• Hi Guest, welcome to the help forum. You can get fast answers to your customer service questions here. We have a dedicated team of advocates who are ready to help. Just go to the section that matches your question and ask us!
  • If you've posted a question or issue for our advocates to assist with, please be sure to check back frequently for responses and requests for clarification.
  • Did you know you can get email notifications when something new posts to your favorite forum? It's easy. Just click the "watch" link right next to the "post new thread" button at the top of your favorite forum. The rest is easy. Now you'll never miss another conversation.
  • Want to become an expert user? Drop by the How to use this forum section and all will be revealed. We'll show you how to make the most of your experience.

SuperShuttle Left Me Stranded on Christmas (While Pregnant)

Jan 24, 2020
Hoping for some help!

I booked a ShuperShuttle on 12.15.19 (confirmation no: 3xxxxxx) to pick me up on the morning of the 26th (at 12:08 am) from Newark Airport and take me to the Upper East Side of Manhattan. At the time I was nearly 6 months pregnant. I booked a ShuperShuttle (instead of taking New Jersey Transit) because I needed to be at work on 12/26 at 9am.

I arrived at Newark, I checked in on the mobile application, but was not assigned a driver. I called several times. One time I was routed to a voicemail, one time I was told I should cancel my ride and take a taxi, and one time I spoke to someone who told me that there were no drivers to pick me up and that they would refund me. If I wanted one of their drivers to pick me up, I needed to wait until 4am. I received a text that they were cancelling my ride and would be refunding it. I had to take a Lyft because I had to be at work early the next morning. I called one last time and was told to file a claim with Super Shuttle and that they would reimburse me for my Lyft. I took a Lyft and filed a claim the next day. I have followed up multiple times and haven't been reimbursed for my Lyft and have not received a refund for my cancelled ride.

I am looking to be refunded $90 - $65.35 for the Lyft and $24.43 for the cancelled SuperShuttle.

Note: Edited by a moderator to remove confirmation number

Last edited by a moderator:
Jan 30, 2018
Super Shuttle closed down as of the end of the year and it was announced in advance. Perhaps some of their drivers found other jobs while they were still operating, thus no drivers available on the 26th. I am afraid it will be difficult to get your (well deserved) refund. Keep on trying, I guess.

Reactions: jsn55
Jan 24, 2020
While they are no longer servicing Newark, they are still accepting reservations for airport transport. They are still an active company (despite the announcement) and thus are legally still on the hook.

Jun 24, 2019
To the extent Super Shuttle is still operating, you may find that their service is regulated. If they are still doing business at Newark, the licensing authority may be the Port Authority. There may also be New Jersey state licensing. A complaint to the licensing authorities may get some action, again, to the extent Super Shuttle wishes to stay in business.

Super Shuttle has closed down here in Los Angeles at LAX. We stopped using them long ago because of the lack of reliability you noted.

Reactions: Warren and jsn55
Jul 13, 2016
I stopped using SuperShuttle years ago. One instance, the driver drove a full van south to one town, and then intended to turn back north to drop off another passenger, before heading south again. Miles out of our way in rush hour. Absolutely no common sense. The remaining passengers revolted and we took his clipboard and told him the logical order for the drop offs. More serious was the impaired driver that drove like a madman. I actually called the police to report a possible DUI and gave them his license number and location.

Nov 22, 2019
Ask them to reimubrse you only the difference between the Lyft and Shuttle, it is, I think, a common practice, as well as a refund for the Shuttle.
FYI, it did happened to me one day, and I got reimbursed only after filing a claim to the BBB.

Sep 19, 2015
While they are no longer servicing Newark, they are still accepting reservations for airport transport. They are still an active company (despite the announcement) and thus are legally still on the hook.
They stopped accepting reservations for EWR and JFK in January. One can go through the website and request but there are no rides available.

I had used them for EWR because of the high tolls and surge pricing.

If the OP paid by credit card the charge should be challenged.

I am not sure how likely it will be that the company pays the difference between the rides.

Neil Maley

Staff Member
Advocate
Dec 27, 2014
New York
www.promalvacations.com
Ask them to reimubrse you only the difference between the Lyft and Shuttle, it is, I think, a common practice, as well as a refund for the Shuttle.
FYI, it did happened to me one day, and I got reimbursed only after filing a claim to the BBB.
Super Shuttle has closed down nationwide. I don’t see them reimbursing anyone. Filing a BBB complain on a closed company now wouldn’t do anything . I would bet that when they sent the letter to employees that they were closing, employees ran to find other jobs and they didn’t have drivers to service.

If you were charged for the Super Shuttle, contact your credit cards company ASAP and file a dispute.

No one answers the phone at Super Shuttle, I’m sure no one is monitoring emails .

Jan 24, 2020
Super Shuttle has closed down nationwide. I don’t see them reimbursing anyone. Filing a BBB complain on a closed company now wouldn’t do anything . I would bet that when they sent the letter to employees that they were closing, employees ran to find other jobs and they didn’t have drivers to service.

If you were charged for the Super Shuttle, contact your credit cards company ASAP and file a dispute.

No one answers the phone at Super Shuttle, I’m sure no one is monitoring emails .
That isn't true. I spoke to someone this afternoon.

