Target Draining my e-Gift Card Purchased Online 12/4 10% Promotion

• Hi Guest, welcome to the help forum. You can get fast answers to your customer service questions here. We have a dedicated team of advocates who are ready to help. Just go to the section that matches your question and ask us!
  • If you've posted a question or issue for our advocates to assist with, please be sure to check back frequently for responses and requests for clarification.
  • Did you know you can get email notifications when something new posts to your favorite forum? It's easy. Just click the "watch" link right next to the "post new thread" button at the top of your favorite forum. The rest is easy. Now you'll never miss another conversation.
  • Want to become an expert user? Drop by the How to use this forum section and all will be revealed. We'll show you how to make the most of your experience.
Dec 15, 2016
https://www.doctorofcredit.com/target-draining-e-gift-cards-purchasedrolled-online-recent-10-promo/

I actually called Target about "invalid card/PIN error." It's
not just an error, they deactivated it for promotion abuse. They insist
buying new gift cards with old gift cards-- abuse (never seen any terms and
conditions about promotion abuse). The supervisor kept saying like a robot;
we can't do anything about it." And he even hung up very rudely.
I don't see how come Target justifies taking customers' money (gift
card is money, it's cash) in this situation. If they cancelled the card
for whatever reason, they must refund the original payment. AND THEY DID
NOT. They can't keep customers' money. It's absolutely obvious.

I also told Gift Card supervisor that people can buy gift card with Target Gift Card in store. He told me
that Target.com and Target store are two different companies. Yes, you can buy gift card with gift card in store; but you can't buy gift card online. Well, how do I know Target has two different policies in store and online?

Neil Maley

Staff Member
Advocate
Dec 27, 2014
New York
www.promalvacations.com
There is a very high rate of fraudulent purchases doing what you are doing. That's why they are giving you a hard time. And when a retailer doesn't state a particular rule on it they are free to make their own rules about how to use them.

They also come with vague terms and conditions saying what they can and can't be used for but it doesn't specifically state it so they can make their own rules.

what are the terms and conditions associated with Target GiftCard purchases?

TERMS AND CONDITIONS ARE APPLIED TO ALL TARGET GIFTCARD PURCHASES. Gift cards are redeemable for merchandise or services (other than prepaid cards and American Express®, MasterCard® and Visa® gift cards and prepaid cards) at Target stores in the U.S. or Target.com, and cannot be redeemed for cash or credit except where required by law. No value until purchased. For balance information, visit Target.com/giftcards or call 1-800-544-2943. To replace the remaining value on a lost, stolen or damaged card with the original purchase receipt, call 1-800-544-2943.

And they also are not the same as cash and cannot be redeemed for cash or credit:

can I return or exchange Target GiftCards?

Returns or exchanges are allowed only on physical gift cards. They require a proof of purchase, must be made within 90 days of purchase and are subject to a 10% restocking fee, unless prohibited by law

Target eGiftCard orders are not returnable or refundable once Target delivers the applicable gift card codes to you (except as required by law). If you wish to cancel an order prior to Target delivering the codes, please contact the Target GiftCard customer service team.

And to top it, if this is a promotional gift card The fair credit act laws may not apply to them at all.

http://www.giftcards.com/gcgf/buy-gift-card-with-gift-card

Mar 25, 2015
cali
I work at target in California and we have never been able to sell gift cards using a gift card. other wise people who do returns could go to a cashier with a lets say $100 card and ask to buy 11 -9 dollar cards (the amount we are allowed to cash out) and a candy bar.
then they could say now cash out all of these.

Dec 17, 2016
The registers DO allow for buying gift cards with target gift cards. I have purchased in California in the past week. So clearly this is not prohibited in store.

And just because there is a high rate of fraudulent purchases does not mean you can retroactively defund a purchase. If your website allowed the order to go through, then cancel the transaction and refund the original payment.

Neil Maley

Staff Member
Advocate
Dec 27, 2014
New York
www.promalvacations.com
The registers DO allow for buying gift cards with target gift cards. I have purchased in California in the past week. So clearly this is not prohibited in store.

And just because there is a high rate of fraudulent purchases does not mean you can retroactively defund a purchase. If your website allowed the order to go through, then cancel the transaction and refund the original payment.
But that is not what they are doing and not one has given a reason on why.