1. Hi Guest, welcome to the help forum. You can get fast answers to your customer service questions here. We have a dedicated team of advocates who are ready to help. Just go to the section that matches your question and ask us!
    Dismiss Notice
  2. If you've posted a question or issue for our advocates to assist with, please be sure to check back frequently for responses and requests for clarification.
    Dismiss Notice
  3. Did you know you can get email notifications when something new posts to your favorite forum? It's easy. Just click the "watch" link right next to the "post new thread" button at the top of your favorite forum. The rest is easy. Now you'll never miss another conversation.
    Dismiss Notice
  4. Want to become an expert user? Drop by the How to use this forum section and all will be revealed. We'll show you how to make the most of your experience.
    Dismiss Notice

United charges my friend $32,000 for an upgrade

Discussion in 'United Airlines' started by AMA, May 5, 2017.

1. AMA

AMA

Really, you just can't make this stuff up. United is imploding at every possible opportunity. My friend was upgrading his seat for an international flight last night and his credit card company texted him with a fraud alert, saying that United was attempting to charge him $32,240.90. I gave him Chris' info in case the brain-dead corporate buffoons at United try to argue with him.

2. JVillegirl541

Staff Member Advocate

OMG ;)

jsn55 likes this.
  3. ADM

ADM

Definitely a mistake, unless he happened to book a round trip ticket for the Residence on Etihad. haha

jsn55, honestpointofview and AMA like this.
  4. Neil

Neil Moderator
    Staff Member Advocate

The fraud alert is there for a reason. All he had to do is tell them he didn't authorize the charge and it doesn't get charged to his card. Thats the point of a fraud alert.

5. garkster

The sociology of this stuff is fascinating -- "United is imploding at every possible opportunity" -- no context, no story, and like everyone else's software is perfect, pristine, and their employees are angels, too.

I am not an apologist for UA, or any other airline, but really? Do you, OP, have any clue as to how many transactions UA processes correctly every day (and we haven't heard any evidence that they actually tried to inappropriately collect the 32K).

Say you have an automobile, say its engine's Oxygen Sensor goes bad after 5 years of light use, is the immediate response, OMG, Honda/Toyota/GM/Ford is imploding at every possible opportunity?

BTW, have you heard about the cases in the stock and futures markets where traders fumble-fingered trades and temporariiy caused huge financial losses to innocent bystanders? That, I can get excited about.

Happy travels.

Last edited by a moderator: May 6, 2017
  6. AMA

AMA

Relax, garkster. It's an anecdote, not a life-threatening problem that requires advocacy. I wasn't asking for any tips on how to sue United for $100,000.

jsn55, JVillegirl541, ADM and 2 others like this.
  7. jsn55

Staff Member Advocate

I just took a most pleasant x-country flight on United. And I fly UA exclusively domestically, except for a few hops up and down the West Coast. Continental was 'my' airline, and United is now; I'm by nature a loyal person. So it is sad to see a post like this from a sophisticated traveller (nothing personal, AMA), even tho I know it reflects what mainstream America thinks about United right now. This was so obvious a keying error and surely not an attempt by United to cheat anyone. I take comfort in the fact that UA will change things 'out there' and the other airlines will have to follow, and all things flying will be more pleasant. Then everyone will be on the bandwagon to praise United. And I'll never get any upgrades!

Warren, AMA, garkster and 1 other person like this.
  8. garkster

As a generally satisfied 1K (although there are times I can't believe what I see one or another of the 87,000 employees doing or saying, and I'm sure most of us frequent travelers have stories), I don't think you'll have to worry, ever, about everyone being on the bandwagon to praise United . ;)

AMA likes this.
  9. JVillegirl541

Staff Member Advocate

I for one long long before this latest episode have done everything I can to NOT fly UA. As I stated above just getting rid of my 600,000 miles was a most unpleasant journey of Delays, Cancelations, mechanical failures and pissed off employees. Who likes to be called a liar or wait on hold for 3+ hours just to be disconnected? Not me and I have voted with my wallet.

