• Hi Guest, welcome to the help forum. You can get fast answers to your customer service questions here. We have a dedicated team of advocates who are ready to help. Just go to the section that matches your question and ask us!
  • If you've posted a question or issue for our advocates to assist with, please be sure to check back frequently for responses and requests for clarification.
  • Did you know you can get email notifications when something new posts to your favorite forum? It's easy. Just click the "watch" link right next to the "post new thread" button at the top of your favorite forum. The rest is easy. Now you'll never miss another conversation.
  • Want to become an expert user? Drop by the How to use this forum section and all will be revealed. We'll show you how to make the most of your experience.

Using MP *G benefits while accruing miles on another FFP

Status
Not open for further replies.
Jan 20, 2020
Have been trying to get an answer for this with no success...

I am MP Gold but with recent "improvements" in MP :rolleyes: will in no way requalify - so moving to A3.
While building back up to *G, I would like *G benefits, specifically +1 luggage.

With UA, some have suggested that after checking in with UA MP of any elite status it is impossible to change FFP afterwards. Others have suggested it is posisble to change by calling service center. I'm also looking at an AC flight, wondering if I can check in with UA*G, get +1 checked bags, then change FFP to A3 before boarding (or at a different counter).

Thanks...

Jan 25, 2016
I agree with Neil that you're far more likely to get a response on FlyerTalk, and be prepared for conflicting advice. That said, bear in mind the saying
"PENNY WISE AND POUND FOOLISH" (caps intentional) which IMO is relevant because the potential risks don't justify the savings.

Regardless of whether or not you can pull this scheme off, if one of the airlines involved gets wind of it and decides it's a violation of their T&C, you could end up with nothing, i.e. mileage revoked, status revoked, banned from their program, etc.

Also, I'll caution that, based on personal experience with both A3 and AC, their systems aren't the greatest when it comes to cross-airline status like *G, increasing the risk that the transaction could be looked at by a human, who then decides you're up to something, etc. Also, who know how many databases are involved, how many transactions, etc., so it's entirely possible to come up with a scenario where you are successful in using UA *G for the luggage bit, but never are able to get mileage credit even though the FF# is updated.

Good luck.

Reactions: Neil Maley
Jan 20, 2020
I've already tried Flyertalk - however, as guessed above :) there is conflicting information there: some claim it's not possible to change FFP after checking in, some claim it it is. Several different answers for UAs systems, just about none for AC. AC systems were apparently upgraded recently, perhaps no-one knows yet...

I'm still considering what to go for, but the worst case scenario is crediting miles to the wrong (UA) program - there's going to be a #FFP in the PNR somewhere. Actually, best case is no miles credited then I can retroactively credit to A3.....

As to airlines revoking status etc - that's just not going to happen. This is way, way, way, down the list of things they're interested in, and does not, as far as I am aware, contravene any written T&C.

It's not actually a "scheme": as far as Star Alliance rules go (and in fact all airline T&Cs I have ever encountered) you have to HOLD a *G card (or "present" it in some cases). I have never, ever, ever, seen a stipulation in writing that the points must be crediting to the "status giving" card. That's internal airline policy - this contravenes Star alliance rules but unfortunately that cuts no ice with GAs.

Sep 19, 2015
If flyertalk cannot give you an answer then I doubt any other forum can help. This forum is not the place to find such answers.

Reactions: Neil Maley
Jan 20, 2020
Thanks for the replies. Have tried Tripadvisor - no luck. Was hoping to find someone who had first-hand experience with this, obviously I'm in the wrong forum.

Although, technically speaking, this is a problem worthy of a proper complaint - the problem is a result of unwritten (and unpublicized) internal airline policies. Official, publicized T&Cs refer to "status holders" or "presentation of a *G card" to obtain *G benefits.
In practice, many airlines demand the card be included in the PNR - which AFAIK is not stated anywhere in T&Cs. If that's the policy, fine - but don't keep it secret and don't have your customers guessing....

Status
Not open for further replies.