United Airlines cancels ticket of woman trying to see her dying mother

• Hi Guest, welcome to the help forum. You can get fast answers to your customer service questions here. We have a dedicated team of advocates who are ready to help. Just go to the section that matches your question and ask us!
  • If you've posted a question or issue for our advocates to assist with, please be sure to check back frequently for responses and requests for clarification.
  • Did you know you can get email notifications when something new posts to your favorite forum? It's easy. Just click the "watch" link right next to the "post new thread" button at the top of your favorite forum. The rest is easy. Now you'll never miss another conversation.
  • Want to become an expert user? Drop by the How to use this forum section and all will be revealed. We'll show you how to make the most of your experience.

Steve

Verified Member
Jul 10, 2013
Stevenson Ranch, CA
www.gtracyblog.com
Jan 6, 2015
In reading through the article, it seems to me that the root cause was actually the landlord who, mysteriously, booked through the OTA but then re-booked through the airline.

What the OTA did seems prudent to me (fraud prevention). What is unknown from the article is why they allowed her on the plane and then removed her. Did the cancellation suddenly come through? Did the gate agent suddenly see it? The airline's fault, if any, is in telling her they could handle it - United should have referred her back to the OTA.

Saddest of all is that there is no way by which the traveler can be "made whole" ...

Feb 9, 2016
This is a sensationalist story that is designed to get people to click thru. Once I read the landlord was involved, as a third, oh wait, fourth, party, I smelled something foul. Too many players in the game.

I'm pretty certain that UA made the offer for her to purchase another ticket. I cant believe they said "too bad so sad, go away now". They always offer to rebook at your expense. It's unfortunate that the woman (apparently) wasn't in a position to do this. then the story takes an even more dramatic turn about her 'driving all night' but failing to make it in time.

in this age of Trump, where the media focuses on his BS drama, while he makes policy we miss, because we are so focused and entangled in the drama that is Trump, I have a low tolerance for journalists who claim to be reporting the news in an unbiased manner, but are truly more interested in being popular, and issuing click bait, by literally writing reality television, and presenting it as unbiased journalism.

While the media was focused on Trumps prostitute, he was making policy that no one was challenging - because we were too busy being occupied with garbage news.

it's not fake news, it's garbage news, and it's designed to focus our interest elsewhere so he can do what he wants, unchallenged. think about that.

this is not an anti Trump rant. It's a 'being disgusted in the lack of quality reporting that is going on these days' soapbox post. This UA article illustrates that by not being honest in the title, by being overly dramatic in the article, and by placing the blame where is it NOT due.

okay, rant over

Last edited:
Sep 19, 2015
The landlord used one of those online travel agencies with many complaints but hey it is BBB accredited .... under the name Smartfares.
They have several different DBA names including traveler help desk.

This article should have been about the dangers of using these online booking engines. In another article it says the landlord chose this unknown booking engine because the cost was the lowest.

Neil Maley

Staff Member
Advocate
Dec 27, 2014
New York
www.promalvacations.com
Yea but UA didn't do it. Her travel agent did
She didn’t use a Travel agent. Her landlord used fly by night third party booking site. That’s not a travel agent.

Mistake number 2- not calling the agency she booked through and calling the airline directly.

The errors were caused by the landlord who tried to help her and bought the ticket and then didn’t call the agency that booked it. And the girl was the unfortunate victim.

Sep 19, 2015
She didn’t use a Travel agent. Her landlord used fly by night third party booking site. That’s not a travel agent.

Mistake number 2- not calling the agency she booked through and calling the airline directly.

The errors were caused by the landlord who tried to help her and bought the ticket and then didn’t call the agency that booked it. And the girl was the unfortunate victim.
Yes Neil I refuse to call these people travel agents -- the landlord used an online booking agent, one of the many mail drop off shore booking engines that use the word cheap as the lure, and this is the result -- but it makes for more click bait to blame the airline...... everyone else but the online booking engine -- look at the website it is dreadful...

Neil Maley

Staff Member
Advocate
Dec 27, 2014
New York
www.promalvacations.com
Yes Neil I refuse to call these people travel agents -- the landlord used an online booking agent, one of the many mail drop off shore booking engines that use the word cheap as the lure, and this is the result -- but it makes for more click bait to blame the airline...... everyone else but the online booking engine -- look at the website it is dreadful...
I agree. which is why I corrected whoever said it. The landlord made mistakes too. I feel awful for the poor girl.

Sep 19, 2015
Neil I also feel awful for the passenger and the landlord who tried to help. Unfortunately novice travelers have no idea of what the travel landscape is like nowadays. In the past decade I have had experienced the same issues, family members from age 50 and older having health crises from which there was no recovery possible. And that meant buying airline tickets quickly. But all of the family members that needed to fly bought directly from the airline versus using an online booking agent. I wish articles on situations such as this emphasized more strongly the risks involved with the random online booking engines so others learn from this woman's bad experience.

Jan 6, 2015
I agree Christina and Neil. The more "layers" (i.e., complexity) travelers add to their itinerary the greater the risk that something will go wrong.

Last edited: