The right travel insurance

• Hi Guest, welcome to the help forum. You can get fast answers to your customer service questions here. We have a dedicated team of advocates who are ready to help. Just go to the section that matches your question and ask us!
  • If you've posted a question or issue for our advocates to assist with, please be sure to check back frequently for responses and requests for clarification.
  • Did you know you can get email notifications when something new posts to your favorite forum? It's easy. Just click the "watch" link right next to the "post new thread" button at the top of your favorite forum. The rest is easy. Now you'll never miss another conversation.
  • Want to become an expert user? Drop by the How to use this forum section and all will be revealed. We'll show you how to make the most of your experience.

jsn55

Verified Member
Dec 26, 2014
San Francisco
What we tell clients:
If you can afford to lose everything you have paid if you have to cancel your trip, or if you can afford to pay out of pocket for any accidents or hospitalizations while you are traveling - then you don't need travel insurance.
If you can't, you do.
So true, Neil, just get out a legal pad and a calculator to add up what you'd lose and decide if you can deal with kind of that loss. Then the decision becomes easy.

Oct 5, 2015
We have purchased through Alliantz previously but have never had to use it. I recently heard a prominent radio talk show host speak negatively of the company as her husband took ill suddenly and died before their planned trip and Alliantz after making them "jump through hoops numerous times" denied the claim. She contacted Delta airlines who refunded all their money. Thoughts on Alliantz???

JVillegirl541

Verified Member
Nov 21, 2014
We have purchased through Alliantz previously but have never had to use it. I recently heard a prominent radio talk show host speak negatively of the company as her husband took ill suddenly and died before their planned trip and Alliantz after making them "jump through hoops numerous times" denied the claim. She contacted Delta airlines who refunded all their money. Thoughts on Alliantz???
Dear @kittie koukalik i don't think there is anything wrong with the company however Travel insurance companies have hundreds (if not more) policies and each has different terms, benefits and price points. No two policies are the same. It's very possible the person whose story you heard simply did not have the right policy.

I would strongly urge you to do your research before buying your Travel Insurance and know what features are important to you before you buy and also that policies generally have a 10 day period after purchase to read your policy and make sure it's everything you need. Please read it before purchasing too.
There are several great websites that have really good education and policies to choose from some of them are:
Thetripinsurancestore and Insuremytrip And squaremouth.com (who is a sponsor of our site). All these sites have phone assistance which I personally like because I find trying to buy online to be confusing and have lots of questions because my situation never seems to fit in the "little box".
I hope my comments are helpful! Bottom line it's purchasing the right policy that is important :)

Neil Maley

Staff Member
Advocate
Dec 27, 2014
New York
www.promalvacations.com
They are fine and so are most travel insurance companies but they have paperwork that has to be filed to prove your claim and if you don't provide what they need, they DO give you a hard time. The onus is on the passenger to prove their claim. If you use a travel agent to book, they can help with claims.

jsn55

Verified Member
Dec 26, 2014
San Francisco
I wouldn't put a lot of faith in a talk show host's experience with travel insurance, kittie. Travel insurance coverage is a supremely personal thing and everybody needs to do their own research to find the best policy for their needs.

Mar 4, 2015
Allianz policies were marketed as "Access America" until 2012.

I don't believe they enjoyed a good reputation as "Access America" and they were the subject of most of the consumer travel insurance complaints that Chris wrote about from 2009 to 2012 (see: http://elliott.org/tag/access-america/)

On the other hand, they did sponsor a 5 part series of articles authored by Chris about travel insurance in 2011.

You can peruse more recent articles since the Allianz re-branding here: http://elliott.org/tag/allianz/ and here: http://elliott.org/?s=Allianz . You can use the search box on the home page to find articles involving other insurers and compare (of course we would expect insurers with larger market share to have more complaints).

As you can see, Allianz is currently an underwriter of this site.

Note that neither Squaremouth nor TripInsuranceStore.com currently offers Allianz policies for sale. FWIW.

Neil Maley

Staff Member
Advocate
Dec 27, 2014
New York
www.promalvacations.com
We mainly use Travel Guard and Travel Insured. I have never had a problem with either. As long as the required documentation is provided. And we've had to get involved once or twice to help clients get the paperwork they need. But in 14 years we have had one claim not honored and we told the client not to cancel because it wasn't going to be a covered reason.