Visa Gift Card Hidden Fees

• Hi Guest, welcome to the help forum. You can get fast answers to your customer service questions here. We have a dedicated team of advocates who are ready to help. Just go to the section that matches your question and ask us!
  • If you've posted a question or issue for our advocates to assist with, please be sure to check back frequently for responses and requests for clarification.
  • Did you know you can get email notifications when something new posts to your favorite forum? It's easy. Just click the "watch" link right next to the "post new thread" button at the top of your favorite forum. The rest is easy. Now you'll never miss another conversation.
  • Want to become an expert user? Drop by the How to use this forum section and all will be revealed. We'll show you how to make the most of your experience.
Apr 16, 2018
Recently I was gifted a Visa gift card for $50.. When I went to use it for an item I was finally interested in some months later, the merchant told me it would not process. I called Visa and learned to my dismay, that there is a $2.50 charge per month each month while there is a balance on the card. I am 67 years old and literally had to find this 'fine print' with a magnifying glass on the back of the card. When a buyer or gifter presents a friend or relative with a 'gift card' for $50 it should be for $50 ! This policy on the part of Visa to charge a fee each month is shameful!

Carrie Livingston

Staff Member
Advocate
Jan 6, 2015
I agree it is shameful. I would let the person who gave you the gift know so that in the future, hopefully they will use another provider that doesn't charge fees. For some reason I'm thinking fees may have been prohibited but can't remember the details.

Apr 16, 2018
I agree it is shameful. I would let the person who gave you the gift know so that in the future, hopefully they will use another provider that doesn't charge fees. For some reason I'm thinking fees may have been prohibited but can't remember the details.
The gift card came from a large travel agency upon completion of a cruise. The accounting dept. for travel agency was apprised and knew of the fee charge. They claim it is their right to charge a monthly fee, and suggested i use the card immediately after receiving next time. I also suspect this travel agency does a 'lot of business' with this group and has no plans to find another gift card vendor like amex or mastercard.

Apr 16, 2018
Thank you to all that replied..I will contact Consumer Affairs in Florida..I simply wanted to alert others to the 'very fine print' on the back of (some of) these cards..I'm glad I was not the purchaser b/c I would be embarrassed. Apparently this large travel agency has no shame.

Neil Maley

Staff Member
Advocate
Dec 27, 2014
New York
www.promalvacations.com
I actually did a search on these Metabank Cards. Are you in Florida? In 2010 laws were changed in Florida that if there are fees being charged monthly, it must be disclosed on the back of the card.

Does the back of the card state anything about the mi that fee?

If it doesn’t, read this- there was a number to call to reach out to complain.

https://www.google.com/amp/www.sun-...t-card-rules-vasquez-20101217-column,amp.html

Apr 16, 2018
If they really wanted to give you something, they’d give you a gift certificate to their agency for a future trip.

Were you the traveler on this trip?
Yes my wife and I did a cruise together. Actually our travel agent was taken aback when we told her of this practice and offered us $10 off our next cruise with her. Believe me I'll survive the $10. I guess when you come down down to it, it is corporate greed that is bothersome. On the part of Meta Bank (whoever that is) and the accounting department of this big travel agency, who were aware of the hidden fees.