1. Hi Guest, welcome to the help forum. You can get fast answers to your customer service questions here. We have a dedicated team of advocates who are ready to help. Just go to the section that matches your question and ask us!
    Dismiss Notice
  2. If you've posted a question or issue for our advocates to assist with, please be sure to check back frequently for responses and requests for clarification.
    Dismiss Notice
  3. Did you know you can get email notifications when something new posts to your favorite forum? It's easy. Just click the "watch" link right next to the "post new thread" button at the top of your favorite forum. The rest is easy. Now you'll never miss another conversation.
    Dismiss Notice
  4. Want to become an expert user? Drop by the How to use this forum section and all will be revealed. We'll show you how to make the most of your experience.
    Dismiss Notice

Visa required or not?

Discussion in 'Royal Caribbean' started by presha, Jun 7, 2017.

1. presha

Hello All

I am planning to take my parents on a family vacation to Bermuda in July via Royal Caribbean Cruises. My parents are Nepali passport holders but have a multiple entry US visa. The cruise's visa department said that they will need a Bermuda visa. We applied for Bermuda visa. We got an email from the embassy saying that no visa is required since they are travelling via USA and they have a multiple entry US visa. I also checked the government of Bermuda immigration website -it also says that no visa required for multiple entry US visa holders. I called the cruise's visa department again- they are still saying that my parents would need a visa and I should use my discretion. I am totally confused and frustrated. Can anyone please advise.

2. VoR61

Advocate

You have two government entities stating that no additional visa is required. That should suffice. However, as a precaution, I would contact an executive at RC and ask them to follow up with the cruise's visa department and make a note on your reservation, assuming they agree. Best to be proactive with this as much as possible to prevent denied boarding.

You can do so using the Company Contacts link near the top of this page. I recommend you start with the Aurora Yera–Rodriguez email link.

Finally, make sure you check on travel insurance coverage through a broker.

presha, jsn55 and Neil like this.
  3. Neil

Neil Moderator
    Staff Member Advocate

Get it in writing from whoever said you are okay to travel with what you have.

The folks that actually allow you on the ship don't always know the true rules.

presha and VoR61 like this.
  4. VoR61

Advocate

And to further @Neil's point, bring multiple copies of all documents with you (emails, web page printouts, etc.).

Hope for the best, but prepare for the worst ...

Last edited: Jun 7, 2017
    presha and Neil like this.
  5. Globetrottingal

I don't know of any travel insurance provider that covers lack of proper documentation. In this case, even if the visa is not necessary, if the cruise line denies them boarding, even in error, I don't think insurance will cover it.

presha likes this.
  6. VoR61

Advocate

Understood. My suggestion is a "generic" one. We never know what preparations travelers who come to us have made.

Travel insurance is especially important when cruising ...

presha likes this.
  7. Globetrottingal

Agreed! I buy it every time, and only once did I have to use it and it was for snorkeling equipment pilfered from my checked bag. My mom and sister had to do a medical claim once and thank goodness for the coverage! Otherwise, they would have been out the cost of the cruise.

presha, Patina and VoR61 like this.
  8. VoR61

Advocate

Once we leave the shores of our homeland (tip-o-the-cap to @honestpointofview), the unforeseen can cost well into the tens-of-thousands. Not to mention our $$$$$ investment in non-refundables.

presha, John Galbraith and Neil like this.
  9. JVillegirl541

Staff Member Advocate

Are the Visa's inexpensive and easy to get? Because if they are I would get one anyway. At the Port you are dealing with $9 per hour employees who work for an outside vendor. It won't matter what anyone said on the phone and they have the power to keep you off the ship.

I tend to plan for the worst and hope for the best. If you can get those un-needed Visa's then get them. If it involved a lot of money or a long trip to some office then I'd rethink it again.

Better safe than sorry :(

Nancy, presha and Patina like this.
  10. VoR61

Advocate

@JVillegirl541's post triggered something, so I checked and may have found the source of the confusion. See: https://bermuda.visahq.com/requirements/Nepal/resident-United_States

where it says ...

Citizens of Nepal with a multiple-entry United States visa or Permanent Resident Card do not require a visa to Bermuda for a maximum stay of 90 days.
    and then says ...

Bermuda tourist visa is required for citizens of Nepal.
    Not an expert in this area, but this seems to indicate that a tourist visa (vs a ????) is required.

John Galbraith and JVillegirl541 like this.
  11. JVillegirl541

Staff Member Advocate

Just get it and be safe!

12. VoR61

Advocate

@JVillegirl541 is it possible that they WON'T issue a visa (regular) if one is not required?

(honest question because I don't know)

13. JVillegirl541

Staff Member Advocate

Get turned down in writing and BRING THAT to the Port. Just my thought, but I'm a worry wort and a control freak. ;)

Patina and VoR61 like this.
  14. presha

Thanks so much for the great advice everyone. Yes we have it in writing from the embassy that no visa is required in this case. But I hear your points about being safe than sorry.

Neil likes this.
  15. presha

Hello All

Thought you would like to know, I just got this email from the Chief Immigration Officer of the Bermuda Government (see below) that they don't issue Bermuda travel visas anymore for entry to Bermuda and a US visa would suffice. Relieved ! At the same time frustrated with the Visa department of RCL for putting us through so much stress and extra work.
    ------------------------------------------
    Good Day,

You do not need any other visa; your US visa is sufficient. Please note, Bermuda entry visa are no longer issued for travel to Bermuda.

Regards,

Dr. Danette Ming

Chief Immigration Officer

Ministry of Home Affairs, Department of Immigration

1st Floor Government Administration Building, 30 Parliament Street, Hamilton HM12

Tel: 441 295 5151 Ext. 1444

Fax: 441 295 4115

Email: dwming@gov.bm

Government of Bermuda Website: www.gov.bm

16. VoR61

Advocate

Excellent news

Last edited: Jun 8, 2017
    presha likes this.
  17. Neil

Neil Moderator
    Staff Member Advocate

I wish every Consumer were as savvy as you and did as much research as possible. Too many others "assume" and the cruise lines cannot and usually won't give you information other than "contact your embassy" because there are so many variations they can't possibly be expected to know everything about who needs what. If they did, they'd be working for the State Dept. not the cruise line.

18. JVillegirl541

Staff Member Advocate

Make sure you bring this with you when you check in at the port. Do not put it in any bag or carry on that may be checked and lost. Keep it with your passports and that multi entry Visa. You will need all of this particularly if the check in staff are simply checking boxes based on a check list in front of them for various foreign passport holders.

Nancy, mmb, AMA and 5 others like this.