undisclosed agent fee

• Hi Guest, welcome to the help forum. You can get fast answers to your customer service questions here. We have a dedicated team of advocates who are ready to help. Just go to the section that matches your question and ask us!
  • If you've posted a question or issue for our advocates to assist with, please be sure to check back frequently for responses and requests for clarification.
  • Did you know you can get email notifications when something new posts to your favorite forum? It's easy. Just click the "watch" link right next to the "post new thread" button at the top of your favorite forum. The rest is easy. Now you'll never miss another conversation.
  • Want to become an expert user? Drop by the How to use this forum section and all will be revealed. We'll show you how to make the most of your experience.
Jan 6, 2015
My thought, which @Neil could perhaps better speak to is that revealing the TA charges up front would put them at a competitive disadvantage. They have to show the itinerary and cost prior to purchase, and if the agents' fee is included, the customer could decline and then book themselves, since they now know the flight numbers, times, and airlines.

As long as the total is revealed prior to purchase, I'm unsure that this practice is "unfair" ...

Neil Maley

Staff Member
Advocate
Dec 27, 2014
New York
www.promalvacations.com
My thought, which @Neil could perhaps better speak to is that revealing the TA charges up front would put them at a competitive disadvantage. They have to show the itinerary and cost prior to purchase, and if the agents' fee is included, the customer could decline and then book themselves, since they now know the flight numbers, times, and airlines.

As long as the total is revealed prior to purchase, I'm unsure that this practice is "unfair" ...
Honestly what they did was unethical but not illegal because of their terms. We disclose all fees up front - and exactly for this reason- we don’t want complaints like this.
Yet we have saved customers a few hundred dollars on tickets if we can find consolidator fares and they don’t complain when even with a fee their ticket is $200 or $300 less than they can get on their own.

That’s what I’d be interested in knowing if the tickets were less than what Peter found on his own.

Jan 6, 2015
Honestly what they did was unethical but not illegal because of their terms. We disclose all fees up front - and exactly for this reason- we don’t want complaints like this.
Yet we have saved customers a few hundred dollars on tickets if we can find consolidator fares and they don’t complain when even with a fee their ticket is $200 or $300 less than they can get on their own.

That’s what I’d be interested in knowing if the tickets were less than what Peter found on his own.
Thanks so much for the clarification @Neil. Noted for future reference ...