Vacations by Marriott are not vacations by Marriott

• Hi Guest, welcome to the help forum. You can get fast answers to your customer service questions here. We have a dedicated team of advocates who are ready to help. Just go to the section that matches your question and ask us!
  • If you've posted a question or issue for our advocates to assist with, please be sure to check back frequently for responses and requests for clarification.
  • Did you know you can get email notifications when something new posts to your favorite forum? It's easy. Just click the "watch" link right next to the "post new thread" button at the top of your favorite forum. The rest is easy. Now you'll never miss another conversation.
  • Want to become an expert user? Drop by the How to use this forum section and all will be revealed. We'll show you how to make the most of your experience.
FYI:
We just want you and others to be aware of this change in the Marriott vacation packages.

One should be aware that no points or visits accrue to your Marriott account when booking through the Marriott.com website for a Marriott “vacation”.

We are a Ritz-Carlton Credit Card holder and booked flights to and hotel at Ritz-Carlton Naples, Fl in Nov 2017 for a Feb 2018 visit. We did this through the Ritz-Carlton website which sent us to the Marriott.com website. We received a confirmation email from Marriott with the Marriott logo attached to it

I thought it strange that we did not get a welcome email from the hotel about a week before our arrival

When we arrived I thought it peculiar that the receptionist, Michelle, was rather cool to us. We had asked for a club upgrade but she said we did not do book through Marriott and thus we were not eligible.

When I got home after the trip I noticed they failed to send us an electronic bill as we requested.

The paper bill we got had my name and address wrong.

I contacted Ritz-Carlton concierge and was informed that while I booked through the Marriott.com website, the hotel and flights were booked by a third party, possibly Expedia.

Thus they could not help me with the mistake OR anything else about the booking.

Also she told us we would not earn points or receive ANY credits for the four nights we stayed there.

Nothing on the site at the time we booked informed us of any of this.

Indeed they stated we would get an ADDITIONAL 5,000 points for booking through Marriott.com

Which also probably explains why we did not receive a hotel survey.

I reviewed the confirmation email after my phone call to them and at the bottom in very small type it says:

"You are receiving this transactional email based on a recent booking on vacationsbymarriott@poweredbygps.com. "

Neil Maley

Staff Member
Advocate
Dec 27, 2014
New York
www.promalvacations.com
The public would not know this. As a travel agent I found this out myself when I added air to a hotel for a client that I was booking on the Marriott website. As soon as I clicked to add the air, it passed me to Vacations by Marriott- who doesn’t work with travel agencies- and I lost my entire commission because they don’t work with agents.

But if you did book this through the Marriott vacations website you should have gotten 5,000 points. Here is a screen shot of what the screens show- it shows you can get 5,000 points. I did a mock booking of the hotel. You should have received points.

We have company contacts on our pages on top. I would suggest that you write to Marriott asking what you didn’t receive the points.

Attachments

Jan 6, 2015
Neil would know better than I, but your statement "We did this through the Ritz-Carlton website" is what leads me to believe that this is what tripped you up. I say that because when we used Kayak once and their site "redirected" us to the hotel site, we too assumed we received points and all was normal as the reservation was made on the hotel (chain) website. However, that was not the case.

As you experienced, the reception we got was "cold" and when checking out we were not given a receipt. I asked why and was told it was because we booked through Kayak. When I explained that we used the chain's website I was told to ask Kayak for a receipt, which of course I could not do.

So, the lesson learned for me was not to even use a another site as a "pass through" to the actual booking site as the technology connects the two. Somehow the original site (Ritz-Carlton in your case) must get a credit for sending you to Mariott and thus the treatment you received. Thus when redirected we now close the screen and go to the hotel site separately.

jsn55

Verified Member
Dec 26, 2014
San Francisco
The garbage that goes on in the travel industry! It's just sickening. The big hotel chains trumpet great benes by booking directly with them. Then they don't let you book directly with them unless you halt that task and beam up the hotel's website directly. All they need do, if they have any concern for their clients at all, is advise you to use Marriott.com to book this vacation package. But no, they couldn't care less. It's fine with them if you have a mediocre experience. This is extremely short-sighted on their part. But they have never asked me what I think, so they just go on bamboozling their clients ... the very loyal guests that they spend millions attracting in the first place. If I were in your place, neither Ritz nor Marriott would ever see another of my dollars.

Neil Maley

Staff Member
Advocate
Dec 27, 2014
New York
www.promalvacations.com
As long as you book the room only on Marriotts site - you book through the Marriott site. The second you use the site and add air - it goes to the vacation website. It is very deceiving and if I were out letter writer - I'd be complaining about this to management at Marriott. There should be a huge disclaimer that you are no longer using the Marriott website.