1. Hi Guest, welcome to the help forum. You can get fast answers to your customer service questions here. We have a dedicated team of advocates who are ready to help. Just go to the section that matches your question and ask us!
    Dismiss Notice
  2. If you've posted a question or issue for our advocates to assist with, please be sure to check back frequently for responses and requests for clarification.
    Dismiss Notice
  3. Did you know you can get email notifications when something new posts to your favorite forum? It's easy. Just click the "watch" link right next to the "post new thread" button at the top of your favorite forum. The rest is easy. Now you'll never miss another conversation.
    Dismiss Notice
  4. Want to become an expert user? Drop by the How to use this forum section and all will be revealed. We'll show you how to make the most of your experience.
    Dismiss Notice

Vacation Nightmare

Discussion in 'Hotels' started by Jennifer C. Ellefson, Dec 3, 2017.

1. Jennifer C. Ellefson

My husband and I booked a 10 night stay in a swim out room at Hyatt Zilara in Cancun. We arrived on Sat evening Nov. 11th and when we woke up the next morning we found that we had a large puddle in the lower level room. Water was coming from inside the wall and out from under the baseboard. It started on the floor at the bottom of the steps and extended about six feet in length and two feet in width (you couldn't see the water on the glossy white tile). Mark and I immediately notified the front desk of our situation. The maintenance supervisor came, worked on the leak for an hour and then gave the all clear. The floor was cleaned up and we were told that our room was now safe and the leak was taken care of. We left for a short bit and when we got back in our room I was walking past the end of the bed and slid in a newly made puddle. My left leg slid forward, my right leg backward and I landed on my right knee. It hurt SO much! Again we immediately notified the front desk. I asked for an ice pack. I wanted to elevate my leg, ice it and take some Advil. I was asked if I wanted medical attention to which I said no. I explained that I would rather give it a little bit and see what the elevation and ice could do. The next day a manager asked what could be done to make this right and I replied "take care of the two nights we had already lost. No, was the quick response I got. I was asked if I would like a credit for the spa, I didn't. I work in that environment and am not interested in it on vacation. The next day, Tuesday, the same manager spoke with us and explained that since we weren't into the spa credit that they would offer us 20,000 Hyatt points. The points are collected and go towards free nights. The spa credit covered enough for two 25 min foot massages and the points would have gotten us a night at a comparable hotel. At that time my knee was swollen, bruised and really sore so I said I would like to see the doctor. I was confused when management said they would cover the cost of the doctor visit as a gesture of good faith. I thought that they should pay for it because it was 100% their fault. The doctor did his exam and said I should get an X-ray done asap to make sure that there was not a crack in my knee cap. That's when I was informed that Hyatt Zilara would not be paying for any further medical attention. Nobody bothered to tell me that if I didn't accept medical when first offered it would no longer be available to me unless I paid for it. We finally got a meeting with the hotel manager. He acknowledged that Hyatt Zilara was 100% at fault and that he wanted to make things right. He referred to the original two nights free that we had asked for and offered us an additional night back. This was the fourth day of our vacation and it had been horrible so far. Each day we were having to deal with the situation and we had become limited to what we could do because of my injury. This incident changed our vacation plans in a very negative way. My reply was to split the difference. We pay for 5 nights and Hyatt Zilara reimburse us for 5 nights. We really didn't want anything that we hadn't already lost due to Hyatt Zilara's negligence. It seemed as though we agreed on that. Then there was Thursday afternoon. The hotel manager informed us that the board didn't agree with our resolution. They were only going to offer us two nights stay at a future date with a free upgrade if we wanted to stay longer. Please help us. Big corporate is railroading us. What do we do now? Should we try and get all of the money that our vacation cost us?

2. Neil

Neil Moderator
    Staff Member Advocate

No you shouldn’t try to get the entire vacation for free because you stayed there and didn’t go home, you are the good, etc. Did you spend the entire vacation in your room?

Did you purchase travel insurance? That would reimburse your medical expenses.

I think you should have taken the three nights. Have they withdrawn that offer since you didn’t accept it?

3. Jennifer C. Ellefson

The three nights was never actually approved, I'm not sure why he offered it. The final offer was two nights. We did spend a good deal of time in our room and by the swim out. We had to cancel excursions, no going to the gym, no being playful and no adventures around town. We didn't come home because it would have been terribly expensive to change our flight and I think we hoped the situation would be resolved and we could salvage some of the trip. I'm still bruised and sore and stuck in a knee brace. Now that I'm home I am using my health insurance. Mark and I have only asked Hyatt that 5 nights be reimbursed, I was asking if we should ask for more because I'm still injured. Thank you for your input I appreciate it.

4. Neil

Neil Moderator
    Staff Member Advocate

My opinions in is that you shouldn’t ask for more than 5 nights.

Also just an FYI- those resorts are only managed by Hyatt, they are owned by Playa Resorts. Make sure you reach out to the appropriate company.

jsn55 likes this.
  5. Jennifer C. Ellefson

Thank you. Your feedback has been helpful.

6. jsn55

Staff Member Advocate

This truly is a nightmare, Jennifer. Many people post with headlines like this but yours definitely qualifies as a nightmare. I'm so relieved that your knee is not badly injured. And trust me, I am very familiar with the pain and inconvenience you are suffering; the pain is as bad as having a knee replaced. Be sure you do exactly what your doc says and follow up with extensive physical therapy. Even a 5% reduction in knee function will cause you a huge amount of trouble later.

Basically, your situation is simple. The floor was wet from a leak and you suffered a nasty injury. I don't see any negligence here, they repaired the issue right away ... and we all know that water leaks are sneaky and difficult to repair completely. I would ask for a credit to be used for ten days at the resort in the future, plus maybe a few meals ... to make up for this horrible accident and stay. "In kind" assets are much less onerous to the hotel than cash. Good luck and please let us know what transpires.

sas80 likes this.
  7. Jennifer C. Ellefson

Thank you for your understanding. I'll be sure to take care of my knee.

jsn55 likes this.