1. Hi Guest, welcome to the help forum. You can get fast answers to your customer service questions here. We have a dedicated team of advocates who are ready to help. Just go to the section that matches your question and ask us!
    Dismiss Notice
  2. If you've posted a question or issue for our advocates to assist with, please be sure to check back frequently for responses and requests for clarification.
    Dismiss Notice
  3. Did you know you can get email notifications when something new posts to your favorite forum? It's easy. Just click the "watch" link right next to the "post new thread" button at the top of your favorite forum. The rest is easy. Now you'll never miss another conversation.
    Dismiss Notice
  4. Want to become an expert user? Drop by the How to use this forum section and all will be revealed. We'll show you how to make the most of your experience.
    Dismiss Notice

Unrefundable Tickets

Discussion in 'Frequently Asked Questions (FAQs)' started by Tasha, Jun 19, 2016.

1. Tasha

I need your help. I purchased a round ticket from Delta Airlines to host my best friend's baby shower this weekend. However, she went into early labor. During her C-section, she lost a large amount of blood. It was scary because the doctors thought they were going to have to give her a hysterectomy. Fortunately, the bleeding slowed down, but because she lost so much blood that she is on bed rest for two weeks. As a result, the baby shower is cancelled. Now I am stuck with this non-refundable ticket and no baby shower to host. I called the airline, but she told me I had to take the trip or lose my money! This is frustrating! As a host of the baby shower, there is no need for me to travel to Detroit. I am a Delta skymiles member and I used my Delta credit card to purchase the flight. As a long time customer, I would hope that a company that prides itself on customer service would please allow this one exception.

Please help!

2. cp556

cp556 Moderator
    Staff Member Advocate

@Tasha - I hope your friend is recovering nicely and that all is well with her and the baby.

As to your non-refundable ticket, you are not the first to request that the airline refund due to special circumstances. We even have a "how to" primer on how to get the best results.

We suggest you follow this advice:

http://forum.elliott.org/threads/refunds-for-non-refundable-tickets.3304/#post-35961

If this doesn't result in a positive answer, let us know and perhaps we can assist further.

AAGK and Joe Farrell like this.
  3. jsn55

Staff Member Advocate

Sorry to hear about your friend's travails, that's definitely scary. I'm glad she's doing OK for the moment. Hopefully you can get a credit for a future flight from Delta. When are you scheduled to fly?

We have so many requests for information on how to obtain a refund on non-refundable tix that we have it all laid out for you. Click on Forums, then on Airlines. Please don't hesitate to come back to us with questions or if you need more detailed guidance.

AAGK and Joe Farrell like this.
  4. Patina

Patina Moderator
    Staff Member Advocate

Unfortunately, I don't think you have a high chance of getting a refund BUT you do have the opportunity to use the value of the ticket minus the change fee within one year of purchase. It sounds like you and your friend are close so I would imagine you will want to visit her and her baby when they are both up for a guest. Maybe instead of asking the airline for a refund, ask them to waive the change fee. Good luck!

AAGK, JVillegirl541, krisseye and 3 others like this.
  5. Realitoes

That is assuming they are not Basic Economy tickets, which do not allow changes!

Last edited: Jun 20, 2016
    jsn55 likes this.
  6. AAGK

Delta is the most customer friendly re: change fees.
    There is a form on its website- fill it out and submit. In about a week you will get an email from a live person, hopefully saying you have a credit and she will waive the change fee. Then you will have one year to use it.
    Another option is to monitor the flight the day of and if it seems behind schedule, Delta will give you a complete refund. Check the flight's timeliness before doing this. If an hour before boarding, it doesn't appear late, then follow the above procedure.

7. Patina

Patina Moderator
    Staff Member Advocate

If that is the case, then the OP can request a credit from the airline to be used for future travel. Either way, she is asking for an exception to the rules and will never know if they will grant it to her unless she asks :)

sas80 likes this.
  8. Flywisely

Not for basic economy. No Refund, No Residual Value, No Change. No nothing. Sorry.