Jan 24, 2020
When I called, I got an automated menu that would allow me to book a ride. I pressed the number to book over the phone. I was connected with a woman who seemed sympathetic and told me that (1) the previous person I'd been told to email was no longer there; and (2) that i should send an email to customercare@supershuttle.com. She then transferred me to a line where I was kept on hold for a long time before giving up. I can do a chargeback for the ride that they cancelled, but I'm frustrated that they accepted a booking that they could not accommodate causing me to spend significantly more than I'd planned.

Jun 24, 2019
When I called, I got an automated menu that would allow me to book a ride. I pressed the number to book over the phone. I was connected with a woman who seemed sympathetic and told me that (1) the previous person I'd been told to email was no longer there; and (2) that i should send an email to customercare@supershuttle.com. She then transferred me to a line where I was kept on hold for a long time before giving up. I can do a chargeback for the ride that they cancelled, but I'm frustrated that they accepted a booking that they could not accommodate causing me to spend significantly more than I'd planned.
I'm sympathetic with your frustration. Been there, done that, with Super Shuttle. Do a charge back with your credit card company. It appears you are within the time limits and you did not get the services you were billed for.

After that, decide whether it's worth more frustration dealing with an out-of-business company which seems little motivated to treat you right. The facts you gave us are: "I am looking to be refunded $90 - $65.35 for the Lyft and $24.43 for the cancelled SuperShuttle." Your credit card will likely give you back $24.43. (While you must write to them to protect your rights, you might want to call first. The credit card company may reverse the charge based on a phone call because the amount you seek is under $25. If they do so, make sure you check on-line that the credit posted; if there is any uncertainty, write. You have 60 days from the billing statement on which the $24.43 appeared. The address to write to is on your statement in the "in case of billing errors section.") After you are done with the credit card, you are fighting about an additional $41. Decide whether the additional effort you must expend, and the dim prospects, justify spending time on this task.

Best wishes for the new baby.

Neil Maley

Staff Member
Advocate
Dec 27, 2014
New York
www.promalvacations.com
I think the fact they still have a phone that is making it appear that you can still make reservations for a non operating company is horrendous. I’d be contacting my states Attorney General and complaining about that.

Please contact your credit card company immediately and file a dispute for what you were charged. You only have a certain amount of time to do it.

And I agree with SoCal- you can write to that email address but I’d just chalk up the Lyft ride and if you ever hear from them and they pay you anything, think of it as a bonus. They told you that you were being reimbursed to get you off the phone.

Sep 19, 2015
Super Shuttle is winding down as a business. Although the website and phone tree may make it sound as if a reservation could be made in reality there are no reservations being accepted.

And as for reservations not being honored -- well I have numerous ride shares cancelled -- yes the big one with the massive investment banking backers -- the rides were accepted and I could track the driver and then all of a sudden -- poof -- ride was gone while I am standing on the street.

Part of the problem is the new "business" model; no employees all independent contractors, also known as the gig economy. The drivers either over schedule or dump less profitable rides.

In some ways I cannot blame the drivers -- they get zero benefits and are just trying to make a living -- but then I have been cursing them when I am standing and waiting for the ride,

Last edited:
May 30, 2019
The shutdown was not like a Chapter 7 BK, so there is still a shell of the company intact.

A story about SuperShuttle shutting down as of 12/31/19: https://www.cnn.com/2019/12/13/business/supershuttle-shutting-down/index.html
Here's another, that mentions that in some places, they closed prior to 12/31/19: https://kywnewsradio.radio.com/articles/news/supershuttle-to-shut-down-by-end-of-year

+1 on the recommendation to file a credit card dispute for the SuperShuttle booking, if paid in advance. Noting that, do not dispute the Lyft charge because it was a legitimate charge from Lyft.

This thread is focused on advocating for a refund, but I will offer the OP to message me if she is interested in alternatives to get to / from EWR in the future.

Reactions: Warren and VoR61
Dec 19, 2014
I get the OPs frustrations and determination in trying to pursue reimbursement that was promised. However, given the state of Super Shuttle, I highly doubt that the OP will ever see the $65.35 for the Lyft fee.

The $24.43 will be reimbursed by the credit card company if it is disputed.

I get that we are here to advocate for the customer, but you can't squeeze blood out of a turnip. Just the effort needed for even the potential (and I say potential, because who are you going to pursue this with?) to be reimbursed $65.35 means I would recommend to let it go. That's the best advice I have. Sorry, I can't come up with something more helpful.

May 28, 2019
Even while they were in operation, I’ve had them strand me at EWR under very similar circumstances. I arrived around 12:15am (after trains into Manhattan stopped running) and had a reservation but was told that reservation was only a promise to get me when they could, which was dependent upon when their drivers could get to the airport.

I ultimately took an Uber to Hamilton Heo

May 28, 2019
Even while they were in operation, I’ve had them strand me at EWR under very similar circumstances. I arrived around 12:15am (after trains into Manhattan stopped running) and had a reservation but was told that reservation was only a promise to get me when they could, which was dependent upon when their drivers could get to the airport.

I ultimately took an Uber to Hamilton Heo
I don’t know why my comment was cut off! I took an Uber to Hamilton Heights at 3am and they regundd