Timeshare Help

• Hi Guest, welcome to the help forum. You can get fast answers to your customer service questions here. We have a dedicated team of advocates who are ready to help. Just go to the section that matches your question and ask us!
  • If you've posted a question or issue for our advocates to assist with, please be sure to check back frequently for responses and requests for clarification.
  • Did you know you can get email notifications when something new posts to your favorite forum? It's easy. Just click the "watch" link right next to the "post new thread" button at the top of your favorite forum. The rest is easy. Now you'll never miss another conversation.
  • Want to become an expert user? Drop by the How to use this forum section and all will be revealed. We'll show you how to make the most of your experience.
Sep 19, 2015
We just received a phone call from Diamond resorts. 2 years ago we discontinued our club membership that used points to trade to other resorts. It was a very lengthy and painful process that was only successful since I used certified, registered mail, numerous phone calls, and finally a very nasty post to social media. We did keep our deeded week at our home resort that is owned by Diamond resorts. According to this phone call, they have a new program for owners of deeded properties that would allow us to see banked properties available for trade. They want us to attend a 2-1/2 hour long dinner/presentation and state that the new owners have signed a "pledge" that they will not use high pressure sales tactic. Has anyone out there heard this presentation? What's the catch?

If you had a lengthy and painful process with them then why would you want to have any further voluntary dealings with them. And high pressure sales is sort of open to interpretation. How good could the dinner actually be to have to listen to a sales talk?

Carrie Livingston

Staff Member
Advocate
Jan 6, 2015
We just received a phone call from Diamond resorts. 2 years ago we discontinued our club membership that used points to trade to other resorts. It was a very lengthy and painful process that was only successful since I used certified, registered mail, numerous phone calls, and finally a very nasty post to social media. We did keep our deeded week at our home resort that is owned by Diamond resorts. According to this phone call, they have a new program for owners of deeded properties that would allow us to see banked properties available for trade. They want us to attend a 2-1/2 hour long dinner/presentation and state that the new owners have signed a "pledge" that they will not use high pressure sales tactic. Has anyone out there heard this presentation? What's the catch?
What's the catch? You're going to be sucked into another club membership that you've already gotten out of once. Run, fast and far away!

Jan 21, 2018
Hello, Cindy,

I just read about your experience with Diamond Resorts and the issue of misrepresentation by the sales person. Sorry to say but that is typical of the timeshare industry salespeople. My wife and I have owned deeded, leased and points based timeshares at one time or another since 1985. We have attended numerous 'update meetings' (actually sales presentations) and stated sales presentations. I learned years ago that if a timeshare salespersons's lips are moving, they're probably lying.

One fact of timesharing is that many owners will book their week or time and list it on Home Away or VRBO for rent as a means to pay for their maintenance fees. When we were unable to confirm our 3 exchange requests into Hawaii for this year, we ended up renting one of the three weeks through Home Away. Wyndham lists many of it's developer controlled timeshares for rent on the Sky Auction web site. So, you will see developers and owners making their timeshare units available to the public.

Good luck.

Last edited by a moderator:

jsn55

Verified Member
Dec 26, 2014
San Francisco
Thank you for posting this, mtbeales, very good to know. I can't help but think that the more people who are educated about time-shares, the better off we all are. Americans are odd ducks ... many of us grew up at a time and place where 'your word was your bond'. We were not raised to be suspicious of others. The TS people are no doubt descended from the snake-oil salesmen and saw how easy it would be to hoodwink folks into parting with lots of money for essentially little benefit.

Jun 27, 2017
Hi Rweston. I would suggest you NOT go to the presentation. You will be totally drained after the first hour. How do I know? We became Diamond owners here in AZ in late 2015. Our AG filed against them and Diamond agreed to an $800,000 settlement that also allowed current Diamond timeshare owners get out of the ownership/membership/whatever. https://www.azag.gov/press-release/...h-announces-800000-settlement-diamond-resorts The deadline to get out for us is long past. That said, we have NEVER been able to use our points at some of the resorts we'd like to go to - they are always BOOKED. We have been fortunate to be able to use them in Arizona - so far. For the first 2 years we did NOT have a Club Membership Fee. Now we do. $250/year on TOP of ever-growing maintenance fees.