Timeshare renewal during COVID

• Hi Guest, welcome to the help forum. You can get fast answers to your customer service questions here. We have a dedicated team of advocates who are ready to help. Just go to the section that matches your question and ask us!
  • If you've posted a question or issue for our advocates to assist with, please be sure to check back frequently for responses and requests for clarification.
  • Did you know you can get email notifications when something new posts to your favorite forum? It's easy. Just click the "watch" link right next to the "post new thread" button at the top of your favorite forum. The rest is easy. Now you'll never miss another conversation.
  • Want to become an expert user? Drop by the How to use this forum section and all will be revealed. We'll show you how to make the most of your experience.
Mar 26, 2021
We have been with RCI for 25 years. We have a very significant points/week (over 150) expiring in the next few months. Obviously, no one has been able to travel for a while and it will be difficult for the coming months at least. It is expiring and we will have to pay about $250 to get it extended. I asked RCI if they could just extend it as a courtesy for at least six months by which time we might be able to travel at least some. They refuse. I realize that these are extraordinary times and that this is how they make their money. But it would seem that losing the faith of their best customers is also important.

Patina

Verified Member
Dec 22, 2015
Where are the options for using the points? To say that no one has been able to travel is not actually true. All sorts of protocols are being implemented across the country so people can visit cities and states safely. This may be a good time to use those points because the later in the year and next year, the harder it will be to find availability. There is a lot of pent up energy to travel, some of that energy is being expended now, while others are waiting until 'everyone' is vaccinated.

The other option is to write to the execs of RCI, one at a time, asking for an exception to their rules.

Comicman

Jul 13, 2020
It is expiring and we will have to pay about $250 to get it extended.
In another perspective , it is somewhat lucky that they are offering to protect your points for a fee. Many time shares are not and using any expired timeshares to help stay in business.
It might be a choice of if your points are worth spending this extra money.
More perspective. Covid is not RCI's fault and as Covid is a pandemic ( read "act of G-D"). They could do nothing and just let peoples points expire. I think they are balancing their user's happiness with keeping in business.
I agree with others that you can always ask for a good will gesture but do so showing you are asking them a big favor and not accusatory.
I would though not let this offer expire if the points are worth more then $250.00 ( which I think they are). Better to pay $250.00 then lose those points.

Mar 26, 2021
In another perspective , it is somewhat lucky that they are offering to protect your points for a fee. Many time shares are not and using any expired timeshares to help stay in business.
It might be a choice of if your points are worth spending this extra money.
More perspective. Covid is not RCI's fault and as Covid is a pandemic ( read "act of G-D"). They could do nothing and just let peoples points expire. I think they are balancing their user's happiness with keeping in business.
I agree with others that you can always ask for a good will gesture but do so showing you are asking them a big favor and not accusatory.
I would though not let this offer expire if the points are worth more then $250.00 ( which I think they are). Better to pay $250.00 then lose those points.
They "always" let us renew and extend for a fee. That is how it rolled up to where we could rent a castle. (I wonder what the availability of the Louvre is...) But your advice is appreciated.