United Mileage Credit for TAP Portugal Flight

• Hi Guest, welcome to the help forum. You can get fast answers to your customer service questions here. We have a dedicated team of advocates who are ready to help. Just go to the section that matches your question and ask us!
  • If you've posted a question or issue for our advocates to assist with, please be sure to check back frequently for responses and requests for clarification.
  • Did you know you can get email notifications when something new posts to your favorite forum? It's easy. Just click the "watch" link right next to the "post new thread" button at the top of your favorite forum. The rest is easy. Now you'll never miss another conversation.
  • Want to become an expert user? Drop by the How to use this forum section and all will be revealed. We'll show you how to make the most of your experience.
Jan 7, 2018
On 9/28/2017 I flew from Malaga Spain to Lisbon Portugal on TAP Portugal Flight with my husband & 2 friends. Our flight was booked using “Plus” Class which gives mileage credit, free checked baggage and priority boarding. The 4 of us were booked on the same record number. United Mileage Plus has denied giving me mileage credit for various reasons. First I was told the ticket was not eligible for mileage credit, then the Fare Class was not eligible for mileage credit, and lastly the flight was not eligible for mileage credit. I did get priority boarding and did not need to pay for my checked bag but did not receive mileage credit. The other 3 passengers have received mileage credit for this flight. Can someone explain our 4 passengers traveling on the same booking & 3 are entitled to mileage credit & 1 passenger is not? I have copies of the boarding pass, original booking & all correspondence with United Mileage Plus,

Jul 27, 2016
You'll need to get the fare class code from your confirmation. "Plus" doesn't actually tell you what fare class you were in, since that's what you'd need to know how many miles you were entitled to.

Sep 19, 2015
The partner miles issue is confusing.

The Plus level Economy fare code only is for guaranteeing miles on TAP's mileage program.

What is strange is that 3 out 4 received miles -- even though all are one PNR are all the same fare class?

The TAP actual fare class is what is needed.

Jan 7, 2018
Thank you for your suggestions to my dilemma. I had already checked the United Mileage Plus regarding earning miles from TAP Portugal. Also, I forwarded my string of e-mails to Customer Care@United.com & they forward my e-mail back to Mileage Plus. Boarding passes show Fare Class “Y” but original confirmation shows Fare Class “O” (which is not eligible for united miles). All 4 original confirmations are Class “O” & all 4 boarding passes are Class “Y”. All our mileage plus numbers were given to the TAP Portugal booking agent at time of original booking but only 1 passenger was given miles without requesting through mileage plus. Mileage Plus has given me 3 different reasons for denying me the miles & the other 3 passengers on the same booking have all received mileage credit,

jsn55

Verified Member
Dec 26, 2014
San Francisco
Thank you for your suggestions to my dilemma. I had already checked the United Mileage Plus regarding earning miles from TAP Portugal. Also, I forwarded my string of e-mails to Customer Care@United.com & they forward my e-mail back to Mileage Plus. Boarding passes show Fare Class “Y” but original confirmation shows Fare Class “O” (which is not eligible for united miles). All 4 original confirmations are Class “O” & all 4 boarding passes are Class “Y”. All our mileage plus numbers were given to the TAP Portugal booking agent at time of original booking but only 1 passenger was given miles without requesting through mileage plus. Mileage Plus has given me 3 different reasons for denying me the miles & the other 3 passengers on the same booking have all received mileage credit,
Jo, if the others received miles, then it's just a matter of patience and persistence. I would suggest to not be forwarding strings of emails to anyone, that will get your request discarded. Your situation is simple, you just need to keep asking until someone finally wakes up and smells the coffee. Keep your communication concise and polite. It's beyond annoying, but that's the name of the FF game these days. If you want to submit your letter to us we'll be glad to critique it before you send it off (AGAIN) to United.

Neil Maley

Staff Member
Advocate
Dec 27, 2014
New York
www.promalvacations.com
Jo, if the others received miles, then it's just a matter of patience and persistence. I would suggest to not be forwarding strings of emails to anyone, that will get your request discarded. Your situation is simple, you just need to keep asking until someone finally wakes up and smells the coffee. Keep your communication concise and polite. It's beyond annoying, but that's the name of the FF game these days. If you want to submit your letter to us we'll be glad to critique it before you send it off (AGAIN) to United.
If the others received points and weren’t entitled to them because the fare code wasn’t eligible and the others received them in error- the others might have those points taken back if the airline can identify who they are.