Verizon ETF

• Hi Guest, welcome to the help forum. You can get fast answers to your customer service questions here. We have a dedicated team of advocates who are ready to help. Just go to the section that matches your question and ask us!
  • If you've posted a question or issue for our advocates to assist with, please be sure to check back frequently for responses and requests for clarification.
  • Did you know you can get email notifications when something new posts to your favorite forum? It's easy. Just click the "watch" link right next to the "post new thread" button at the top of your favorite forum. The rest is easy. Now you'll never miss another conversation.
  • Want to become an expert user? Drop by the How to use this forum section and all will be revealed. We'll show you how to make the most of your experience.
Jul 30, 2016
I have a quick question. A few months ago we moved to a new address. We asked verizon to switch our services over to the new address.

They claimed that they could not for 3 to 4 weeks because they were on strike.

We cancelled our services and now they have a collection agency on us.

From our perspective the moment that they could not fulfill their end of the contract was a breach of contract on their part.

How do we get out the ETF?

Any advice would be appreciated.

Sent from my iPhone

Aug 28, 2015
New York
I have a quick question. A few months ago we moved to a new address. We asked verizon to switch our services over to the new address.

They claimed that they could not for 3 to 4 weeks because they were on strike.

We cancelled our services and now they have a collection agency on us.

From our perspective the moment that they could not fulfill their end of the contract was a breach of contract on their part.

How do we get out the ETF?

Any advice would be appreciated.

Sent from my iPhone
How are you using the term ETF?

Aug 28, 2015
New York
Also, could you post or link to the relevant portions of your Verizon agreement? Obviously you would have to pay for services already received. You cancelled bc they could not provide service so I would agree with your interpretation, based on the facts you provided. Specifically, what does Verizon claim you owe for?

Jul 30, 2016
Thanks for you responses

The verizon policy is that if a customer moves to an area that they service the contract remains in place. If they move to an area that they don't provide service the contract can be terminated without an early termination fee (etf)

We moved to an area that they still service but when we asked them to connect our new home they said that due to their labor strike they wouldn't be able to come out for 3 to 4 weeks.

We switched to comcast because they couldn't service us.

Now they say we owe them the early termination fee.

Thanks

Aug 28, 2015
New York
Thanks for you responses

The verizon policy is that if a customer moves to an area that they service the contract remains in place. If they move to an area that they don't provide service the contract can be terminated without an early termination fee (etf)

We moved to an area that they still service but when we asked them to connect our new home they said that due to their labor strike they wouldn't be able to come out for 3 to 4 weeks.

We switched to comcast because they couldn't service us.

Now they say we owe them the early termination fee.

Thanks
Got it! Thank you. There is no way I would pay that fee. They may as well not service the area since, for whatever reason, Verizon couldn't provide service for a month. I would view this as they cancelled on you, while you were happy to continue service. Have you tried writing the contacts listed on this site? We suggest one contact a week, moving up the chain, until you receive a reply. Let them know you were disappointed when Verizon informed you they could no longer provide uninterrupted service and and you were forced to find another company. You were confused about the fee as it dropped you, etc.

Aug 28, 2015
New York
Even if they focus on 10a, the first clause says "unless otherwise required by applicable law." The law on this subject can be found on fcc.gov. I don't have time to go through it but apparently the FCC has taken a special interest in predatory ETFs in the past. The Fed Communications Act as well as one related to truth in billing would be the "applicable law" here. I don't see how they can charge an ETF when they terminated and I'm sure this position is supported by the relevant law so even if they rely on 10a, I imagine they are out of luck. There is contact info on fcc.gov and they are probably easy to reach during business hours for further guidance.