Tried everything & We're at the end our rope. Can anyone help?

• Hi Guest, welcome to the help forum. You can get fast answers to your customer service questions here. We have a dedicated team of advocates who are ready to help. Just go to the section that matches your question and ask us!
  • If you've posted a question or issue for our advocates to assist with, please be sure to check back frequently for responses and requests for clarification.
  • Did you know you can get email notifications when something new posts to your favorite forum? It's easy. Just click the "watch" link right next to the "post new thread" button at the top of your favorite forum. The rest is easy. Now you'll never miss another conversation.
  • Want to become an expert user? Drop by the How to use this forum section and all will be revealed. We'll show you how to make the most of your experience.
Mar 21, 2015
Patrick

Taking everything you have written into consideration, did you follow my advice ?:
Keep in mind the following modus opearandi:
* Make your request specific: (e.g. reimbursement of air fare)
* Be concise and do not ramble or run on with extraneous info.
* Use a bullet type presentation and avoid long paragraphs.
If so, what what was (were) your specific request(s) ?
In my opinion:
1. If the Airline believed they were sufficiently at fault that they refunded the fare to Royal Caribbean, you are entitled to that money.
2. Since, you chose to cut your check in time very close, I think you may bear some responsiblity for the resulting hotel bill. But, I do believe it's worth asking for reimbursement and acceptance as a gift if offered.
3. I do not believe you are entitiled to compensation for the scary moments in the night time taxi ride.​

If your posts are indicative of your writting style:
you are having trouble being concise and editing out extraneous info and
you have not used a bullet or outline style of presentation.​

I urge you to prepare an appeal following all of these reommendations to the next level person found on the Elliott Contact List for Royal Caribbean.
Thank you for your suggestions.

Bullet #1- The cost of the cruise and my out of pocket expenses $5600.
Bullet #2- Subject to interpretation.
Bullet #3- I did

Your opinions

#1- I agree. RCI does not.
#2- Respectfully I disagree
#3- Other than the Delta Supervisor, every contact I had with Delta Customer Service was polite, professional and satisfactory. RCI was exactly the opposite. They had an obligation to get us to the port in time.They failed and didn't even try despite the fact there were options available. But for their service failure, we would not:

1. Would not have been in a dangerous situation
2. Would not be out of pocket thousands of dollars.

Therefore, I respectfully disagree. I believe we are entitled to be reimbursed, not compensated, (there is a difference) for all expenses we have receipts to substantiate. We've not requested, nor do we expect a penny for damages, distress, inconvenience or anything else we cannot prove.

While I really do appreciate your thoughtful feedback, I have no intention of making this a vocation. I have one of those and this an election year.

So, I believe I'm done. That's what my wife tells me anyway and she's always right!

JVillegirl541

Verified Member
Nov 21, 2014
Focusing back on the refunded airfare. Did Delta tell you in writing it had been refunded? Did you in fact use the return leg to Detroit or was the entire ticket refunded and you purchased all your air and also paid RCI for air - Round trip and you either used none of that ticket or just the return leg to Detroit.

RCI or the cruise air absolutely owe you the refund sent to them from RCI, do you even know how much that was and have in writing that it was refunded by Delta.

The last message you received from RCI, that "resolution" person does not seem to know anything about the Air refund from Delta or he would have addressed it...

Just thinking out loud here??

Mar 21, 2015
Focusing back on the refunded airfare. Did Delta tell you in writing it had been refunded? Did you in fact use the return leg to Detroit or was the entire ticket refunded and you purchased all your air and also paid RCI for air - Round trip and you either used none of that ticket or just the return leg to Detroit.

RCI or the cruise air absolutely owe you the refund sent to them from RCI, do you even know how much that was and have in writing that it was refunded by Delta.

The last message you received from RCI, that "resolution" person does not seem to know anything about the Air refund from Delta or he would have addressed it...

Just thinking out loud here??
Last question first. Yes RCI knows Delta refunded the air. See the email from Delta above I posted to JVilleGirl. Delta sent a credit to my credit card for the items I paid them directly for, which were checked bags and upgraded seats. The refund for the tickets detailed in Delta's email was sent to RCI. At the same time they credited by credit card. I told RCI bout the refund and forwarded them the email. The refund on the tickets themselves to be somewhat low but it's hard to calculate considering currency exchange which is dramatically different than when we purchased the tickets last June.

We did use the return tickets and transfers. RCI told me they will not sending me the Delta refund because the position of Choice Air was some nonsense about our failure to comply with cruise contract.

Sep 22, 2014
Patrick

The close of your last post struck a cord with me:
"So, I believe I'm done. That's what my wife tells me anyway and she's always right!"​

Like you, I've found my Sharon Rae to usually be correct when we disagree.
I refer to her with the honorific penned by John Mortimer's Rumpole of the Old Bailey (BBC Classic): "She who must be obeyed."

John

JVillegirl541

Verified Member
Nov 21, 2014
We did use the return tickets and transfers. RCI told me they will not sending me the Delta refund because the position of Choice Air was some nonsense about our failure to comply with cruise contract.
Ok once again we are getting a missing puzzle piece, 1st you did get your return leg provided. But that refund should still be yours...

The big question is the "Nonsense about the Cruise Contract" exactly what, specifically did they say?
We seem to be approaching the meat of the matter and trust me we DO want to help you. Just should not be this hard!

Mar 21, 2015
Patrick

The close of your last post struck a cord with me:
"So, I believe I'm done. That's what my wife tells me anyway and she's always right!"​

Like you, I've found my Sharon Rae to usually be correct when we disagree.
I refer to her with the honorific penned by John Mortimer's Rumpole of the Old Bailey (BBC Classic): "She who must be obeyed."

John

An apt description!

Mar 21, 2015
Ok once again we are getting a missing puzzle piece, 1st you did get your return leg provided. But that refund should still be yours...

The big question is the "Nonsense about the Cruise Contract" exactly what, specifically did they say?
We seem to be approaching the meat of the matter and trust me we DO want to help you. Just should not be this hard!
1. We used the return tickets so we were not refunded those.
2. "What did they specically say?" The RCI CSA I spoke to on Friday, and who subsequently emailed me the "no compensation" response was....and I do not want to be unkind here...was perhaps not the most experienced or educated...to know exactly what he said you would have to hear the audio from the phone call, (something I have no problem with)... and I have tried to characterize it here as, "our non compliance with the cruise contract." It made no sense as did a number of other things he said.

Neil Maley

Staff Member
Advocate
Dec 27, 2014
New York
www.promalvacations.com
Patrick please don't give up. Please follow my link to the contacts at Delta. Their email admits error and they are where you should be going for a refund.

We have a friend who works for Delta and she agreed that Delta should have rebooked you - at the airport- based on the facts you posted and she heself doesn't understand why they didn't.

Mar 21, 2015
Thank you. My son in law is a lawyer of some note and he disagrees. He believes Delta mitigated their liability when they apologized and issued the refund. On the other hand he says RCI abdicated their contractual obligation by refusing to intervene with Delta to get us to the cruise port on time when their are airline complications.

Jan 8, 2015
Patrick, I know that you are frustrated with the entire ordeal, as well as emotionally scarred from being robbed in a foreign country, which just happens to be the murder capital of the world. However, several people have made an excellent suggestion of starting over with your appeals process, and in doing so, take the opportunity to apologize for any sarcasm and abusive tone that they may have gotten from your emails.

Make your emails a TON shorter than your first post here was. Ask for compensation more in line with what you were denied. Ie, a portion of the cruise cost. In another thread, several staff members pointed out that while requesting a refund didn’t help, perhaps the cruise line would give them a credit for upgrade packages, so that when they next booked a cruise, they would get a dining package or a drink package which would have normally cost hundreds. Your request for compensation of everything you paid is absurd and completely out of line. (Nobody else said it, but I will) You need to manage your expectations, and since you did take half the cruise and a flight home, you really shouldn’t be entitled to all of the funds you paid. You are also not going to be compensated for being robbed, but you can use it to your advantage in requesting the other compensation.