So to be clear I have a choice and made the choice to fly different airlines, routing thru different hubs and yes sometimes paying more because from experience I KNOW Absolutely I will pay less in the long run.

UA of just a few years ago was a fabulous well run and fine tuned machine. Employees were professionals and a pleasure to interact with.

Dear @garkster I'm glad you are satisfied. :)

AMA and Neil like this.
  10. garkster

"Generally satisfied" for me means about a C+, so certainly not thrilled. I told people years ago that "Airbus" was the most aptly-named product I had ever seen, because slowly but surely the airlines where converting their product into flying buses. I'm showing my age, but I do recall when the 747 was introduced for trans-con travel, it was configured 2-4-3 and upstairs in 1st was a lounge on UA's planes. Loved the L-1011s run by National, Delta, etc., but I digress.

My current calculus involves the number of extra hours I'd have to spend (living in the SF Bay area) to get anywhere that I frequently travel to, and given that AA and DL (WN is a non-starter for me because of the lack of non-Mexico international routes) are certainly no angels, and have decimated the valuation of their frequent flyer programs, I have no good reason to switch. Going to Europe, I'l take LH over UA without blinking an eye, and to Asia, EVA, ANA, etc.

It also sounds like you may have missed the joys of UA's summer of 2000 horror show, or some of the other pre-merger meltdowns -- if that's the case, consider yourself extremely fortunate.

Last edited by a moderator: May 7, 2017
    JVillegirl541 likes this.
  11. JVillegirl541

Staff Member Advocate

@garkster, I have fond memories of the Lounge upstairs in the beautiful new 747's and being treated like Royalty! Boy those were the days. :)

12. AAGK

I know AMA was being tongue in cheek but United stock took a massive dive at the time of the posting so the implosion reference was not even hyperbole. United deserves its current position as the company we can hate on, just as Comcast was/is?

As for the 32k, fortunately it wasn't a 3k error bc that may not have triggered a bank alert and could have led to major inconvenience and certainly wasted time with calls and letters.

13. Just A Guy

Massive dive? Max downside was 5%, so definitely hyperbole. Particularly as the stock is now back above the level before the Dao incident.

jsn55 likes this.
  14. Neil

Neil Moderator
    Staff Member Advocate

People have short memories and that is what these airlines count on.

15. AAGK

I understand the stock rebounded. I was looking at the numbers while I posted. There was a major dive at the time the thread was started so I was relying to a specific reply... It doesn't matter. Hopefully everyone else understood what I was trying to express.

No one knows what the long term costs will be for United after the recent PR/customer service disasters. Hopefully these were isolated events and will help the company improve going forward.

16. Just A Guy

I was pointing out that, even at the time, calling United's share move a "massive dive" qualified as hyperbole.

mmb and VoR61 like this.
  17. jsn55

Staff Member Advocate

Fortunately for United, if passenger numbers dip, they can just shave $10 off each tix for a week and the public will gobble them right up.

Neil and ADM like this.
  18. Christina H

I flew UA last week and the plane was absolutely full -- but no denied boarding. I agree that memories are short and a fare drop will help even more people forget the bad press.

ADM and jsn55 like this.
  19. phoaglan

I have flown United since 1979 and can attest they have gone from first to worst. Fortunately, they still seem to care about safety but probably because it is in their self-interest. One question that Chris has raised is the question of safety as the airlines continue to squeeze more and more passengers by shrinking rows. With the same number of exits, do they really know if the increased number of passengers can safely evacuate a plane in a timely manner? My guess is they don't care or care to find out.

ADM and Neil like this.
  20. Christina H

There are still FAA regulations on aircrafts and evacuations. Every new model or configuration (ie more seats) has to pass a 90 second test done by the manufacturer. Now these tests are done on the ground. Even the Airbus 380 made it under the 90 seconds but there is a question as to whether in a true emergency if people would panic more and delay evacuation.

jsn55 and VoR61 like this.