Too long a wait for our car at Dollar LAX

• Hi Guest, welcome to the help forum. You can get fast answers to your customer service questions here. We have a dedicated team of advocates who are ready to help. Just go to the section that matches your question and ask us!
  • If you've posted a question or issue for our advocates to assist with, please be sure to check back frequently for responses and requests for clarification.
  • Did you know you can get email notifications when something new posts to your favorite forum? It's easy. Just click the "watch" link right next to the "post new thread" button at the top of your favorite forum. The rest is easy. Now you'll never miss another conversation.
  • Want to become an expert user? Drop by the How to use this forum section and all will be revealed. We'll show you how to make the most of your experience.
We rented a Dollar car on 10/26/17. We waited over 30 min in the sun along with 30 other frustrated customers, AFTER we had all completed the paperwork for rental cars we had booked months ago. No manager in sight, and a very frazzled employee who sympathized with us as cars trickled onto the lot, one every 4-5 minutes. Some customers left without cars, as I imagine they had business appointments they could not miss. We would like an apology, and wish th at Hertz/Dollar management would look into the problem. We would expect compensation for our wait, or we will take our business to other rental companies in the future. We rent a car 3-4 5imes a year.

Neil Maley

Staff Member
Advocate
Dec 27, 2014
New York
www.promalvacations.com
I think we've had this happen once or twice. I do think you should let them know on the executive level what happened but really - not sure there us anything they can do but apologize. If people at the office called in sick or something like that, I would have a little sympathy for the poor guy that did come to work.

I just rented a car in Savannah and waited 35 minutes on line - only one person and a flight had just come in. It wouldn't occur to me to ask for compensation as I saw the poor woman working as hard as she could.

We have company contacts under car rentals. I would use that to write to the company and tell them they were severely understaffed that day and perhaps they could give you some points.

jsn55

Verified Member
Dec 26, 2014
San Francisco
Yup, I've waited 30+ minutes to pick up a car. It happens. Important that you let the executives know and also tell them how their employees handled the situation. The front-line people at a car rental place may not be the highest-paid employees and I know that the turn-over is high. Working conditions are not that great ... especially when others don't show up for work and a huge line develops. Sounds like the employee you dealt with did the best they could under the circumstances.

John Galbraith

Staff Member
Director
Jan 22, 2017
Poole
Hi Karen,

Neil has given good advice about if you are going to ask for anything then ask for points because I don't think the company will see 30 minutes as an excessive wait and may see the complaint as frivolous. Therefore you are best to ask for a little something and that something to be a small amount of points.

Also if you are going to write I would avoid saying you rent 3/4/5 times a year and if they don't provide compensation you will take your business elsewhere. Firstly 3/4/5 times isn't much. I rent cars at least that many times a month and I don't consider myself a high renter.

More importantly as we say in our FAQ's threats such as this guarantee failure. Companies, like individuals, don't respond well to threats and it normally means your complaint gets filed in the bin.

Hope that helps.

Last edited:

Neil Maley

Staff Member
Advocate
Dec 27, 2014
New York
www.promalvacations.com
Hi Karen,

Neil has given good advice about if you are going to ask for anything then ask for points because I don't think the company will see 30 minutes as an excessive wait and may see the complaint as frivolous. Therefore you are best to ask for a little something and that something to be a small amount of points.

Also if you are going to write I would avoid saying you rent 3/4/5 times a year and if they don't provide compensation you will take your business elsewhere. Firstly 3/4/5 times isn't much. I rent cars that at least that many times a month and I don't consider myself a high renter.

More importantly as we say in our FAQ's threats such as this guarantee failure. Companies, like individuals, don't respond well to threats and it normally means your complaint gets filed in the bin.

Hope that helps.
Plus if you threaten to take your business elsewhere they have no reason to want to do anything for you.