1. Hi Guest, welcome to the help forum. You can get fast answers to your customer service questions here. We have a dedicated team of advocates who are ready to help. Just go to the section that matches your question and ask us!
    Dismiss Notice
  2. If you've posted a question or issue for our advocates to assist with, please be sure to check back frequently for responses and requests for clarification.
    Dismiss Notice
  3. Did you know you can get email notifications when something new posts to your favorite forum? It's easy. Just click the "watch" link right next to the "post new thread" button at the top of your favorite forum. The rest is easy. Now you'll never miss another conversation.
    Dismiss Notice
  4. Want to become an expert user? Drop by the How to use this forum section and all will be revealed. We'll show you how to make the most of your experience.
    Dismiss Notice

Turkish Airlines cancelled our entire tickets for missing one leg of the flight

Discussion in 'Airlines' started by Tameem, Aug 10, 2017.

1. Tameem

I traveled with my family this summer on Turkish airlines. We booked tickets online for the four of us from Boston to Istanbul with a domestic connecting flight inside Turkey the next day. We misread the connecting flight time and we missed it. I acknowledged this mistake and had to buy new tickets for this leg of the flight. But it was not that simple; I was told that missing one leg of a flight, no matter what the reason is, is considered what they called “no show” and they automatically cancel the rest of the flight including the return one from Istanbul to Boston. Even worse, in order to reissue the tickets, I was told that I have to pay a penalty in addition to the fare difference which was a substantial amount of money.

After multiple phone calls and email exchanges with the airlines through their complaint process, they insisted that I accepted the fare rule that was supposedly shown to me at the point of sale.

Besides the huge amount of money that we lost, this also was a huge disappointment and disruption to our trip. I ended up buying tickets on a different airline to return home. The price for the new tickets was almost equal to the penalty that Turkish airlines asked me to pay in order to reissue our tickets.

The fact that I accepted this hidden rule does not mean the rule is legal or fair. Furthermore, this should not give the airline the right to take our money especially that I do not see how missing one leg of a flight would harm the airlines and is a punishable act. I want to make every traveler aware of these hidden rules and carefully read the fine prints before they choose an airline.

2. Neil

Neil Moderator
    Staff Member Advocate

This is true of ANY airline. When you act as your own travel agent by buying your own tickets, you are accepting responsibility for knowing all the rules and regulations of what you are booking. And you are certifying that you accept the terms by clicking the buy button.

I don't understand how misreading the connection time could happen. Weren't you in the airport? Didn't you jabebthe boarding time printed on your boarding passes?

The airlines usually page missing passengers and make final boarding announcements - didn't you hear them?

Sorry this happened but it doesn't matter what airline you were on. This is the policy of all airlines.

Kahhss likes this.
  3. Just A Guy

Flight was the next day.

4. Neil

Neil Moderator
    Staff Member Advocate

Thanks. The point is that there are probably 50 rules you don't know about when you buy your own tickets that you would never know unless something like this happens and every airline does the same thing. And it is legal - that's why all airline have their terms and conditions on their website and the the have a statement that you agree to it by buying the tickets.

Unfortunately its an expensive lesson to learn about missing a flight but here is the question- even if you did know, what difference would it have made because you missed the flight? What would you have done differently? Would you have bought a different type of ticket? The only thing you could have done differently is bought a non stop ticket so you wouldn't have had a layover.

5. Tameem

What happened is that I wanted to book the connecting flight the next day in the afternoon so we can rest overnight but I made a mistake and I booked it at1:30 am instead of 1:30 pm and I alnowledged this mistake. I still do not understand why would they cancell my return flight. They did not loose anything, if fact, they maybe sold the seats to someone else and made money.
    I think they should not be allowed to get away with this rules.

6. Christina H

It is unlikely that the seat was resold on such short notice.

Why do the airlines have these rules? lets say there is a fare sale to Portland Or from the New York because it is lousy cold weather in Portland in late January. But this time it is high season in Denver because of ski season and it costs more to fly to Denver than to Portland. I book a flight to Portland that is cheap with a transfer in Denver and I have no check in luggage, and I get off at Denver and skip the connection to Portland -- and do this to get a cheaper fare.

That is what people were doing and that is why the rules are so strict.

Most e-confirmations have a statement that saying tickets will be cancelled if segments not flown in order. Below is one from UA. Does Turkish not put this on the confirmation?

Attached Files:

Nancy, jsn55, ADM and 1 other person like this.
  7. Neil

Neil Moderator
    Staff Member Advocate

Unfortunately, this is standard for all the airlines and they aren't going to change the rules because it affected you. It is not an illegal practice - Christina posted the blurb that tells you about this.

The better idea would have been to book connecting flights that give you 3 hours in between and no stop over like this. Then this wouldn't have happened.

As I said, you can try and write to the airline and politely ask for a possible credit but if the answer is no - you'll know why.

8. Tameem

Ok, thank you Neil. I understand now that I have no legal rights.
    But I will conclude that I still consider this unfair. I think, like you said earlier,that the majority of people are not aware of those rules and even if they are, they would not care untill something like this happens to them and they lose thousands of Dollars, then they will become as concerned and passionate as I am now.
    I think If someone pays for a service, he is entiteled to recieve what he paid for. If you allow me to publish this, the only term that can describe what happened to me is a
    " legal rip off"
    Thanks again for your advise.

mmb and Neil like this.
  9. Neil

Neil Moderator
    Staff Member Advocate

Tameem, I would still write and ask if they will issue you some type of credit to use up to a year from the date you booked. The worst they can say is no, but you might hit the desk of a sympathetic executive who might offer a credit. Don't be accusatory - accept the blame for reading the ticket wrong and don't accuse them of deceptive practices. State you had no idea that this could happen and the extra cost for new tickets really put you in a huge financial hole and ask f they will issue you some type of credit for a future trip.

Patina, jsn55, ADM and 1 other person like this.
  10. jsn55

Staff Member Advocate

Tameem, it IS unfair. Most of the rules today are there so the airline can make more money. I'm glad you posted this so others can benefit from your awful experience. I am so sorry it happened ... but you should receive a credit for the rest of your tix. Did you discuss that with Turkish?

Anyone today who needs an airline tix needs to be 1) a very experienced traveller, 2) up to date on every single rule governing their purchase and use, 3) obsessed with details and checking everything 6 times ... OR buy tix through a real travel agent. who is all of the above.

Neil and Patina like this.