vivant solar won't put up a snow fence on my panels...

• Hi Guest, welcome to the help forum. You can get fast answers to your customer service questions here. We have a dedicated team of advocates who are ready to help. Just go to the section that matches your question and ask us!
  • If you've posted a question or issue for our advocates to assist with, please be sure to check back frequently for responses and requests for clarification.
  • Did you know you can get email notifications when something new posts to your favorite forum? It's easy. Just click the "watch" link right next to the "post new thread" button at the top of your favorite forum. The rest is easy. Now you'll never miss another conversation.
  • Want to become an expert user? Drop by the How to use this forum section and all will be revealed. We'll show you how to make the most of your experience.
Jan 3, 2018
I have solar panels from Vivint solar. Almost 1.5 years now...absolutely love the savings I have received--almost $1200 last year in electric bill savings. That being said, last winter I contacted them about installing a snow fence (it goes on the bottom edge of the panel so that snow doesn't cascade onto landscaping, cars in the driveway and of course, people). Now, I live in New England and it snows often. Last year I tried to contact them and they said I have to pay for the installation and materials--probably $1000+. Mind you, they own the panels, they operate the panels, the essentially rent my roof and I benefit from discounted energy consumption. Last winter, I called and was offered no other recourse and wasn't allowed to escalate up the customer service chain. My neighbor has the same situation, however a different solar company. Same thing happened to him. They promptly came to install the fencing AND gave him money to replace all his destroyed landscaping...

I have recently reached out to them via email so I can start having a new chain of information since the last information was only via phone. However, I don't think I will get anywhere with this again.

I really only want the fence installed by them at no cost. I don't think it is my responsibility since it is their equipment. If it was a contractor who was building something on my house and they broke something else, I assume they would be responsible for rectifying the situation.

Sep 19, 2015
What does your contract with the company say? Was there any discussion of this issue when installation was done? It is hard to compare what your neighbor received as a service because it is a different company and there may be other variables that went into the neighbor receiving the snow panels at no cost -- like an engineering or installation mistake. A quick look at online solar panel boards showed that people were paying for their own snow rails.

Feb 9, 2016
how about vivant to remove the panels so you can have your neighbors company, their competitor, install their solar panels and a snow fence?

jsn55

Verified Member
Dec 26, 2014
San Francisco
What does your contract with the company say? Was there any discussion of this issue when installation was done? It is hard to compare what your neighbor received as a service because it is a different company and there may be other variables that went into the neighbor receiving the snow panels at no cost -- like an engineering or installation mistake. A quick look at online solar panel boards showed that people were paying for their own snow rails.
Exactly. What does your contract say?

Neil Maley

Staff Member
Advocate
Dec 27, 2014
New York
www.promalvacations.com
I have solar panels from Vivint solar. Almost 1.5 years now...absolutely love the savings I have received--almost $1200 last year in electric bill savings. That being said, last winter I contacted them about installing a snow fence (it goes on the bottom edge of the panel so that snow doesn't cascade onto landscaping, cars in the driveway and of course, people). Now, I live in New England and it snows often. Last year I tried to contact them and they said I have to pay for the installation and materials--probably $1000+. Mind you, they own the panels, they operate the panels, the essentially rent my roof and I benefit from discounted energy consumption. Last winter, I called and was offered no other recourse and wasn't allowed to escalate up the customer service chain. My neighbor has the same situation, however a different solar company. Same thing happened to him. They promptly came to install the fencing AND gave him money to replace all his destroyed landscaping...

I have recently reached out to them via email so I can start having a new chain of information since the last information was only via phone. However, I don't think I will get anywhere with this again.

I really only want the fence installed by them at no cost. I don't think it is my responsibility since it is their equipment. If it was a contractor who was building something on my house and they broke something else, I assume they would be responsible for rectifying the situation.
Why would this be their responsibility? It sounds like an option that isn’t required to operate the system so not sure why you think it should be free.

As the others have asked - does your contract state it’s included?

Dec 7, 2017
SoCal - EAST
Dear Vivant Solar:

Be advised that the manner and location of install of your solar panels runs a risk of damaging my property and injuring people.

I am placing you on notice that your panels gather snow and then dump that snow directing on to my driveway. There is no way to tell when the snow may fall given the vagaries of sun, wind and snow accumulations.

The contract provides that you are required to maintain the panels. Snow removal is part of that maintenance. I demand to be defended and indemnified if anyone is injured or is my property is damaged by the snow sliding off your panels,

You may ameliorate this risk by installing a snow fence. Otherwise, you remain fully liable for any injury or damage caused by snow falling off your panels.

VTY - name

Next time the snow slides off - take a photograph before and after. Note where the snow falls. Take a photo - and don't park your car there any longer - you have the last clear chance to avoid damage by noting where the snow falls and not parking there - unless parking there creates an illegal or unsafe situation.

PS: you need to read the contact. Make sure they are responsible for maintenance, and then make sure you send the letter via some tracking method [priority mail?] to the address for notices required under the contract. I'm sure there is a provision for that, if not, whateever address is on the contract.

What efforts will the company make to clean the panels ?? They get filthy just from rainfall - lose about 10% of their generation just from being dirty. Is that also maintenance?

AMA

Verified Member
Dec 11, 2014
Snow falls off regular roofs all the time, and no one is suing the shingle manufacturers. It seems perfectly reasonable to have to pay extra for a "snow fence" if it was not part of your original installation contract.

Neil Maley

Staff Member
Advocate
Dec 27, 2014
New York
www.promalvacations.com
Dear Vivant Solar:

Be advised that the manner and location of install of your solar panels runs a risk of damaging my property and injuring people.

I am placing you on notice that your panels gather snow and then dump that snow directing on to my driveway. There is no way to tell when the snow may fall given the vagaries of sun, wind and snow accumulations.

The contract provides that you are required to maintain the panels. Snow removal is part of that maintenance. I demand to be defended and indemnified if anyone is injured or is my property is damaged by the snow sliding off your panels,

You may ameliorate this risk by installing a snow fence. Otherwise, you remain fully liable for any injury or damage caused by snow falling off your panels.

VTY - name

Next time the snow slides off - take a photograph before and after. Note where the snow falls. Take a photo - and don't park your car there any longer - you have the last clear chance to avoid damage by noting where the snow falls and not parking there - unless parking there creates an illegal or unsafe situation.

PS: you need to read the contact. Make sure they are responsible for maintenance, and then make sure you send the letter via some tracking method [priority mail?] to the address for notices required under the contract. I'm sure there is a provision for that, if not, whateever address is on the contract.

What efforts will the company make to clean the panels ?? They get filthy just from rainfall - lose about 10% of their generation just from being dirty. Is that also maintenance?
This is fine IF the contract calls for maintenance. My stepdaughter had her solar panels installed by Vivant and has no such thing in hers.