VRBO theft reimbursement

• Hi Guest, welcome to the help forum. You can get fast answers to your customer service questions here. We have a dedicated team of advocates who are ready to help. Just go to the section that matches your question and ask us!
  • If you've posted a question or issue for our advocates to assist with, please be sure to check back frequently for responses and requests for clarification.
  • Did you know you can get email notifications when something new posts to your favorite forum? It's easy. Just click the "watch" link right next to the "post new thread" button at the top of your favorite forum. The rest is easy. Now you'll never miss another conversation.
  • Want to become an expert user? Drop by the How to use this forum section and all will be revealed. We'll show you how to make the most of your experience.
Jan 9, 2017
What recourse do I have for a claim for theft of $1,800 (including identity theft of ID and credit cards, jewelry and laptop) of goods while renting a VRBO? The property was managed by SenStay, and vacation insurance through VRBO was not purchased. A thief entered an unlocked back door on first day of stay, though the property manager had not yet given keys to lock the property, and stole personal items. Police report made, local SenStay property manager contacted, letter written after stay to SenStay asking for compensation and name of owner for homeowner's info and possible claim. No response. Should I deal with VRBO, though it states on its site the owner is not responsible, further pursue SenStay, or try to find owner's name? Please advise.

R

Realitoes

You may have a case against the property owner if you can prove negligence on their part. VRBO probably won't assist you here, so you will probably need to work with the property owner or their representative directly. If they (or their insurance company) don't agree they are negligent, you may have to prove it in court.

Jan 9, 2017
How long was it between the time the property manager knew of your arrival and the theft being discovered?
Arrival time was 4 p.m. Theft happened the next day at 11 a.m. Property manager did not respond to calls or emails upon arrival asking for procedure to lock doors. No instructions were sent prior in an email or were provided at site. No toilet paper supply was present in house and necessitated us leaving the home to buy some the following morning. Theft happened while we were purchasing toilet paper. Property manager did not contact us until theft was reported.

Feb 9, 2016
And you didn't lock it when you left or was it locked and broken into or entered with another key?
They didn't lock it when they left because they didn't have a key to lock it. I assume that the unit was unlocked when they got there, which is how they gained entry.

Letter Writer - Prior to actual arrival, when you received instructions to get into the property on that first day, exactly what did the arrival documentation say in terms of gaining access to the inside of the unit? did they indicate the unit would be unlocked? If so, when did the documentation say a key would be provided?

From what LW said, it seems like the property manager/contact is the one who crated this situation. This could also be claimed on the insurance for the property. Letter writer, can you get the unit insurance information from VRBO, or is it contained in any of your documentation?

One hiccup I see here is proving that the items were actually stolen. Letter Writer, I assume you filed a police report as soon as you returned and realized you had been robbed?

Last edited:
Feb 9, 2016
We have a person that rents out her place in San Francisco through VRBO. I asked if she could look at this and make a comment, she might be able to help. Maybe she will post if she reads the other thread.
@Neil, This is the main thread

jsn55

Verified Member
Dec 26, 2014
San Francisco
Logic says the blame is on the management company who did not furnish you a key. But if "we" were at the store when the theft occurred, it's pretty easy to point a finger at you, since someone could have stayed in the house with the doors locked. I would think your personal insurance would be the best way to seek reimbursement. Your insurance company would take care of you, then go after the property management company who were incompetent.

Ok, now I am puzzled. How did you get into the rental? Was it unlocked when you arrived?
Before arriving, I received a short letter with the door code and a mention of keys that needed to be returned upon departure. The code gave me access, but did not lock the door upon exit. No instructions on how to secure door in the email or on premises. No keys. When I spoke to property manager after theft, he explained the manner in which to lock the door, very non-intuitive: Deadlock cylinder on outside door had to be turned to 90 degree angle and lockpad button depressed simultaneously. No keys were necessary. These were the first instructions given or written about on how to lock door.

They didn't lock it when they left because they didn't have a key to lock it. I assume that the unit was unlocked when they got there, which is how they gained entry.

Letter Writer - Prior to actual arrival, when you received instructions to get into the property on that first day, exactly what did the arrival documentation say in terms of gaining access to the inside of the unit? did they indicate the unit would be unlocked? If so, when did the documentation say a key would be provided?

From what LW said, it seems like the property manager/contact is the one who crated this situation. This could also be claimed on the insurance for the property. Letter writer, can you get the unit insurance information from VRBO, or is it contained in any of your documentation?

One hiccup I see here is proving that the items were actually stolen. Letter Writer, I assume you filed a police report as soon as you returned and realized you had been robbed?
No arrival documentation was given on locking the unit. A police report was filed.

Nov 3, 2015
That sounds pretty clearly to me like a "they blew it", Have you talked to your insurance agent? I'd be inclined to let your insurance take up the cudgels for you -- I agree with JSN on this. Let the insurance company deal with tracking down the deepest pockets.

Bet the property management will be revamping their pre-rental checklist shortly.

mmb

Verified Member
Jan 20, 2015
I am just baffeled as to why you would leave your personal items in an unlocked rental and not leave someone behind to secure the property. Did you discuss this plan?
Pretty obvious that someone knew you didn't know how to lock the property.
I hope you are able to get reimbursement as the property manager and owner were derelict of their duties to you, but I also think very few people would just go off and leave the dooors unlocked.

Neil Maley

Staff Member
Advocate
Dec 27, 2014
New York
www.promalvacations.com
I agree that it sounds like the property management company seems to be the problem here. But the owner beats some culpability as well. Why didn't they relay this information to you? How on earth would anyone know how you were supposed to lock the door?

I wonder if this has happened before- someone might want to take a very close look at the management company.

I am just baffeled as to why you would leave your personal items in an unlocked rental and not leave someone behind to secure the property. Did you discuss this plan?
Pretty obvious that someone knew you didn't know how to lock the property.
I hope you are able to get reimbursement as the property manager and owner were derelict of their duties to you, but I also think very few people would just go off and leave the dooors unlocked.
Hindsight, right? But nice neighborhood, front door locked from inside and far back door left unlocked when we departed through locked gate of high fenced backyard. Burglars jumped fence 15 minutes (credit card purchase at gas station down the street pinpointed burglary time) after we left for 45-minute departure. We suspect we were being watched.

Neil Maley

Staff Member
Advocate
Dec 27, 2014
New York
www.promalvacations.com
Hindsight, right? But nice neighborhood, front door locked from inside and far back door left unlocked when we departed through locked gate of high fenced backyard. Burglars jumped fence 15 minutes (credit card purchase at gas station down the street pinpointed burglary time) after we left for 45-minute departure. We suspect we were being watched.
I thought the same thing and also thought perhaps someone at the management company may have even set you up. But that's my evil never trust anyone mind.

Apr 26, 2016
I thought the same thing and also thought perhaps someone at the management company may have even set you up. But that's my evil never trust anyone mind.
Same thing I thought of, too. No instructions left on how to secure the property by the mgr. Renters leave for 45 minutes. 15 minutes after they depart, they are robbed. And yes, I wonder if prior renters have been robbed. Maybe local police dept. would be able to tell Gnochhi Coffendaffer if their are prior burglary reports.

Feb 9, 2016
Don't forget to check the insurance on the credit card you used to secure the VRBO reservation. give them a call, explain what happened and ask if they offer any coverage for personal property theft while at 'the resport'