Turo: False damage claim

• Hi Guest, welcome to the help forum. You can get fast answers to your customer service questions here. We have a dedicated team of advocates who are ready to help. Just go to the section that matches your question and ask us!
  • If you've posted a question or issue for our advocates to assist with, please be sure to check back frequently for responses and requests for clarification.
  • Did you know you can get email notifications when something new posts to your favorite forum? It's easy. Just click the "watch" link right next to the "post new thread" button at the top of your favorite forum. The rest is easy. Now you'll never miss another conversation.
  • Want to become an expert user? Drop by the How to use this forum section and all will be revealed. We'll show you how to make the most of your experience.
Dec 14, 2017
I rented a car through Turo, a peer-to-peer car rental service (like Uber for car rental). I had the car for a day and scratched the front bumper somehow. It was a really minor scratch. I took pictures and I was shocked when they told me the repair was $700, but I paid it.

Now, 2.5 months later, I got another bill from Turo, saying a supplemental inspection showed the damage was $5,000 more and they're trying to bill me another $5,000. Saying the radiator needed to be replaced and all sorts of things including broken headlights.

It's simply not true. I drove the car at night, the lights were fine. It was a newer car and none of the warning lights were on on the dash, as they would have been if there was a problem.

They've literally had the car back more than 2 months and have decided there is all this huge damage, which would have required a real accident or something. It's simply false.

Turois a peer to peer car rental platform so this is a private owner who is probably working a scam with a friend who owns a garage. They file the claim with Turo and Turo is trying to pass the bill on to me because I didn't choose the insurance option.

I didn't have insurance and they're saying I'm liable for this huge sum of money and I know they're lying. I don't think Turo is lying, but they're being lied to and they're not protecting me.

Turo tried to bill me but my credit card rejected the charge. They're threatening to turn me over to collections which would ruin my credit.

Does anyone have any idea of what I can do about this?

johnbaker

Verified Member
Oct 2, 2014
@nowhere500... I think your beyond advocacy and need an attorney for this one. I'm willing to bet a sternly worded letter will probably shut this down. They can also help you make all the required claims under federal law if they turn you over to collections.

Good luck!

Neil Maley

Staff Member
Advocate
Dec 27, 2014
New York
www.promalvacations.com
We've had this issue come up before and you will need to take John's advice. Because this is not a normal car rental company, our usual reference to a thread we have in car rentals won't work for you.

I would ignore these people and if they should take you to court later - if they didn't tell you this at the time you paid then I don't know if any court they tried to sue you in would say you are responsible two months later. If there was that much damage the car would not have been driveable.

johnbaker

Verified Member
Oct 2, 2014
@nowhere500 try googling legal aid in your area or reaching out to the local bar association. Some lawyers really hate when companies do stuff this and may take it on pro bono.

Jan 6, 2015
I found some information that may help you:

Their team: https://turo.com/meet-the-team
Emails: My email verifier shows that each member should be reachable at ...
Twitter for their CEO: https://twitter.com/andre_haddad?lang=en

Email addresses may or may not work. If you choose that route, start as low as possible and work your way to the CEO. Provide just enough detail to clarify what did/did not happen, and respectfully request the charges be dropped. I suggest you wait 10 days before moving up the chain (meaning there has been no response) ...

jsn55

Verified Member
Dec 26, 2014
San Francisco
Sounds like this Turo is learning from the rental car companies. It would be good if you read our advice and previous threads on rental companies pulling this kind of thing. That might prepare you for dealing with these goons. Perhaps a sternly-worded letter from you might scare them off without your having to find legal assistance.

Carol Phillips

Staff Member
Advocate
Dec 28, 2014
Coastal South Carolina
The advice above from my colleagues is excellent, in my opinion.

Just remember to keep copies of ALL correspondence or paperwork received. Don't discuss anything with them via phone ... keep it all in writing.

And please let us know what transpires.