Target Gift Card Balance Stolen

• Hi Guest, welcome to the help forum. You can get fast answers to your customer service questions here. We have a dedicated team of advocates who are ready to help. Just go to the section that matches your question and ask us!
  • If you've posted a question or issue for our advocates to assist with, please be sure to check back frequently for responses and requests for clarification.
  • Did you know you can get email notifications when something new posts to your favorite forum? It's easy. Just click the "watch" link right next to the "post new thread" button at the top of your favorite forum. The rest is easy. Now you'll never miss another conversation.
  • Want to become an expert user? Drop by the How to use this forum section and all will be revealed. We'll show you how to make the most of your experience.

Neil Maley

Staff Member
Advocate
Dec 27, 2014
New York
www.promalvacations.com
YES!!!! I knew this would be a different case than the others because you had a plausible story, receipts, and the balance was also redeemed in the last store you used it at.

I wonder if they were able to identify the person who used the card or if the register may have had a skimming device on it.

Glad you persevered and that you had receipts and a time frame. And we now know if it is a legitimate claim for a missing balance- Target will indeed investigate it.

Feb 9, 2016
YES!!!! I knew this would be a different case than the others because you had a plausible story, receipts, and the balance was also redeemed in the last store you used it at.

I wonder if they were able to identify the person who used the card or if the register may have had a skimming device on it.

Glad you persevered and that you had receipts and a time frame. And we now know if it is a legitimate claim for a missing balance- Target will indeed investigate it.
At the very least @Neil we have a template of sorts as a reply to fraudulent gift card victims.

1) File a police report (in my opinion, if they hem and haw/refuse to do this, there's something shady going on, obvs not with LW)
2) contact Jana Potts via email. Send Jana
  • The contact info for the police report/if possible, a copy of the actual report
  • a copy of your gift card purchase receipt
  • if possible, a copy of the last purchase you made with the GC showing the remaining balance
  • a copy of your license with the number blacked out (? so she can see who you are)
  • maybe a full body shot picture?
  • ask her to review the CCTV footage from the store where the card was used.

Sep 19, 2015
John I am happy for you. I do suspect that the number was skimmed, and I am glad that you were reimbursed. I do hope that target can identify the person. You did everything right in how you purchased the card. Thank you for the update, it will help future victims of these thieves.