Suspect Alamo Damage Claim and Questionable Practices

• Hi Guest, welcome to the help forum. You can get fast answers to your customer service questions here. We have a dedicated team of advocates who are ready to help. Just go to the section that matches your question and ask us!
  • If you've posted a question or issue for our advocates to assist with, please be sure to check back frequently for responses and requests for clarification.
  • Did you know you can get email notifications when something new posts to your favorite forum? It's easy. Just click the "watch" link right next to the "post new thread" button at the top of your favorite forum. The rest is easy. Now you'll never miss another conversation.
  • Want to become an expert user? Drop by the How to use this forum section and all will be revealed. We'll show you how to make the most of your experience.
Feb 13, 2018
Hello,
I rented a car in Colorado Springs from Alamo. The day after I returned the car I was contacted by the company and they asked about 3 dents in the roof of the car, if I noticed them, or if I knew how they got there. I told them that I didn't. They sent me a claim, which I refuted. They said that their investigators determined that I am at fault for the damages and that I must pay $1266.78 in total damages (parts + labor + loss of revenue + diminished car value + admin fee). I told them that I am looking at multiple courses of action to resolve the issue and in their most recent correspondence they declared that I pay the full amount within 30 days, or they will take the claim to a collection agency and they'll revoke any future rental privileges.
I still hold that I did not damage the car, although, I didn't look at the roof of the car when I did my walk around upon pickup. A gentleman from Alamo at the airport named Kevin accepted the car when I returned it without concern. My insurance company will only cover the actual damage claimed ($998.00 - $500 deductible) and doesn't cover the rest ($268.78). I'd prefer to appeal this decision to a higher authority within the company or even go to small claims court and move to have the damage claim dropped, but I don't know where to turn or who to contact.
Any help you can provide is much appreciated.
Thank you,
Lloyd

Jan 6, 2015
You are at a disadvantage in that you cannot prove that the roof was damaged when you picked it up. If the vehicle was a van or an SUV with a roof high enough that you would have to step up to view it, that could be a reasonable counter argument (i.e., "who thinks of that" or "is that reasonable"). Otherwise, you have to weigh the risk of collections and/or revocation of future rental privileges, which could rise all the way up to Enterprise Rental company and perhaps even its subsidiaries, vs. paying the extra $269 dollars.

You can certainly follow the second link that Lizzie1492 posted and appeal.to them. If you do, I suggest you ask that they work with the local agency to hold off any action until your appeal is completed.