GENERAL RULES TEXT

UNLESS OTHERWISE SPECIFIED
    CANCELLATIONS
    TICKET IS NON-REFUNDABLE IN CASE OF CANCEL/NO-SHOW.
    NOTE -
    TICKET MAY NOT BE APPLIED TOWARDS PURCHASE OF ANY
    OTHER TICKET. UNUSED COUPONS HAVE NO RESIDUAL
    VALUE.
    CHANGES
    CHANGES NOT PERMITTED.

And unfortunately Detroit is a Basic Economy destination.

Why not visit your recovering friend?

jsn55 likes this.
  9. sas80

Staff Member Advocate

Even before I found this forum, right before I hit the submit button for an air purchase, I always asked myself "self, are you going to be okay losing $200 for a change fee if it ends up you cant go?" and myself always either replied "nope, let's get trip insurance" or "yep, I'm willing to wager that $200"

That's why I really like to fly Southwest as much as I can. No baggage fees, and you get a credit but there are no change fees.

Dear Letter Writer, I think you should email the executives as this site details. I also think that you are probably only going to get an airline credit for your purchase. Please understand that this credit will only be valid for one year from the date you PURCAHSED the ticket. However, I think you will have an excellent chance of having the airline waive the change fee if you are polite, explain the gravity of the situation in reference as to why you are not flying, and ask them to carry the price as a credit so that you can visit your friend, and the new baby, when she is feeling better. (what you really spend that credit on doesn't matter) Good luck to you

Last edited: Jun 20, 2016
    Patina likes this.
  10. Patina

Patina Moderator
    Staff Member Advocate

We all know that the airlines have their rules. Stranger things have happened when an OP requests an EXCEPTION to the rules! I have not given any indication that there is a high probability that the OP will get anything from the airline other than a no to their request BUT we, as advocates, constantly say that you never know unless you ask. Simple logic: if the OP wants to take a run at it, let her try as the airlines have every right to say no.

sas80 likes this.
  11. AAGK

Does this route maybe have a poor on time record? If it does, and holds a basic economy, she may as well wait until day of and see if there is a delay- assuming she would lose the value anyway.

12. Mel65

I wish you luck, but unfortunately, in Delta's eyes this isn't "this one exception" as there are dozens if not hundreds of people a day who have what they consider to be a perfectly valid, special reason to request an exception to the rules.

jsn55 and Joe Farrell like this.
  13. Joe Farrell

The ticket you bought is for basic economy.

The rules, as quoted by @Flywisely are the rules for the ticket - tickets are NON-REFUNDABLE -

not non-refundable unless your friend has a c-section
    not non-refundable unless you have a heart attack
    not non-refundable unless you are elderly on a fixed income
    not non-refundable unless you have a sick child. . .

Delta DOES sell tickets are that refundable - it also sells coach tickets that are changeable for a very nominal fee. You pay more up front but you have more options.

14. Algebralovr

I have a completely different suggestion. Since you won't know until later if you will have much, if any, residual value to use, why don't you go see your friend anyway?

You say you are her best friend, and she just had a huge scare. She is on bed rest recovering. Organize 2-3 of your and her closest friends to show up at someone else's house and go make some freezer meals. That way she doesnt need to worry about dinner for a week or two. Go clean her bathrooms, get her laundry done, and make sure all her needs are as met as possible. She wasn't quite ready for that little one yet and there are probably things left undone. Go do them for her.

Let her partner focus on her, not all the other things.

Would she welcome that? We don't know, but hopefully you do. Just an idea.

TropicalRichmond, mmb, jsn55 and 3 others like this.
  15. AAGK

I have had Delta waive change fees for equally mundane reasons. The online form takes 2 seconds to submit so she may as well ask.

16. joycexyz

Excellent idea! I'm sure her friend would appreciate this much more than a shower!

17. mmb

mmb

I was so thinking this while reading. Be the one friend who thinks outside of the box and treats her really special.
    You must have some arrangements for lodging too, so GO and be GREAT!

jsn55 and TropicalRichmond like this.