1. Hi Guest, welcome to the help forum. You can get fast answers to your customer service questions here. We have a dedicated team of advocates who are ready to help. Just go to the section that matches your question and ask us!
    Dismiss Notice
  2. If you've posted a question or issue for our advocates to assist with, please be sure to check back frequently for responses and requests for clarification.
    Dismiss Notice
  3. Did you know you can get email notifications when something new posts to your favorite forum? It's easy. Just click the "watch" link right next to the "post new thread" button at the top of your favorite forum. The rest is easy. Now you'll never miss another conversation.
    Dismiss Notice
  4. Want to become an expert user? Drop by the How to use this forum section and all will be revealed. We'll show you how to make the most of your experience.
    Dismiss Notice

Take the time to leave reviews, good or bad

Discussion in 'Amazon' started by Mike Z, Apr 21, 2017.

1. Mike Z

Staff Member Advocate

I try to make it a point of leaving reviews on products I have purchased on Amazon after i have used them for a bit or installed and functioning. You not only help others, but in a case of a poor review, you can find out who the reputable companies out there are. Photos are often more helpful than an entire page of a written review.

In my case I purchased an Aukey car charger several months back. I would notice every few days that the cord would just fall out of the USB plug and a couple times the charger popped out of the accessory socket. I left a review of 2 stars pointing out my issues and within 24 hours a representative of Aukey contacted me for my order number and is sending me a brand new charger. I'm hopeful of a good working unit as the product has over 4 stars overall. Not only am I getting the replacement, but having the company be proactive with complaints has instilled confidence in their customer service and warranty policy.

So take the few moments when you can and leave a review and help someone else out, maybe even yourself.

2. kenish

Staff Member Advocate

I assume you revised the review after their good response?

3. Neil

Neil Moderator
    Staff Member Advocate

My wife just posted two reviews on Amazon - one they refused to print because she complained about the poor customer service from one company. She received a note from Amazon saying that it was against some type of policy. She is furious because she went over it with a fine tooth comb and can't find what policy she broke. But she also left a poor review for some kind of thing of ring that sticks on the back of a cell phone - I think it's to hold it to take selfies or something of the sort. She said she was afraid to hold the phone with it because it kept coming off.

She had the same thing happen - they emailed her and said they were using a new adhesive and could they send her new ones to see if they worked better. She is waiting to receive them to see if they work any better.

AAGK likes this.
  4. AAGK

I so agree with this. I left the contact number, in another thread for, who to call at TripAdvisor when it doesn't post your bad review. I posted my first bad one ever and it never appeared until I spoke with moderation directly.

Reviews are important and I rely on them. In my case, after the review, the hotel charged my credit card double the quoted rate as revenge but I know I will win the dispute- after 5 more months of exhausting communication.... I tried to revise my review to include this fact but I wasn't allowed.

VoR61 and Neil like this.
  5. divinemsmstl

I buy quite a bit of merchandise from Amazon (yes, I have Prime) and will probably be buying in even more categories, now that the county in which I reside has chosen to jack up local sales taxes even more. (Amazon is now charging sales tax in MO, but only the basic state rate of about 4%. If I buy locally, I'm paying anywhere from 8 - 10+% tax, depending on municipality.)

I nearly always leave a review of my purchases, and usually read the reviews on an intended purchase before I pull the trigger. I've very rarely had a problem with anything I've purchased on Amazon ... until recently, when I bought a pair of pink flamingos, intending to put one in each of 2 community garden plots we have nearby. (Some people put gnomes in their gardens; we like flamingos!) They were supposed to include wire legs to stand up the birds. I had seen some reviews saying their birds had arrived minus the legs. When they complained and asked to return the flamingos for a complete set, Amazon told them to keep the birds and were sent a new, correct set. I took a chance and thought I'd get lucky ... I didn't.

I left a review in 2 different places on Amazon's site mentioning the lack of legs. I also went to Amazon's live chat site and spoke to a CS rep about this, and again referred to the reviewers who were sent new flamingos. I was told to send them back and re-order. I declined: 1) the flamingos were less than $9, and I'd spend probably $6 to return them; 2) if these were defective, what guarantee did I have that the re-order would be correct? Zip. Finally the CS rep agreed to credit the order amount to an Amazon gift card ... which I used a day later to order hubby a battery-operated cultivation tool for all 3 of our gardens. So I kept the legless flamingos, and we used wire coat hangers to rig up legs for them!

jsn55 and VoR61 like this.
  6. Michael Anthony

I'd be careful with bad reviews, in particular if you tend to write them when you're angry. And of course, leave out personal attacks. Last week a Massachusetts court awarded a business $35000 over an online review that in looking at it was clearly defamatory. It's a fine line sometimes and it's best to just stick to facts.

jsn55 likes this.
  7. divinemsmstl

I don't know if you were referring to me specifically, but I didn't -- and don't -- write any reviews in anger. I was merely pointing out what many other people before me had experienced -- I was shipped a defective product, and for what I paid ($8.90, to be exact) I wasn't inclined to go to the trouble of returning it.

In my Amazon review, I pointed out that the problem lies with 1) the packaging (the body and the legs of the flamingos are packaged separately); 2) given the preceding, they have to be "picked" in the warehouse from separate bins then packed together prior to shipping to the customer ... and obviously that's not happening in most cases. I wasn't angry; I simply pointed out a flaw in Amazon's shipping procedure.

