TSA

• Hi Guest, welcome to the help forum. You can get fast answers to your customer service questions here. We have a dedicated team of advocates who are ready to help. Just go to the section that matches your question and ask us!
  • If you've posted a question or issue for our advocates to assist with, please be sure to check back frequently for responses and requests for clarification.
  • Did you know you can get email notifications when something new posts to your favorite forum? It's easy. Just click the "watch" link right next to the "post new thread" button at the top of your favorite forum. The rest is easy. Now you'll never miss another conversation.
  • Want to become an expert user? Drop by the How to use this forum section and all will be revealed. We'll show you how to make the most of your experience.
Sep 7, 2017
I came thru security this morning at Honolulu international. I was asked if I have any implants. I have 2 knee replacements. I was given a yellow card that said I was required to remove any electronics bigger than a cell phone and directed to go thru a scanner. I thought this was odd as I was a TSA pre check and I have a global pass. I didn't get any kind of answer from the TSA agent. Is this some kind of new security issue? If so isn't it a bit discriminatory. A fellow passenger who was in a wheelchair breezed right thru and she told me she had an implant.

Jan 11, 2017
TSA announced that it would strenghten again its rule regarding electronics. At some (many?) airports some/all passengers have to remove bigger electronics from carry-ons, even in the pre check line.
About the full body scanner. If you have implants, metal detectors might show false alarm - depending on the material of your implant. Long time ago they used hand held metal detectors, to resolve those alarms, but now they simply send you through the full body scanner.

Neil Maley

Staff Member
Advocate
Dec 27, 2014
New York
www.promalvacations.com
I came thru security this morning at Honolulu international. I was asked if I have any implants. I have 2 knee replacements. I was given a yellow card that said I was required to remove any electronics bigger than a cell phone and directed to go thru a scanner. I thought this was odd as I was a TSA pre check and I have a global pass. I didn't get any kind of answer from the TSA agent. Is this some kind of new security issue? If so isn't it a bit discriminatory. A fellow passenger who was in a wheelchair breezed right thru and she told me she had an implant.
My wife is TSA pre-check and has replaced hips, knees and shoulder. She just asks to go through the body scanner. It is faster for her to do that than get wander and body searched. If you want to get through faster ask for the scanner.

Wheelchairs will be hand searched. I watched this wth a gal in a wheelchair behind my wife. They pushed her through and off to the side and she had to be fully searched by hand. It took a long time.

Pre check doesn't mean you have permission to set off the metal detectors. It means your background check is clean. You still have to be scanned for metal.

Sep 19, 2015
Even people with TSe-Preck and Global Entry can get the dreaded SSSS on a ticket which indicates secondary screening -- sometimes it is random.

Neil Maley

Staff Member
Advocate
Dec 27, 2014
New York
www.promalvacations.com
Even people with TSe-Preck and Global Entry can get the dreaded SSSS on a ticket which indicates secondary screening -- sometimes it is random.
My wife had it happen to her when we asked our hotel in Costa Rica to help us do our online check in. They inadvertently checked off a box saying she had hazardous materials. Voila-!the dreaded SSSSSS on her boarding pass.

jsn55

Verified Member
Dec 26, 2014
San Francisco
TSA has posted warnings at the Newark Airport ... they're going towards "more random procedures" (which I think is a very smart move) so I had to remove my shoes yesterday; everything else was the usual PreChek procedure. Gotta keep the bad guys guessing.

Oct 16, 2015
My wife is TSA pre-check and has replaced hips, knees and shoulder. She just asks to go through the body scanner. It is faster for her to do that than get wander and body searched. If you want to get through faster ask for the scanner.

Wheelchairs will be hand searched. I watched this wth a gal in a wheelchair behind my wife. They pushed her through and off to the side and she had to be fully searched by hand. It took a long time.

Pre check doesn't mean you have permission to set off the metal detectors. It means your background check is clean. You still have to be scanned for metal.
I have two knee replacements and have TSA pre-check as well. I just automatically hop into the body scanner line cause I always get sent there anyway. It is "generally" faster although not long ago I waited for over 15 minutes in a Jet Blue terminal for a female TSA agent as they still do a quick (usually) pat down. Cracks me up because almost always they say that something shows up on my right shoulder. I haven't a clue why or what, especially since it is my knees. Oh well. Flew two weeks ago from Honolulu to Vegas and then a few days after, Vegas to Boston by way of DFW and went through the body scanner rather than be (often rudely) told to get in that line anyway. Ironically a few times the agent in that line says, Oh, you should always TRY to go through the regular line, you might get through.