Travel domestic roundtrip with a roundtrip international trip

• Hi Guest, welcome to the help forum. You can get fast answers to your customer service questions here. We have a dedicated team of advocates who are ready to help. Just go to the section that matches your question and ask us!
  • If you've posted a question or issue for our advocates to assist with, please be sure to check back frequently for responses and requests for clarification.
  • Did you know you can get email notifications when something new posts to your favorite forum? It's easy. Just click the "watch" link right next to the "post new thread" button at the top of your favorite forum. The rest is easy. Now you'll never miss another conversation.
  • Want to become an expert user? Drop by the How to use this forum section and all will be revealed. We'll show you how to make the most of your experience.
Mar 13, 2018
I am planning a European vacation and would like to visit New York City first from the west coast and then fly from NYC to London. This is what I was thinking to do: Purchase a RT ticket from Seattle to NYC. Purchase a RT ticket from NYC to London. My concern is that my return trip from NYC to SEA is after the FT NYC-London flight. Using a multicity ticket is twice as expensive as two roundtrip tickets. But am I allowed to purchase two round-trip tickets when there's an international flight inbetween? Or am I better off using a multi-city ticket?

Linda Lou

Neil Maley

Staff Member
Advocate
Dec 27, 2014
New York
www.promalvacations.com
Are the one ways cheaper? What not a one way Seattle- Ny And why a r/t from NYC? Why not a multi city from NY-London and London- Seattle?

You are booking what is called a throw away ticket and the airlines frown upon it. They can void your ticket if they find it (and in some cases ban you from flying that airlines) although chances are small they would catch it.

Sep 12, 2015
Perhaps I'm confused. I thought the OP was proposing to buy 2 roundtrip tickets --- SEA-NYC, and NYC-LON -- and then planning to use all four legs. Not sure why that would be considered a "throw-away" ticket.

Since he's already planning to spend a few days in NYC on the outbound, then his only danger is a delay on the return. Since the two tickets won't be connected, he'd be out of luck if the LON-NYC leg is late and he misses the NYC-SEA flight. That concern could be eliminated if he breaks-up his NYC stay so he spends a few days in New York on the outbound AND the return.

jsn55

Verified Member
Dec 26, 2014
San Francisco
I am planning a European vacation and would like to visit New York City first from the west coast and then fly from NYC to London. This is what I was thinking to do: Purchase a RT ticket from Seattle to NYC. Purchase a RT ticket from NYC to London. My concern is that my return trip from NYC to SEA is after the FT NYC-London flight. Using a multicity ticket is twice as expensive as two roundtrip tickets. But am I allowed to purchase two round-trip tickets when there's an international flight inbetween? Or am I better off using a multi-city ticket?

Linda Lou
I don't know what this sentence means: My concern is that my return trip from NYC to SEA is after the FT NYC-London flight. I see no problem with two R/T tix, as long as you're spending a few days in NYC. Two separate PNRs have the potential for connection issues, so if you're planning on flying LON-NYC, then catching your flight home booked on the second PNR, there might be a timing problem. If your outbound flight is late or cancelled, you'll have no protection on the second PNR.

Neil Maley

Staff Member
Advocate
Dec 27, 2014
New York
www.promalvacations.com
I don't know what this sentence means: My concern is that my return trip from NYC to SEA is after the FT NYC-London flight.
That’s what has me thinking there is an unused ticket. What is an FT NYC- London ticket?

I just priced this 3 ways for Linda using Delta. She was right that doing everything on one ticket as multi city is the most expensive. I don’t know her dates but I put in dates for April and doing one ticket, Sea-Jfk, Jfk- LHR, LHR-SEA was $2282.91 for one ticket for the dates I chose.

2 R/T - Sea-Jfk And JFK-LHR was $1710.21.

Least expensive was a one way and multi city- 2 way Sea- JFK, then a multi city JFK-LHR-SEA was $1511.91

I wouldn’t take a chance with 2 r/t having to land at JFK returning home and co/ordinating times to arrive early enough from LHR- JFK to land, go through Immigration, collecting luggage, going through Customs and then having to take your luggage and check in for your flight to Seattle, then go through security again to get to your gate on time for the JFK-Sea portion of your ticket. You are making more work and stress for yourself and if your flight from LHR-JFK is late or canceled, your last leg from JFK to SEA is useless- you’ll have to buy a new ticket.

Do the one way and then multi city. It’s the cheapest way to go and the most sensible to come home with.

Plus- something like this can happen when you have too many tickets:

http://www.elliott.org/case-dismiss...t-purchase-two-one-way-tickets-to-save-money/