THE CRUISE FROM HELL

• Hi Guest, welcome to the help forum. You can get fast answers to your customer service questions here. We have a dedicated team of advocates who are ready to help. Just go to the section that matches your question and ask us!
  • If you've posted a question or issue for our advocates to assist with, please be sure to check back frequently for responses and requests for clarification.
  • Did you know you can get email notifications when something new posts to your favorite forum? It's easy. Just click the "watch" link right next to the "post new thread" button at the top of your favorite forum. The rest is easy. Now you'll never miss another conversation.
  • Want to become an expert user? Drop by the How to use this forum section and all will be revealed. We'll show you how to make the most of your experience.
Mar 1, 2018
January 21 5 days of hell on the Carnival Victory took the family 3 rooms 7 people
paid $4000

1. reserved a room with bunk got a cot in room so there was no room to walk
2. They ran out of Kosher food on the second night a cruise with no food we had some food with us but it was crazy to have no dinner on a cruise ship they got food off another ship in port
3. waterslide for kids never opened and never worked
4. theatre had a problem and they did not have the regular shows we had a lasso and bullwhip show ??????????????? a hypnotist who told us we could hire him for private parties
5. laundry never worked
6. public bathrooms were filthy a health hazard
7. smell of sewerage fans all over
8. tv in room had to be reset 3 times
9. sink in room had to be repaired
10. waited to pick up my liquor purchase 45 minutes on a line the last morning
11. men working in our hallway very noisy no quiet
12. steward could not even manage a bucket of ice each night
13. hot tubs broken most of the time not working or too hot

THE CRUISE FROM HELL!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! They offered me a $450 onboard credit for my next cruise. I DONT THINK SO

Neil Maley

Staff Member
Advocate
Dec 27, 2014
New York
www.promalvacations.com
Did you make your special dietary reservation for Kosher at least two weeks prior? We have never had a problem on Carnival or any other cruise with them running out as long as we made our reservations for it ahead of time. What did they as to why they ran out???
I agree here- there is a special form to complete when you have dietary restrictions. Did you complete that and send it in? If you did then you have a legitimate complaint. If you didn’t- unfortunately they have to special order kosher food and I can this happenening.

Jan 6, 2015
What to do . . .
You can present your case to them for consideration by using the Company Contacts link at the top of this page.
Before you do, be sure to read and follow the instructions at the top of the first page. Include your desired resolution.

I suggest you include items 1, 2, 3, 5, 7, and 13. The rest of them will likely be considered "maintenance" and not a reason for compensation . . .

Jul 13, 2016
I have some observations and questions. I want to be clear that I am in no way trying to excuse Carnival, but I would like a clearer understanding of the situations.
1. reserved a room with bunk got a cot in room so there was no room to walk. What type of stateroom and how many people booked? what did the deck plan say was the bed option in this room? not every room has the upper berth option.
2. They ran out of Kosher food on the second night a cruise with no food we had some food with us but it was crazy to have no dinner on a cruise ship they got food off another ship in port. To be clear, they did restock the ship while in port? How many meals did you miss? And, as others have asked, did you put in your dietary needs/requests in at least 2 weeks before sailing?
3. waterslide for kids never opened and never worked
4. theatre had a problem and they did not have the regular shows we had a lasso and bullwhip show ??????????????? a hypnotist who told us we could hire him for private parties
5. laundry never worked This refers to the self-service laundry? So, no washers on any floor were operational? Dryers?
6. public bathrooms were filthy a health hazard Did you report this to guest services whilst on board?
7. smell of sewerage fans all over Did you report this whilst on board?
8. tv in room had to be reset 3 times sounds tedious
9. sink in room had to be repaired sometimes sinks and toilets fail. Did they repair promptly?
10. waited to pick up my liquor purchase 45 minutes on a line the last morning quite typical
11. men working in our hallway very noisy no quiet sounds like they were doing the maintenance for that sewage smell.
12. steward could not even manage a bucket of ice each night Did you specifically request the ice daily? It used to be common for a fresh bucket of ice to be in your room in the evening, but many lines have moved to request only.
13. hot tubs broken most of the time not working or too hot Did you report this on board?

