Vacation Hold

• Hi Guest, welcome to the help forum. You can get fast answers to your customer service questions here. We have a dedicated team of advocates who are ready to help. Just go to the section that matches your question and ask us!
  • If you've posted a question or issue for our advocates to assist with, please be sure to check back frequently for responses and requests for clarification.
  • Did you know you can get email notifications when something new posts to your favorite forum? It's easy. Just click the "watch" link right next to the "post new thread" button at the top of your favorite forum. The rest is easy. Now you'll never miss another conversation.
  • Want to become an expert user? Drop by the How to use this forum section and all will be revealed. We'll show you how to make the most of your experience.
Aug 25, 2016
We frequently go on long vacations. Comcast (triple play) policy is that vacation hold has to be at least six months. Sometimes we could persuade them to suspend service (there is a small charge) but often not. I am perplexed why this is not possible. If we ask to suspend the service why should we have to pay?

Feb 28, 2017
My daily local newspaper does the same thing and it really irks me. When I complained to them about it, they said they consider the newspaper as equivalent to a utility, and they refuse to suspend charges for vacation holds (when I stop delivery). I could not convince them otherwise. Really, really annoying.

jsn55

Verified Member
Dec 26, 2014
San Francisco
"Vacation holds" cost the vendor money. Someone on the payroll has to handle the request, someone has to answer calls and emails it there's a problem. That's why they don't want to deal with vacation holds.

The U.S. Postal Service has a great vacation hold service (when it works). After two of our last four vacations they forgot to restart our service and deliver the held mail. I had to go to the post office to pick it up myself, which in itself is no big deal. This time they ran around picking up bundles and putting them in a container for me. I'm happy that most of them were addressed to us but there were at least twenty pieces of mail addressed to other people. Kinda makes me wonder how much of our mail is floating around undelivered.

Comcast is a little more complicated when you're receiving not only TV but also internet and phone (I assume that's what "triple play" means). With new "smart home" technology operating off the internet while you're gone and call forwarding for the phone (which we use every time we go away), it's difficult to separate the TV from everything else and cancel that service alone. I can understand Comcast's reluctance since everything's running off the same modem.

Neil Maley

Staff Member
Advocate
Dec 27, 2014
New York
www.promalvacations.com
The U.S. Postal Service has a great vacation hold service (when it works). After two of our last four vacations they forgot to restart our service and deliver the held mail. I had to go to the post office to pick it up myself, which in itself is no big deal. This time they ran around picking up bundles and putting them in a container for me. I'm happy that most of them were addressed to us but there were at least twenty pieces of mail addressed to other people. Kinda makes me wonder how much of our mail is floating around undelivered.

Comcast is a little more complicated when you're receiving not only TV but also internet and phone (I assume that's what "triple play" means). With new "smart home" technology operating off the internet while you're gone and call forwarding for the phone (which we use every time we go away), it's difficult to separate the TV from everything else and cancel that service alone. I can understand Comcast's reluctance since everything's running off the same modem.
And makes you wonder how much of YOUR mail is going to someone else.

George you can sign up for a free service called ‘informed delivery’ with the PO. They scan your mail that’s supposed to be delivered this day. If it’s missing- you check off a box and they look for it. Since my wife started this service we haven’t missed any mail.

You can see if it’s available in your area:

https://informeddelivery.usps.com/b...t=b489-81in&utm_campaign=informeddelivery2018

Jan 9, 2016
Businesses are not obligated to create their policies democratically or to seek our approval. In the case of Comcast, they seem to have a clear policy that is likely available to customers before they subscribe for service. It seems to me they are acting fairly. You have several options (satellite tv providers and streaming services) if you do not like Comcast's policies. If they changed their policy to 90 day suspensions, there would be consumers seeking 60 day suspensions. I think this is a case of a business making a business decision that may not please all the customers all the time.
We frequently go on long vacations. Comcast (triple play) policy is that vacation hold has to be at least six months. Sometimes we could persuade them to suspend service (there is a small charge) but often not. I am perplexed why this is not possible. If we ask to suspend the service why should we have to pay?

Apr 30, 2016
We used to suspend our Comcast triple play during our snow bird months, but decided against doing that for the past two years. With triple play we forward calls from our land line to our cell phones, so people do not realize we are away. The place we used to go to had internet, but their tv cable was horrible, so we took an hdmi cable with us to hook up a laptop to the tv there, and in doing so, we could tape our favorite programs on our dvr at home by logging in to our Comcast account and watch them at our vacation spot. We also have a Ring doorbell on our home internet, so we can answer the door while away. Technology today makes life so much different than years ago.

Feb 10, 2017
And makes you wonder how much of YOUR mail is going to someone else.

George you can sign up for a free service called ‘informed delivery’ with the PO. They scan your mail that’s supposed to be delivered this day. If it’s missing- you check off a box and they look for it. Since my wife started this service we haven’t missed any mail....
Excellent suggestion for mail. Living in rural area I was always told must have been taken from your box as well as one nosey neighbor. Now I know if I need someone to get my mail for a particular day or use it to show that a letter never arrived. American Express accepts this as proof of delivery, or they did for me.

May 17, 2016
My daily local newspaper does the same thing and it really irks me. When I complained to them about it, they said they consider the newspaper as equivalent to a utility, and they refuse to suspend charges for vacation holds (when I stop delivery). I could not convince them otherwise. Really, really annoying.
With that newspaper, I would simply cancel my subscription, then restart on return (if you still want it.).