Washington or British Columbia ?

• Hi Guest, welcome to the help forum. You can get fast answers to your customer service questions here. We have a dedicated team of advocates who are ready to help. Just go to the section that matches your question and ask us!
  • If you've posted a question or issue for our advocates to assist with, please be sure to check back frequently for responses and requests for clarification.
  • Did you know you can get email notifications when something new posts to your favorite forum? It's easy. Just click the "watch" link right next to the "post new thread" button at the top of your favorite forum. The rest is easy. Now you'll never miss another conversation.
  • Want to become an expert user? Drop by the How to use this forum section and all will be revealed. We'll show you how to make the most of your experience.
Nov 15, 2016
I booked a flight with Allegiant for a trip to Vancouver, but I received a reminder email about my trip and it said Bellingham airport . So how am I getting to Vancouver from Bellingham ? I'd hope it's not an additional cost on part. Does anyone know ?

Patina

Verified Member
Dec 22, 2015
My best recommendation would be to contact Allegiant directly, either by email or social media such as Twitter.

Oct 13, 2015
I just checked Allegiant's route map and they don't fly anywhere outside the US. There are ways to get from Bellingham to Vancouver, BC (Bolt Bus, Amtrak, etc) but you'd have to pay for that.

Patina

Verified Member
Dec 22, 2015
Crossing the border into Canada can potentially be very time consuming; be prepared for delays especially if someone onboard the bus admits to smoking pot, having a DUI, or any other type of infraction that is against their laws.

Nov 3, 2015
Which Vancouver are you trying to get to?

For Vancouver, WA, fly into Portland, OR; for Vancouver, B.C. (the city) or Vancouver Island (the big island across the Strait of Georgia), fly into Bellingham, WA and take alternative transport to any of these places.

Bellingham, WA is just south of the northern border of Washington state ; Vancouver, WA just north of the southern border of Washington state, just across the Columbia River from Portland, OR. Allegiant does not fly into Portland (PDX); the closest airport they fly into for Vancouver, WA, is Eugene, Oregon, about two hours away.

Neil Maley

Staff Member
Advocate
Dec 27, 2014
New York
www.promalvacations.com
When you choose Vancouver to book, it states this:

Vancouver, BC / Bellingham, WA (BLI)

Honestly after looking at the website, this is very misleading of Allegiant to even show this as Vancouver because it doesn't fly to Vancouver. And I couldn't find anything on the website that states that you need to get a transfer or some other way to get to Vancouver.

Patina

Verified Member
Dec 22, 2015
Which Vancouver are you trying to get to?

For Vancouver, WA, fly into Portland, OR; for Vancouver, B.C. (the city) or Vancouver Island (the big island across the Strait of Georgia), fly into Bellingham, WA and take alternative transport to any of these places.

Bellingham, WA is just south of the northern border of Washington state ; Vancouver, WA just north of the southern border of Washington state, just across the Columbia River from Portland, OR. Allegiant does not fly into Portland (PDX); the closest airport they fly into for Vancouver, WA, is Eugene, Oregon, about two hours away.
Her title states British Columbia. I haven't tried a dummy booking for this route on Allegiant but seems if they gave the option of Vancouver BC that its a bit misleading. BUT.........devil's in the details and they may very well have noted that the flight terminated in Bellingham and alternative transportation would be required.

Neil Maley

Staff Member
Advocate
Dec 27, 2014
New York
www.promalvacations.com
We need to know what your booking confirmation says. If you can copy and paste it here it would help.

But you need to call Allegiant and ask them how you are supposed to get to Vancouver, since it is very misleading for them to even indicate Vancouver website.

Sep 19, 2015
Bellingham to downtown Vancouver BC is at least an hour by car, sometimes 90 minutes (downtown I mean Robson Street), Vancouver Art Gallery area.

It looks like Allegiant has taken the Ryanair business model -- flying to airports a hike away from the main destination but listing the city -- aside from Vancouver, BC / Bellingham, WA (BLI) Allegiant lists Ottawa, ON / Ogdensburg, NY (OGS) (note not landing in Canada) and lands in two US cities but lists Montreal.

I suspect as with Ryanair there is an extra bus fee to pay to get to the city of Vancouver. That is not included in the price of the airline ticket.

Last year a friend and I drove from Seattle to Vancouver BC, a trip I used to do a lot.

Nov 3, 2015
Her title states British Columbia..
The title I'm seeing says, "Washington or British Columbia ?". Is there an update I'm not seeing?

The reason I ask is that I'm just S of the Portland metro area, so every year or two, typically around Thanksgiving or Christmas, we see a news story about someone who booked a flight to the wrong Vancouver...

Sep 19, 2015
The title I'm seeing says, "Washington or British Columbia ?". Is there an update I'm not seeing?

The reason I ask is that I'm just S of the Portland metro area, so every year or two, typically around Thanksgiving or Christmas, we see a news story about someone who booked a flight to the wrong Vancouver...
I would imagine that she wants Vancouver BC because that is how Allegiant lists the airport. Someone landing in Vancouver WA is in for a long ride to Canada......

Patina

Verified Member
Dec 22, 2015

She asked if she needed to get herself to Vancouver from Bellingham or was Allegiant going to do that for her without any extra expense. Between the title and her initial post, I concluded that she wants to be in Vancouver BC not Vancouver WA. Allegiant does not have an option for Vancouver WA. In addition, @MichelleLovesTraveling looked up the options for flying to BC on Allegiant and it states:

"Bellingham, WA / Vancouver, BC (BLI)"

So the confusion is that the airline is marketing flights to BC but dumping passengers in Bellingham. Without doing a mock reservation, I am curious if Allegiant clearly states that all passengers need to schedule their own transportation to Vancouver BC. Bussing up through the border is going to be very time consuming. There have been many times I have spent too many hours in Blaine waiting to get through for one reason or another. This is another example of "you get what you pay for". I would bet a more expensive option but shorter travel time was available.

jsn55

Verified Member
Dec 26, 2014
San Francisco
Savannah, even though this seems like a confusing situation, I don't think the reality is all that bad. If you do fly between countries, the cost of your airline tix is much higher. So if Bellingham, Washington is an hour or two away from Vancouver BC, you can get ground transportation or you might save enough on the air to rent a car.

Neil Maley

Staff Member
Advocate
Dec 27, 2014
New York
www.promalvacations.com
Savannah, even though this seems like a confusing situation, I don't think the reality is all that bad. If you do fly between countries, the cost of your airline tix is much higher. So if Bellingham, Washington is an hour or two away from Vancouver BC, you can get ground transportation or you might save enough on the air to rent a car.
That is very true, I saw a one way ticket from Las Vegas to Bellingham for $45. You'll never fly into Vancouver that cheap.