Personally, I think Amazon should have a VIP or concierge customer service for those of us who pay $99/year for Prime. When I used the online chat feature to discuss my issue, it was obvious from the English syntax in her first response that the CS rep was offshore and did not understand the language very well. I try to be patient in these situations but it's not always easy.

8. Michael Anthony

HI! Oh no, I wasn't referring to you, or anyone on this thread. Just wanted to ppint it out.

9. Mike Z

Staff Member Advocate

I have not. I just got the replacement product yesterday and thought I should at least use it for a few days before changing my review. they did contact me via email yesterday to make sure I got the replacement product so to me at least their CS is pretty good.

VoR61 and kenish like this.
  10. joycexyz

If the merchandise is defective (and I would call legless flamingos defective) the return is free. And you can opt for a refund. This is easily accomplished online.

mmb and VoR61 like this.
  11. Kahhss

Yeah, but it wasn't even a review. It was an outright lie as it was written by a competitor whose reported transaction never occurred in order to make his father's pawn shop look better. Statements of false facts are actionable.

You can be emotional so long as facts aren't made up. Statements of opinion and emotion are rarely legitimately actionable and anti-SLAPP laws make it easier to recover legal fees if someone does try to sue on a statement that isn't actionable. This is a good time to give a shout out to Ken White's Popehat.com site since he covers 1st Amendment issues repeatedly on his very entertaining blog.

Going back to Amazon, I rarely leave a review because I've had overwhelmingly positive experiences there. On the few things that didn't work, I've had no problem returning the items (for instance, like the futon cover that didn't fit last week).

joycexyz and VoR61 like this.
  12. divinemsmstl

I wasn't offered the option of a free return when I was online chatting with the Amazon CS person. After I mentioned the strong possibility of getting another defective set, that's when she offered me the purchase credit applied to an Amazon gift card. I accepted that offer, and used the gift card toward another purchase the next day.

(We tried using wire coat hangers as legs, but they were wobbly. Hubby later had the bright idea of using tripod-type tomato cages as bases for the birds: Turn them upside down, stick the three ends into the holes in the flamingos, and presto! Double-duty tomato cages.)

13. VoR61

Advocate

Another option which has worked well for us is to leave a message for the seller (if not Amazon). They have often responded to our issues outside of the Amazon return policy and to our satisfaction.

Mike Z likes this.
  14. jsn55

Staff Member Advocate

Stick with the tried and true maxim: flail away and get it all out of your system, then DON'T SEND IT. This holds true for most things involving anger and feeling cheated. You can write a far more effective review/letter a couple of days later.

George M and VoR61 like this.
  15. Neil

Neil Moderator
    Staff Member Advocate

But positive experiences are just as important as negative. Posting good reviews offsets one bad one that might not truly be representative of a product.

When I deal with something that has been pleasant I always try to send a note or acknowledge it. Too often there are only complaints and these businesses (and customer service folks) are appreciative of positive experiences.

One of the first thing they teach you about customer service is that people who are happy with a trip or a product will tell one or two people about it but people with complaints will tell and average of 10.

Patina, jsn55 and VoR61 like this.
  16. ADM

ADM

Isn't that the truth. I have also tried to make it a point to acknowledge good service as well. I used the company contacts on this site to contact the VP of Customer Service at T-Mobile. I wanted to let her know how pleased I was with the service I get from my business account rep. I know in my line of work my staff and I always appreciate a kind word. Anyone who deals with the public can especially appreciate it.

Neil and VoR61 like this.
  17. jsn55

Staff Member Advocate

How I wish that every company would post a link to their CS department so customers can immediately post something positive. The negative stuff gets plenty of attention, but if several days go by after a positive experience, or if I attempt to tell the company and can't find a way to send an email or post, I tend to forget about it. This would be an wonderful way for companies to honor their employees, and it wouldn't cost them more than having someone assigned to read the comments.

Neil likes this.
  18. Mike Z

Staff Member Advocate

Exactly. I'm amazed at the number of 1 star reviews I see on amazon from people who bought the wrong product or assumed it came with something extra that was not in the description nor shown in the photos. I always take a moment to click that it was not helpful. When a bunch of people do that, the review gets hidden or moved way down the list. Sometime I reply and ask, "so you gave it a one star because you ordered the wrong item?"

Neil, jsn55 and VoR61 like this.
  19. Neil

Neil Moderator
    Staff Member Advocate

Same thing with people that sat at a bar in a hotel and had a bad experience and rate the entire hotel with 1 star.

VoR61 likes this.
  20. joycexyz

Unfortunately, the CS person was wrong or misunderstood. The easy way to rectify a problem with an order is to find it under "Orders" and select "Return or replace items." You select a reason (in your case, the item was defective), what you want Amazon to do about it (you'd like a refund), and then print the return label. The return is free (for a defective item or the wrong item), and as soon as the package is scanned at the post office, Amazon credits you. Best return policy I've ever encountered.
    Anyhow, I'm glad your husband is clever enough to find a solution to the legless flamingos. Enjoy!

mmb and VoR61 like this.