Toys-R-Us -- Lack of Customer Notification

• Hi Guest, welcome to the help forum. You can get fast answers to your customer service questions here. We have a dedicated team of advocates who are ready to help. Just go to the section that matches your question and ask us!
  • If you've posted a question or issue for our advocates to assist with, please be sure to check back frequently for responses and requests for clarification.
  • Did you know you can get email notifications when something new posts to your favorite forum? It's easy. Just click the "watch" link right next to the "post new thread" button at the top of your favorite forum. The rest is easy. Now you'll never miss another conversation.
  • Want to become an expert user? Drop by the How to use this forum section and all will be revealed. We'll show you how to make the most of your experience.
Nov 22, 2014
One week ago I ordered a Cozmo by Anki on the Toys-R-Us website for my 9 year old nephew. I received email acknowledgment followed several minutes later by a confirmation for my order. Today I checked the order on the Toys-R-Us website and saw that it was canceled. When I called customer service, the automated phone system indicated that there was insufficient information to complete my order. Next I attempted to order this item again and found it out of stock. I then spoke to a Toys-R-Us telephone sales representative who said that this was not an unusual happening with their company sales volume. Apparently, this is a very popular item and the market appears to be very hot.

I am writing to let readers know that an order from Toys-R-Us is not necessarily confirmed by indication on the web site that there is actual stock on hand. Also, customers should not expect to receive the courtesy of an electronic notice if an order is cancelled. It appears to be the customers responsibility to monitor order status. Not a good way to run a business. My family is very disappointed.

jsn55

Verified Member
Dec 26, 2014
San Francisco
One week ago I ordered a Cozmo by Anki on the Toys-R-Us website for my 9 year old nephew. I received email acknowledgment followed several minutes later by a confirmation for my order. Today I checked the order on the Toys-R-Us website and saw that it was canceled. When I called customer service, the automated phone system indicated that there was insufficient information to complete my order. Next I attempted to order this item again and found it out of stock. I then spoke to a Toys-R-Us telephone sales representative who said that this was not an unusual happening with their company sales volume. Apparently, this is a very popular item and the market appears to be very hot.

I am writing to let readers know that an order from Toys-R-Us is not necessarily confirmed by indication on the web site that there is actual stock on hand. Also, customers should not expect to receive the courtesy of an electronic notice if an order is cancelled. It appears to be the customers responsibility to monitor order status. Not a good way to run a business. My family is very disappointed.
Yup, we sacrifice customer service for the convenience of the internet. Their volume is so high, most companies don't even pretend that they are interested in their customers. If things go well, that's great; if not, silence prevails.

R

Realitoes

This is usually set up so notifications go out automatically (without human intervention). Unfortunately there are several points of failure that can occur. Not all of them are under the control of the company themselves.

Two of the most common are a typo in the email address, or the email went to the spam folder (and depending on your setting could have been deleted). Another is email provider controls. If your email provider detects a large amount of emails from one or more email address during a specified period of time, they may bounce the emails (this is to prevent email bombs). Guess what, companies that do high volume business, tend to send out large amounts of email.

The take away is the problem could be the companies or it may not be. Just like snail mail, there is no guarantee everything sent to you will actually arrive. Unfortunately, there is no way to know who is at fault and therefore, you should never count on receiving these notices.

Feb 9, 2016

It's SUCH a letdown, isn't it! You place an item in your shopping cart, expecting to order it and, sometimes even before you check out, the item is sold out!

This process is most likely akin to the airlines overselling each flight, counting on a certain percentage of passengers to cancel. The ones who confirm their flight 'first' make the plane, the ones who are late to the game, get bumped. The lack of notification when the order is cancelled is such a lack of customer service

Looks like Amazon and Walmart have it in stock. Walmart appears to be redirecting to other sellers.

Good luck

Feb 9, 2016
I had it happen with gearbest.com I ordered a Roomba type vacuum and an additional virtual wall. Im not sure why they cancelled my virtual wall order, but it worked out well because I actually didn't need the extra one. I avoided the return shipping fees.

Aug 28, 2015
New York

What info was missing? If all the necessary info was present then the item would've been in stock. I assume you filled out the usual boxes.

What info was missing? If all the necessary info was present then the item would've been in stock. I assume you filled out the usual boxes.
I'm sure there is no one remotely competent to answer that question at a Toys-R-Us call center. Nor can they find out.

You can and should escalate the matter to an exec at TRU and tell them you intend to find the item on Ebay or elsewhere and expect a TRU gift card / credit for the difference in price -

What happened was a) the system was overwhelmed and took orders without regard to stock, or b) the internet decided to sell at a premium on eBay using a pseudonym store account to increase profit or c) they did not receive an order they thought they would and lacked stock and just cancelled orders.

The problem for the exec here is two-fold - first off is the lack of notice - second is the difference in price locating one - you had a contract - especially if your card was charged and then credited. The execs need to find out what happened there -

Last edited:
Aug 28, 2015
New York
I'm sure there is no one remotely competent to answer that question at a Toys-R-Us call center. Nor can they find out.

You can and should escalate the matter to an exec at TRU and tell them you intend to find the item on Ebay or elsewhere and expect a TRU gift card / credit for the difference in price -

What happened was a) the system was overwhelmed and took orders without regard to stock, or b) the internet decided to sell at a premium on eBay using a pseudonym store account to increase profit or c) they did not receive an order they thought they would and lacked stock and just cancelled orders.

The problem for the exec here is two-fold - first off is the lack of notice - second is the difference in price locating one - you had a contract - especially if your card was charged and then credited. The execs need to find out what happened there -
What happened is the toy was too popular and sold out. I've ordered things online and this has happened without "missing info." I assume this means there was an issue with the credit card. With a popular item, then that will put you on the back of the list.

This happened with the Apple Watch, I just remembered.
I bought it as a gift and when it was ready to ship, I forgot I had lost and replaced my Amex so the first charge didn't go through. It caused a one month delay. I'm sure this woman will get her item when it's back in stock.