• Hi Guest, welcome to the help forum. You can get fast answers to your customer service questions here. We have a dedicated team of advocates who are ready to help. Just go to the section that matches your question and ask us!
  • If you've posted a question or issue for our advocates to assist with, please be sure to check back frequently for responses and requests for clarification.
  • Did you know you can get email notifications when something new posts to your favorite forum? It's easy. Just click the "watch" link right next to the "post new thread" button at the top of your favorite forum. The rest is easy. Now you'll never miss another conversation.
  • Want to become an expert user? Drop by the How to use this forum section and all will be revealed. We'll show you how to make the most of your experience.
Nov 9, 2017
Has anyone had exceptionally good or bad experiences with their travel insurance companies? I've been covered by World Nomads for the past 3 years, but my current policy is up this month and I need to decide whether to stay with them or find a new company. About 6 months ago I filed a claim after being mugged in Mexico. It was for my stolen phone, and covered by their policy terms, but they gave me such a runaround I was about to give up when I was told about Elliott, who saved the day. My main concern isn't property, as I travel with just a backpack, nor is it trip coverage as I book one way as I go with budget flights & accommodations, including house and pet sitting. What's most important to me is emergency medical and evacuation coverage, something I hope to never use, but want in case I need it. I also want a company who is there during an emergency and does what they say they'll do without a huge hassle. Maybe all insurance companies make filing a claim difficult, but I'd love to know if there's a good one out there, as well as which ones to stay away from. I book by the year as I'm a full-time nomad, and so don't have primary insurance as I'm not in my home country (US) very much, but do want to be covered when I go there (WN covered me 100 miles outside of my US snail mail address). I've seen policies everywhere from $61 a year to thousands. WN just raised my yearly rate from $1050 to $1120 after my claim. Any help is greatly appreciated! Thank you

Neil Maley

Staff Member
Advocate
Dec 27, 2014
New York
www.promalvacations.com
Insuremytrip.com is your friend. We cannot recommend or endorse specific companies but that website will give you information on all the major travel insurance companies do you can compare them and find the one that works best.

Patina

Verified Member
Dec 22, 2015
As @Neil stated, Elliott forum doesn’t endorse a particular company but, personally, I have a MedJetAssist annual policy for emergency evacuation. It is NOT trip insurance. I have not needed it so cannot attest to their claim services.

jsn55

Verified Member
Dec 26, 2014
San Francisco
@jsn55 raves about MedJet. She'll come along shortly to tell her story!
Yes indeedy, Lynn. We've had MedJet Emergency Medical Evac Insurance for many years, long before I joined this forum. My experience has been 1000% positive; my husband broke his hip in Paris two years ago and they were right there to take care of us. By this I mean that I emailed them at 4am their time from Paris and had a call back to my hotel in 20 minutes. I wrote the whole story on the insurance forum ... late September or October of 2015. Title is something like "Think you don't need travel insurance? Think again". I recommend them to every traveller I meet. Important to note that MedJet is very specific coverage, so you'll want to look closely at all the details on their website to be sure they offer just what you need.