Traveling with grandchild

• Hi Guest, welcome to the help forum. You can get fast answers to your customer service questions here. We have a dedicated team of advocates who are ready to help. Just go to the section that matches your question and ask us!
  • If you've posted a question or issue for our advocates to assist with, please be sure to check back frequently for responses and requests for clarification.
  • Did you know you can get email notifications when something new posts to your favorite forum? It's easy. Just click the "watch" link right next to the "post new thread" button at the top of your favorite forum. The rest is easy. Now you'll never miss another conversation.
  • Want to become an expert user? Drop by the How to use this forum section and all will be revealed. We'll show you how to make the most of your experience.
Jan 20, 2017
I am planning to take my 10 year old grandchild on a domestic flight. Will I need any documentation from her parents that I am authorized to take her out of state? If so, what do need? Thank you for your help.

Jan 11, 2017
You do not need any documentation, permission from the parents, but in case of any kind of emergency, it is good if you have copies of their birth certificates, and copies of their insurance cards.
I used birth ceritifaces to get age related discounts. (One of my grandkids is very tall, looks much older than he is.)

Jan 6, 2015
I agree with every recommendation thus far. For me, this comes down to "need" vs. "wisdom". If for any reason, the TSA, police, etc. want documentation to prove you have the right for him/her to be with you, you can show them. Wouldn't you hate to be questioned and wish you could?

I will add that I think it's good to have at least three copies of everything, especially if something is notarized. You never know when a copy will be kept. And do remember to keep all the documents with you (no checked baggage or, in my opinion, carry on) at all times. Losing these could prove troublesome ...

Last edited: