1. Hi Guest, welcome to the help forum. You can get fast answers to your customer service questions here. We have a dedicated team of advocates who are ready to help. Just go to the section that matches your question and ask us!
    Dismiss Notice
  2. If you've posted a question or issue for our advocates to assist with, please be sure to check back frequently for responses and requests for clarification.
    Dismiss Notice
  3. Did you know you can get email notifications when something new posts to your favorite forum? It's easy. Just click the "watch" link right next to the "post new thread" button at the top of your favorite forum. The rest is easy. Now you'll never miss another conversation.
    Dismiss Notice
  4. Want to become an expert user? Drop by the How to use this forum section and all will be revealed. We'll show you how to make the most of your experience.
    Dismiss Notice

Travel Insurance and Foster Families

Discussion in 'Insurance' started by Joe Wojnowski, Jun 9, 2017.

  1. Joe Wojnowski

    Joined:
    Feb 15, 2017
    Messages:
    3
    Likes Received:
    1
    My wife and I are foster parents. The kids are scheduled to return to their parents this July. However, it's up to the judge. Things look promising for the kids, but there is an off chance this could change.

    We are planning on a trip to Ireland (just my wife and I) in October. There are some great fares currently available that may not be available in 6-8 weeks.

    Does anyone know of any travel insurance policy that would cover trip cancellation in the event the courts keep the kids with us.
     
    #1
  2. ADM

    ADM

    Joined:
    Apr 10, 2017
    Messages:
    262
    Likes Received:
    422
    You'd probably have to get one with the CFAR option (Cancel For Any Reason).
     
    #2
    Neil likes this.
  3. johnbaker

    johnbaker Moderator
    Staff Member Advocate

    Joined:
    Oct 2, 2014
    Messages:
    641
    Likes Received:
    1,025
    @Joe Wojnowski I'm aware of a couple of policies that cover you if you have a court appearance, I'm not aware of any for this circumstance. If it was me, I'd call a couple of the big providers and ask them specifically about your circumstance.
     
    #3
  4. AAGK

    Joined:
    Aug 28, 2015
    Messages:
    3,747
    Likes Received:
    2,927
    Or just wait until after the Judge issues his order to schedule travel. Children are a huge responsibility and parents are usually unable to book travel at the random point in time when a flash sale or great fare appears.
     
    #4
    joycexyz likes this.
  5. VoR61

    Advocate

    Joined:
    Jan 6, 2015
    Messages:
    1,469
    Likes Received:
    1,350
    The best way to find out is to contact a trip insurance broker (one who handles multiply insurers). They are trained for such questions.
     
    #5
    jsn55 likes this.
  6. kenish

    Staff Member Advocate

    Joined:
    Sep 1, 2015
    Messages:
    1,041
    Likes Received:
    1,771
    Keep in mind the surge of discount, budget airlines is a big "game-changer" for Transatlantic fares. Some airlines are fairly new (Norwegian, WOW, etc) while others are well-established but expanding (AerLingus, Air Berlin...) And several mainstream carriers such as BA have announced discount subsidiaries under a different brand name.

    The point is whether it's a discount or "mainline" airline, there's heavy downward pressure on TA fares while inventory is increasing. Also, the strong dollar helps with non-US airlines. It sounds like you will have a court ruling by July. Since that's 3 months in advance and October is off-peak travel season, chances are good there will still be excellent fares.

    This is IMHO, a professional travel agent (which I'm not) may have a different perspective and advice. I agree with others that trip insurance is important no matter what, but in your situation contact a broker who will have good advice. I use tripinsurancestore.com ; Insuremytrip and Squaremouth are equally good.
     
    #6
    jsn55 and VoR61 like this.
  7. Neil

    Neil Moderator
    Staff Member Advocate

    Joined:
    Dec 27, 2014
    Messages:
    9,554
    Likes Received:
    9,982
    As a travel agent I would not book this trip until I knew for sure if the kids will be with you or not. Unless you can find a Cancel for Any Reason policy (which are expensive) there really isn't a policy that would cover your reason for canceling.

    Packages you purchase generally have non refundable flights and there are penalties once you pay a deposit.

    October is not the high season to travel so I don't think prIcing is going to go up tremendously. If the air goes up another $100 pp while you wait to find out, I can promise you it will be less than buying expensive CFAR insurance which will NOT provide you with a 100% refund or the cancellation fees you will gave if you cancel after you buy.
     
    #7
    joycexyz, kenish and jsn55 like this.
  8. jsn55

    Staff Member Advocate

    Joined:
    Dec 26, 2014
    Messages:
    5,559
    Likes Received:
    5,506
    I use Dan Drennan in Omaha, good TI broker. I'm doubtful if your reason would be covered at a reasonable rate, but you should ask. Buying October tix in July should still get you good fares ... as kenish has outlined. Good luck and thanks for being there for those kids.
     
    #8

Share This Page