WALMART GREENDOT MONEY CARD

• Hi Guest, welcome to the help forum. You can get fast answers to your customer service questions here. We have a dedicated team of advocates who are ready to help. Just go to the section that matches your question and ask us!
  • If you've posted a question or issue for our advocates to assist with, please be sure to check back frequently for responses and requests for clarification.
  • Did you know you can get email notifications when something new posts to your favorite forum? It's easy. Just click the "watch" link right next to the "post new thread" button at the top of your favorite forum. The rest is easy. Now you'll never miss another conversation.
  • Want to become an expert user? Drop by the How to use this forum section and all will be revealed. We'll show you how to make the most of your experience.

JVillegirl541

Verified Member
Nov 21, 2014
While I certainly admire you ability to survive without a checking account or credit card it is prudent to have both in order to navigate today’s financial systems.

jsn55

Verified Member
Dec 26, 2014
San Francisco
I suspect the problem lies in the first time you attempted to verify the card and it failed. The second attempt also failed. Since you paid cash for the card, it's very possible that a scammer picked right up on it and has already used the $300. While you get this sorted out (I hope) I'd ask a friend with a debit or credit card to get your internet bill paid on time. Based on the number of posts to this forum on various 'cards', I suspect they will soon become a thing of the past. It seems to be extremely difficult to straighten out a problem with any kind of gift/cash card.

Mar 11, 2018
Well I am still the holder of a piece of Wal Mart plastic. In reading through the comments, I find it rather interesting. I may be wrong in my thoughts here, but it seems to me, people are trying to justify this kind of service or lack of service. I'm sorry , but it is the principle of the matter at this point.

My husband and I could not charge someone for something they didn't receive. The card was purchased at Wall-mart, labeled by Walmart, it has Walmart logo as well as it's insignia. The terms are neatly concealed inside beneath the card. My husband paid 300.00 cash at their (Walmart Sanderson Ave Hemet, CA) register and their employee stated all he had to do was register on line and you are good to go, simple enough. The online website is flawed, requesting a social security number is against Public Policy, Social Security also states, SS Shall Not be used for Identification purposes.

For the sake of debate here , say we purchased the card as a gift? We would expect the person we give it to, use it in any way they choose. Or say I lost the card, oh well my lose , and whoever might find it can spend it or do whatever they may choose, perhaps they would frame it.

Try to call any number that is listed for Walmart in your phone book, or online, and I challenge anyone to find someone that is actually able to help resolve the problem I spent an additional 1.5 the other day attempting to get this resolved to know avail. Employees consistently responded, sorry but there is nothing we can do, you have to call the number on the back of the card, I have to believe that they never tried calling that number on the back of the card, because they would not be able to say that anymore.,...to talk with a live person is not an option.! One employee suggested I call 1-800-walmart. Has anyone here ever tried calling 1-800 Walmart? , it was then that I realized there is no number to contact someone from Walmart that can resolve issues

One comment was they believed that I should contact Green Dot, I disagree, there was nothing saying such when the card was purchased. Again if we charged a customer for something he didn't get , then they returned to us with the problem, could we say oh go see the dodge dealer? No. This transaction is flawed, and there are Agencies within the finance divisions that are capable of dealing with my situation of this nature. We at this point want the return of our funds as well as compensation for the time vested into attempting to get this resolved. Also to the people that posted , that we actually are not out anything, please, I do not follow your logic . What we earn is also not part of this, nor is justifying by saying they do this to combat money laundering etc.....give me a break. I will keep you posted. Thanks for all your comments On a quick closing I was made aware of the fact that the CEO of Walmart makes a "mere" 95 Million a year, there is something wrong with this picture while our 300.00 is unavailable to us, and no, it is not from lack of effort put forward to attempt to get this resolved.

Sep 19, 2015
Well I am still the holder of a piece of Wal Mart plastic. In reading through the comments, I find it rather interesting. I may be wrong in my thoughts here, but it seems to me, people are trying to justify this kind of service or lack of service. I'm sorry , but it is the principle of the matter at this point.

My husband and I could not charge someone for something they didn't receive. The card was purchased at Wall-mart, labeled by Walmart, it has Walmart logo as well as it's insignia. The terms are neatly concealed inside beneath the card. My husband paid 300.00 cash at their (Walmart Sanderson Ave Hemet, CA) register and their employee stated all he had to do was register on line and you are good to go, simple enough. The online website is flawed, requesting a social security number is against Public Policy, Social Security also states, SS Shall Not be used for Identification purposes.

For the sake of debate here , say we purchased the card as a gift? We would expect the person we give it to, use it in any way they choose. Or say I lost the card, oh well my lose , and whoever might find it can spend it or do whatever they may choose, perhaps they would frame it.

Try to call any number that is listed for Walmart in your phone book, or online, and I challenge anyone to find someone that is actually able to help resolve the problem I spent an additional 1.5 the other day attempting to get this resolved to know avail. Employees consistently responded, sorry but there is nothing we can do, you have to call the number on the back of the card, I have to believe that they never tried calling that number on the back of the card, because they would not be able to say that anymore.,...to talk with a live person is not an option.! One employee suggested I call 1-800-walmart. Has anyone here ever tried calling 1-800 Walmart? , it was then that I realized there is no number to contact someone from Walmart that can resolve issues

One comment was they believed that I should contact Green Dot, I disagree, there was nothing saying such when the card was purchased. Again if we charged a customer for something he didn't get , then they returned to us with the problem, could we say oh go see the dodge dealer? No. This transaction is flawed, and there are Agencies within the finance divisions that are capable of dealing with my situation of this nature. We at this point want the return of our funds as well as compensation for the time vested into attempting to get this resolved. Also to the people that posted , that we actually are not out anything, please, I do not follow your logic . What we earn is also not part of this, nor is justifying by saying they do this to combat money laundering etc.....give me a break. I will keep you posted. Thanks for all your comments On a quick closing I was made aware of the fact that the CEO of Walmart makes a "mere" 95 Million a year, there is something wrong with this picture while our 300.00 is unavailable to us, and no, it is not from lack of effort put forward to attempt to get this resolved.
No one is making excuses just explaining the situation. Reloadable pre paid debit cards have different reporting requirements than gift cards. Green Dot is a bank and as such has to comply with Patriot Act and Know Your Customer protocols. Some sort of tax identification number is needed — if not a social security number then an ITIN.

No matter who sells the card the issuing bank has to verify the identity through Know Your Customer.

The Patriot Act put in a lot of protocols for anti money laundering and identification verification.

WalMart can not do anything about Green Dot’s Know Your Customer and ID requirements.

Sep 19, 2015
Also banking services are very different from other products because of regulations against money laundering and funding terrorism. Although Walmart has branded the card it is issued by Green Dot and Green Dot has the obligation to comply with all the laws.

Reloadable debit cards are a concern for money laundering, and purchasers of those cards need to be aware of the issues.

Sep 19, 2015
Again these are not excuses just an explanation of the difficulties. Will Walmart refund the money? Can they? Is the number on the back the number for Green Dot or Walmart?

Have you written to the Walmart contacts?

Mar 11, 2018
Again these are not excuses just an explanation of the difficulties. Will Walmart refund the money? Can they? Is the number on the back the number for Green Dot or Walmart?

Have you written to the Walmart contacts?
Yes I have written to the Walmart contacts you have on this site. So far here is what I have gotten for a response from them....
CACSSEE NMI [Incident: 180409-012787]
Tue, Apr 10, 2018 6:31 am
Customer Spark customerspark@mailmw.custhelp.comHide
To ausgeglichen
Question Reference # 180409-012787
Subject
CACSSEE NMI
Response By Email (04/10/2018 08:31 AM)
Good Morning Janice,
I am writing you on behalf of the Executive Offices and would like to thank you for providing our team with the requested information. Our team is working with the appropriate department for further resolution, someone should be reaching out to you soon.

Thank you for your patience and assistance in this matter.

With regards,
Walmart Executive Escalations
Customer By Service Email (04/09/2018 06:29 PM)
Response By Email (04/09/2018 04:21 PM)
Dear Janice,

We are writing to you on behalf of the Executive offices. We received your email today and would like to thank you for taking the time to contact us.

Our goal is to assist you and research your concern fully. We are requesting at this time the following information:

- Your full name
- Your telephone number

We appreciate your assistance in providing this information.

Thank you,
Walmart Executive Escalations

I supplied them with my name and number on the 10th of April, as they requested, and as of today 4-17 I haven't heard anymore from them

Mar 11, 2018
Yes, I just found the time to do just that. So, I'll see what happens.

To customerspark customerspark@mailmw.custhelp.com

I have a simple question, how long am I suppose to wait, for our funds? I have been more then patient, remember I have been unable to use my funds since Feb. 27th. I find WalMarts response to my issue, totally unacceptable.. My name and number were requested, and I supplied them! My husband's time and my time have worth, and the time we have spent trying to resolve this is insane. Wal Mart has no publicly listed number, that I am aware of, that you can call to get issues resolved. So once again, I ask, how long does Wal Mart plan on keeping funds that are not theirs?

Jul 27, 2016
Yes, I just found the time to do just that. So, I'll see what happens.

To customerspark customerspark@mailmw.custhelp.com

I have a simple question, how long am I suppose to wait, for our funds? I have been more then patient, remember I have been unable to use my funds since Feb. 27th. I find WalMarts response to my issue, totally unacceptable.. My name and number were requested, and I supplied them! My husband's time and my time have worth, and the time we have spent trying to resolve this is insane. Wal Mart has no publicly listed number, that I am aware of, that you can call to get issues resolved. So once again, I ask, how long does Wal Mart plan on keeping funds that are not theirs?
Just to be clear, Walmart doesn't have your funds. Green Dot does. While the cards have a Walmart logo on them, they're run by Green Dot, which handles all the funds.

I don't believe that Green Dot company contacts are on elliott.org, but you can put in a request asking for the research team to track them down here: http://www.elliott.org/research/

All this being said, why not just use the card (rather than cash) for in-person purchases until the balance is drained?