TRIP ADVISOR - GREENWOOD RESIDENCE IN ISSAQUAH RENTED 1/2018.

• Hi Guest, welcome to the help forum. You can get fast answers to your customer service questions here. We have a dedicated team of advocates who are ready to help. Just go to the section that matches your question and ask us!
  • If you've posted a question or issue for our advocates to assist with, please be sure to check back frequently for responses and requests for clarification.
  • Did you know you can get email notifications when something new posts to your favorite forum? It's easy. Just click the "watch" link right next to the "post new thread" button at the top of your favorite forum. The rest is easy. Now you'll never miss another conversation.
  • Want to become an expert user? Drop by the How to use this forum section and all will be revealed. We'll show you how to make the most of your experience.
Mar 10, 2018
deposit was 98.74 - new listing - checked back 2/2018 to find a negative review - extensive safety issues. driveway steep, covered with moss, tree roots - garage collection of equipment, supplies, wires, renter had disability and was told it was wheelchair accessible. We are 2 couples, one with Parkinson, one legally blind and deaf .Both have mobility issues. I cancelled the reservations and lost deposit. When called tripadvisor was told "can not do anything". Have to have 3 negative responses before they check. This landlord made $98 and folks will continue to rent this property and have a substandard rental. Any thoughts on how to get tripadvisor to check the rental and update the posting???? Thanks Mary ann and Byron

Neil Maley

Staff Member
Advocate
Dec 27, 2014
New York
www.promalvacations.com
Who charged your credit card? Trip Advisor usually farms these out to a third party. You would need to go to the agency that charged your credit card. Did the terms in the agreement say the deposit was nonrefundable? Have you contacted your credit card company to attempt a dispute? Was it in fact Trip Advisor?

This is what I found when clicking on the Payment Protection information - https://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/payment_protection_general.html

It lists three companies. Did you file a complaint through the payment protection policy about the fact is is substantially different than the listing says?

Mar 10, 2018
Who charged your credit card? Trip Advisor usually farms these out to a third party. You would need to go to the agency that charged your credit card. Did the terms in the agreement say the deposit was nonrefundable? Have you contacted your credit card company to attempt a dispute? Was it in fact Trip Advisor?

This is what I found when clicking on the Payment Protection information - https://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/payment_protection_general.html

It lists three companies. Did you file a complaint through the payment protection policy about the fact is is substantially different than the listing says?

Mar 10, 2018
My credit card lists Tripadvisorta rentalxxxxxxxx - does not say anything about a third party. The deposit was nonrefundable. No I have not contacted the credit card, but I will. I did call a pay protection number 855 785 9714 but was told trip advisor could not help. I paid through their payment protection plan. SO I guess I go to the credit card and research? No way of stopping the apt. being advertised as incorrect? Thanks Neil most it amazes me that this rental can continue to be rented. Thank you. Mary Ann

Last edited by a moderator:
Sep 19, 2015
deposit was 98.74 - new listing - checked back 2/2018 to find a negative review - extensive safety issues. driveway steep, covered with moss, tree roots - garage collection of equipment, supplies, wires, renter had disability and was told it was wheelchair accessible. We are 2 couples, one with Parkinson, one legally blind and deaf .Both have mobility issues. I cancelled the reservations and lost deposit. When called tripadvisor was told "can not do anything". Have to have 3 negative responses before they check. This landlord made $98 and folks will continue to rent this property and have a substandard rental. Any thoughts on how to get tripadvisor to check the rental and update the posting???? Thanks Mary ann and Byron
This place is also available on air B&b and the reviews are good there, the last being in February 2018. Booking.com review are generally good also for the residence. So there is one negative review out of many others.

I looked at the tripadvisor review, and am perplexed about somethings. The description of the property mentions that it is in a mountain terrain. Issaquah is very hilly in general, and this house is in an area that is on the north slope of Squak Mountain -- so it is not a surprise that the driveway was at an incline, as is the backyard. And this past Seattle area fall and winter has had (surprise) a lot of rain, so moss is not unexpected. I am not sure if the trees in that area are protected, ie a greenbelt -- in Issaquah a permit is often needed to remove trees. Perhaps renting a home on the side of a mountain was not the best choice for someone needing a wheelchair. It sounds as if the main problems were with using the driveway and the wheelchair.

How soon before the trip was the cancellation made?

Last edited:
Mar 10, 2018
Christina - booked 1/2/2018 - cancelled 2/25/18 after reading the negative review posted - Not for kids or disabled.
Neil - under Amenities it listed "wheelchair Accessible" . I do understand country living, we live in a "cabin in the woods" near Wallace Falls, but wheelchair accessible means flat and easy to access. The deposit was not refundable. My complaint is it was not what was advertised.
Carrie in my communication with renter we discussed it was going to be 2 couples - the 2 guests was an error.
Any additional thoughts? Seems my only recourse is the credit card company and an appeal.

Neil Maley

Staff Member
Advocate
Dec 27, 2014
New York
www.promalvacations.com
I think you need to go through the credit card company. I’m not sure that whoever you rented from would help because you never went there, you canceled before even giving it a try.

Good luck and let us know what happens.