from having to pay for your room if you cancelled and rebooked

Jun 7, 2017
@ELS Hotel rates change like airline rates. They go up and down depending on demand.
Normally large groups, like weddings, guarantee a certain number of rooms at a certain rate. This rate is normally at, or below, their average room rate so the guests are getting a decent deal. As the date gets closer, the last minute rate may be more or less than the group rate the wedding got depending on how full the hotel is.

Was your booking prepay and non-refundable? Most of the time they are because wedding has to make up any short falls (ie pay for) on the room block that they didn't release (the room block contract lays out when they have to release rooms by).

Short answer... Manager was probably keeping the couple from having to pay for your room if you cancelled and rebooked

Jun 7, 2017
I did not know the bride/groom had to make up the difference! Is there ever a stipulation in the contract that if the rate drops the guests benefit such as in a business rate block?

Neil Maley

Staff Member
Advocate
Dec 27, 2014
New York
www.promalvacations.com
This all depends on the contract the bride and groom signed with the hotel. It sometimes costs more for everyone to pay the same price and for the hotel to guarantee enough rooms for the entire group. And if you are getting any extras, like food or drink, that is added on as well.

It is not a wedding rate, it's a group rate.

jsn55

Verified Member
Dec 26, 2014
San Francisco
There are a hundred different ways to negotiate a hotel deal for a wedding. Usually the bride/groom calculate how many rooms they might need, hotel sets a rate and a cut-off date. Hotel will hold all the rooms until the cut-off date, then they release the unbooked ones back into their inventory. This tradition means that the bride/groom will not be responsible for unbooked rooms, and the hotel is able to offer those rooms to the public after a certain date. It's a win-win.

As a guest, I always book my own room; I like to have the freedom to change the res if I want to.

Neil Maley

Staff Member
Advocate
Dec 27, 2014
New York
www.promalvacations.com
Sometimes the bride and groom DO have to pay a penalty when guests book outside of the group. Not every contract allows attrition. And some contracts give the bride and groom a free or discounted wedding when a certain number of guests book through the group rate.

And if the bride and groom add experiences to their wedding, such as a sunset cruise or a Pre-wedding cocktail
party that you wouldn't be able to partake in if you book on your own outside of the group.

So you could cause a monetary loss to the couple by booking outside the group.

May 16, 2016
Hotels sell rooms through many different channels, all with the goal of achieving a 'sell-out' for as many nights as possible. On most nights this is a combination of group blocks, transient sales, corporate rates, government rates, and consolidator rates (like Hotels.com). The terms under which you originally booked your room will always prevail. If you booked with a group code that doesn't allow cancellations, or you booked a pre-paid or non-refundable rate, then it doesn't matter if the hotel later sells rooms at a lower rate than you agreed to at the time you booked - you're locked into the rate you agreed to pay. As a corporate event planner, I always try to get the hotel to agree that my group's rate will be the lowest rate available over my event dates, but it doesn't always work out that way.

kenish

Verified Member
Sep 1, 2015
KSNA
Now that you have some answers to your question....I wouldn't impose the stress and complications on the couple to save $75. You're probably locked in anyway, as the hotel stated. However if a professional wedding planner is handling the logistics, you might contact them and leave the bride/groom out of the discussion. IMHO.

Your original post sounds like the wedding may be in the past...I hope it all went great!

May 16, 2016
Now that you have some answers to your question....I wouldn't impose the stress and complications on the couple to save $75. You're probably locked in anyway, as the hotel stated. However if a professional wedding planner is handling the logistics, you might contact them and leave the bride/groom out of the discussion. IMHO.

Your original post sounds like the wedding may be in the past...I hope it all went great!
+++++++++++++++++++++++++
Nooooo! Please do not bother the wedding planner with this. Their job is to make sure the wedding goes off without a hitch, not to take care of the special snowflake guests who didn't follow instructions or who think they deserve special consideration. The group contract sets the rate the guests will pay for their rooms. The person who signed the contract agreed to that rate and the terms of those reservations on behalf of all of their guests who choose to stay at that property for the wedding. If the OP made his own reservation outside of the block, or reserved in the block and then found a lower rate elsewhere, it's his problem to manage. Wedding planners have enough to do without micro-managing individual guest reservations!