Verizon Fios TV is billing me for service/DVR I never received

• Hi Guest, welcome to the help forum. You can get fast answers to your customer service questions here. We have a dedicated team of advocates who are ready to help. Just go to the section that matches your question and ask us!
  • If you've posted a question or issue for our advocates to assist with, please be sure to check back frequently for responses and requests for clarification.
  • Did you know you can get email notifications when something new posts to your favorite forum? It's easy. Just click the "watch" link right next to the "post new thread" button at the top of your favorite forum. The rest is easy. Now you'll never miss another conversation.
  • Want to become an expert user? Drop by the How to use this forum section and all will be revealed. We'll show you how to make the most of your experience.
Apr 22, 2016
Since 2010 I have been battling with Verizon Fios service over service fees for a DVR unit I never received. I didn't realize at first that I was being being double billed for 2 DVR units. At one time I was speaking with a customer service rep who gave me a three month credit. The problem is it immediately was billed again the next month. This went on for 2.5 years. I spoke to numerous people at Verizon, and they said return the unit or you will be billed for it. They have no proof that the unit was ever used, or actually delivered to me. ITs been over 5 years, 4 since I cancelled service. At the time I cancelled the service, I again reiterated that I never received the DVR unit, nor used it since I never received it. There have been at least 5 different collection agencies contact me. I tell them to provide copies of the bills showing me what I owe, and I'll pay anything I owe above the cost of almost 3 years of $17 a month DVR service fees. I would love to know if anyone can help me, or if anyone else has had similar issues with Verizon

Apr 22, 2016
It's not much different than my student loans are doing to it. What it is doing is pissing my dad off. He has the same name as I do, and they are calling numerous people with my name to try and collect.

technomage1

Verified Member
Jan 5, 2015
Normally, I'd suggest going through our company contacts and trying to resolve this issue, but I think the debt is so old Verizon's written it off. Once they sell the debt to a collection agency, the agency tries to collect it, then if it can't, it sells it to another agency. It's not unusual for debt to cycle through multiple companies like yours has.

https://www.nerdwallet.com/blog/credit-cards/debt-collectors-crazy-tactics-fight-back/

This article has a really nice breakdown of how to fight debt. You've asked the debt collectors to provide documentation. They haven't. Now follow the articles advice and contact your credit card companies and ask that the debt be removed, as well as use the government complaint site the article lists.

Apr 22, 2016
Thanks I will try this, its been a real joke what all of these collection agencies can get away with to collect this. Is there any info on how to contact the credit bureaus that would help me?

technomage1

Verified Member
Jan 5, 2015
Last edited:
Feb 9, 2016
I would deal with the DVR situation first and, if you are successful, THEN go to the credit companies and provide the necessary information to them to prove that the situation was in error and ask that they eliminate any negative rankings they assessed to your credit score because of it. It's probably going to be another battle but stand firm.

Sorry to hear about your student loans. That's a bad deal.

Aug 28, 2015
New York
Yikes- could you clarify some info.
1. When did you initially subscribe to DVR? At that time did you have a service appt where they brought you a new cable box?
2. Today, you can have DVR stream to more than one set in your house without having a seperate DVR unit. The DVR is your cable box. Are you saying that you are being charged for service to more than one TV in your home yet only receiving the service on one?
3. Have you scheduled an appointment wth a tech to come to your house and see what is going on?
4. Are all leased cable boxes associated with your account accounted for?
5. Could you post a copy of your monthly bill with identifying info blacked out?

Aug 28, 2015
New York
Do you currently receive service? I assume your service was shut off years ago if you haven't paid your bill, thus the collection agencies. When you didn't pay and they cancelled service they wouldn't keep charging you every month. The equipment is not ours and must be returned to the cable company. It is unclear what the scenario is here. Please provide the detail. Cable companies make mistakes all the time, especially when folks move, etc. It sounds like you may have let this go and then your dad was notified so you want to rectify this. That is very understandable as well. What is the amount they seek and specifically what is it for? A service or a piece of equipment? Is it one registered to your house at a specific address? Where is it? Etc etc

Aug 28, 2015
New York
If the matter is you lost track of the cable box then you need to pay them for it. These things are not considered our property. Again, you can be charged for service to more than one TV set without more than one unit.