Mar 1, 2018
We ordered the kosher food in April and checked on it many times b4 our January 21 cruise. We missed 1 dinner but there was a very very limited selection of food for the other meals as thtook what was left over from the other ship. Ordered a state room with bunks on top. I was with the agent when he confirmed it for 3 with carnival I have been about 35 cruises and never had to wait on line for my purchases. Took the family on carnival b4 and had no problem

This ship came out of dry dock for our cruise was not inspected properly and ditched 160 crew as they knew it was s mess and put contractors on instead. To say people were unhappy would be an understatement. Carnival Victory. A real disaster!!!!!!

Jul 13, 2016
We ordered the kosher food in April and checked on it many times b4 our January 21 cruise. We missed 1 dinner but there was a very very limited selection of food for the other meals as thtook what was left over from the other ship. Ordered a state room with bunks on top. I was with the agent when he confirmed it for 3 with carnival I have been about 35 cruises and never had to wait on line for my purchases. Took the family on carnival b4 and had no problem

This ship came out of dry dock for our cruise was not inspected properly and ditched 160 crew as they knew it was s mess and put contractors on instead. To say people were unhappy would be an understatement. Carnival Victory. A real disaster!!!!!!
Concerning the Kosher food, you do have a serious and legitimate complaint. Concerning the reduction in crew, again, a legitimate complaint. About the stateroom, what did the deck plan say about your assigned room? Did it have the little icon representing a upper berth? If yes, were you switched from your original assigned room to a new one? Reason I ask: if the agent did not verify that your assigned room had the requested upper berth (as he/she should have), then you don't have much of a complaint. If you did have the correct bed configuration and Carnival changed it, then you do have a legit complaint.

Mar 1, 2018
Nothing was as requested or ordered. They have offered me $450 onboard credit for next cruise. They are delusional if they think I would agree to that. It was a disaster.

Mar 1, 2018
No all the laundry facilities were locked and we were told they were out of order. This was a problem as we had packed less and had determined to wash aboard. Nothing worked.

Neil Maley

Staff Member
Advocate
Dec 27, 2014
New York
www.promalvacations.com
Since you did pre order the food - you have a legitimate complaint.

Post #5 tells you how to handle. $450 is a good offer. $4000 for 7 people sailing is amazingly inexpensive - that’s $572 pp. They are offering you over 10% back. You can take it further up the Executives but be careful because it could backfire and they could withdraw the offer.

Hopefully an executive will think you deserve more. Make sure you tell them that you pre ordered the food as you were supposed to.

Mar 1, 2018
Someone told me 450$ onboard credit was a good offer. Only if I want to take another Carnivsl Cruise which seems very very unlikely so it is NO offer at all!!!

Carol Phillips

Staff Member
Advocate
Dec 28, 2014
Coastal South Carolina
Others have answered most of your questions and I have to agree with their suggestions.

One thing I would ask is: did you receive a specific cabin number when you booked? (Normally Carnival will assign specific cabins if there are more than two passengers because all cabins hold two people, but not all cabins hold more than two). If so, did you get THAT cabin? And did the printed deck plans show that cabin had an upper berth? If so, there's an issue somewhere within Carnival. If for some reason you didn't have a specific cabin number, Carnival can assign a double cabin with a rollaway bed. Please double check this to see ...

I'm sorry about the kosher food snafu. For others reading this, it's important to know that most cruise lines use pre-packaged frozen Kosher food, and it is NOT cooked from scratch in a kosher kitchen onboard. Since you pre-ordered months before the cruise (and checked along the way) this definitely sounds like a Carnival error. And THIS would be my primary issue, if I were you.

Cruise lines generally offer discounts toward future cruises instead of cash refunds. Rarely is it any other compensation than a future cruise credit.

johnbaker

Verified Member
Oct 2, 2014
@lss500 While you didn't enjoy the cruise, I don't see anywhere where Carnival violated your cruise contract (they're written that its almost impossible for them to). The odds are not really high that they are going to offer anything other than a credit for a future cruise.

If it were me, I'd change your tactic and say something like... "This cruise really showed that I'm not a good fit for Carnival but I think I'm a good fit for [another cruiseline owned by Carnival like Princess or Cunard or Seabourne]. Can you offer the credit on any of those lines instead? I think its a better long term solution for both of us."

After that, permanently fire the travel agent that booked this. They did you no favors what so ever