Also regarding the cruise line, go after them for the portion of the missed cruise and the refund of the first half of the airfare. Do not go after them for being ‘robbed’ or for the flight you paid out of pocket for. However, make note of this in a very short paragraph at the end. Something along the lines of ‘please note, because the cruise line air department forced us to purchase our own tickets instead of rebooking us on a flight direct to Houston where we would have make it to port on time, we incurred expenses of $xx dollars in x country and were also robbed of $xx dollars. We are no longer requesting to be compensated for this, but please take it into consideration with our request for a future credit.’

Now, with regards to the airfare, you really should go after the airline for the funds of the one way tickets you purchased. As it does not seem like you’ve burned your bridges there, you have an opportunity to get yourself something of value. In a short email to their customer service department, make it clear that you arrived with plenty of time to get your bags checked, but that the agents kept forcing you to go to desk after desk and wait in line after line, until you were ultimately told that you missed the cutoff. Make note that they agreed it was their fault as they refunded the price of the flight to Houston. Ask for compensation of the flight purchased minus the amount the flight to Houston would have been (the amount they refunded back to the cruise line. You need to fight the cruise line for this) Also use the point about being robbed, but not asking for compensation to your advantage. Further, make note that they refused to rebook you on one of two flights departing within the next few hours but instead booked you at considerable extra expense to a third world country. Just keep it short and to the point.

Good luck and do not give up on your fight. Just manage your expectations better and make your emails a lot shorter and far more pleasant. Remember, you are literally begging them for your money back.

Mar 21, 2015
Hmmmm....I'm not sure you've read my posts.
At no time have I been anything but polite, professional and cordial in all my correspondence and conversations. In fact I twice had to ask the RCI to calm down when he grew agitated. What I have always provided has been a simple recitation of the facts in a chronological way.

Secondly Delta has already refunded the air tickets. Unfortunately they sent the refund to RCI who is refusing to give me that refund. That means they have been paid twice for the same flight.

I have no intention of cruising again, at least not with RCI so any future credits would do me no good. Thank you for your input.

Mar 21, 2015
Sadly this all started due to not allowing enough time for check in.
Thank you for your reply. Permit me the observation that your post strikes me as "blame the victim." I've never encountered a situation when 1:15 before departure was more than sufficient time for baggage drop off and even before security check in

B

bodega3

I am sorry, but bottom line is the error was yours with the time you allowed for checkin. Since weather caused delays the day prior, 2 hours prior should have been the check in goal, as it does take a day or more to get an airport back to a normal function. RCCL has the reasons listed that they assist their passengers with. Not allowing enough time for check in isn't one of them. The carrier should have assisted you. That is where the next breakdown took place.

Neil Maley

Staff Member
Advocate
Dec 27, 2014
New York
www.promalvacations.com
In defense of Patrick, Deltas own website recommends 75 minutes except for some larger airports. Detroit is not one of them.

As travel agents we usually tell our clients 2 hours but Deltas own website contradicts that and he can use that to bolster his case.

Patrick, with a son in law who is an attorney, he can probably help you draft a letter to Delta. I also would not give up- you have the links to the executives at RCCL and Delta and should pursue this up the chain. But as Mike said you need to request reasonable compensation, which imo is from Royal the refund that Delta sent and perhaps 2 days of prorated cruise costs. From Delta, the difference in cost between your original flight and the cost of the new flight and the hotel and cab.
That is what I would pursue.

From Delta;

OVERALL REQUIREMENTS
Check-in Requirements for Domestic Travel

The recommended arrival time at the airport is 75 minutes prior to departure when traveling within the United States. You must be checked in at least 30 minutes before your scheduled departure time. Additionally, you are required to be at the gate and ready to board at least 15 minutes before your scheduled departure time. Customers who fail to complete the check-in time limits by these deadlines will not be able to travel on desired flights and change fees may apply.