1. Hi Guest, welcome to the help forum. You can get fast answers to your customer service questions here. We have a dedicated team of advocates who are ready to help. Just go to the section that matches your question and ask us!
    Dismiss Notice
  2. If you've posted a question or issue for our advocates to assist with, please be sure to check back frequently for responses and requests for clarification.
    Dismiss Notice
  3. Did you know you can get email notifications when something new posts to your favorite forum? It's easy. Just click the "watch" link right next to the "post new thread" button at the top of your favorite forum. The rest is easy. Now you'll never miss another conversation.
    Dismiss Notice
  4. Want to become an expert user? Drop by the How to use this forum section and all will be revealed. We'll show you how to make the most of your experience.
    Dismiss Notice

Stranded insurance company won't help

Discussion in 'Insurance' started by Soulrebel23, Feb 16, 2017.

1. Soulrebel23

hello,

I purchased HTHworldwide TripProtector Classic. I traveled to oman to join an all inclusive tour. The tour company cancelled the day the tour was to begin and I think they are a scam as they kept everyones money but that story is for another day. I'm stuck from February 15-19 as the international tickets are expensive to change.

I have called HTH and the other #s they gave me 8 times and these are long calls. It's an endless loop of a customer service agent saying to call another number that redirects me back to HTH. Claims goes straight to voicemail. They only answer betwee 8-5 EST and I'm 9 hours ahead.No one will tell me what is covered. I'm alone, oman is expensive, I've rented a car and gotten a hotel. I need help now. Are these expenses covered? Or would expensive costs to change flight to come home covered?

My situation stinks already and I'm very disappointed by an unresponsive insurance company who has a good reputation.

What do I do to get them to answer? Thanks

mmb likes this.
  2. JVillegirl541

Staff Member Advocate

They seem to have excellent reviews. Who did you purchase your policy thru? Does your insurance confirmation have an Emergency Contact number?

3. cp556

cp556 Moderator
    Staff Member Advocate

Agree that your insurance policy page should have an emergency contact number, and I hope it does.

Please be certain to save receipts for Every.Single.Thing ... hotel, car, any meals, etc. They may not all be refundable but it's best to have the receipts just in case. Also keep a journal of who you are contacting (their names, too) and what you're being told.

I found this online ... it may serve as a guideline for you:
    https://www.hthtravelinsurance.com/1_benefits_protector.cfm

These are numbers for HTH:
    888.243.2358 (Toll-Free)
    610.254.8769 (Local)

jsn55 likes this.
  4. Soulrebel23

I purchase the policy directly from HTH website. Their 24 hour emergency number is for medical emergencies only which is not the kind of help I need. HTH has trip delay, trip interruption, and trip cancellation through Insuremytrip-when I called them more than once they say they are sorry for my situation but do not know what is covered and redirect me to call HTH customer service who says they don't know either. I need a response from them today but of course I won't be able to call for 9.5 hours and I do not have a hotel for tonight.

5. JVillegirl541

Staff Member Advocate

InsureMyTrip is your agent and they need to assist you. Call their hotline back and push the issue.

This is what I found for HTH. But yes your agent should be assisting and InsureMyTrip has a good reputation but that won't last long if they refuse to assist you.

You are going to need to get a hotel and keep track of your expenses.

https://www.hthtravelinsurance.com/8_travelprotector/hotline_details.cfm

Last edited: Feb 16, 2017
    jsn55 and John Galbraith like this.
  6. John Galbraith

Staff Member Advocate

Hi soul - really sorry to hear that. As CO says get receipts for everything. I think you will have to wait until then open. For tonight I saw from your first post that you had rented a car and got a hotel but then your last post says you do not have a hotel for tonight, Are they all fully booked. Within reason grab what you can so you have somewhere to sleep until you contact your insurance company.

7. John Galbraith

Staff Member Advocate

This should be the emergency help details = it does not say just for medial issues so be polite but firm that they need to help you.

How to Call the 24-Hour Emergency Hotline
    If you need emergency help for an available service you can call 24-hours a day (866) 816-2068 from within the United States, or call (collect) (603) 328-1737 from anywhere else. You should have your certificate or policy number, your location, a local telephone number, and details of the situation. The assistance provider will confirm your enrollment and assist you. If you cannot call collect from your location, dial direct and give the assistance coordinator your telephone number and location and they will call you back.

jsn55 likes this.
  8. Soulrebel23

Yes, the hotel I'm at is full tonight.

9. JVillegirl541

Staff Member Advocate

So you have a room???

10. sas80

Staff Member Advocate

Deep breath, don't panic. I would imagine this is stressful - expecting to be on a tour and now having to deal with arranging accommodations you were not prepared for. My colleagues have given you excellent advice. The only other thing I would throw in is 'mitigate' your damage. Be reasonable with your expenditures and necessitates.

All too often we have people come here and complain because they decided to indulge, thinking the airline or insurance company was obligated to pick up the tab, and become angry when their full expenses were not covered.

Please check in and give us an update and we will continue to attempt to assist.

John Galbraith and jsn55 like this.
  11. Neil

Neil Moderator
    Staff Member Advocate

In all cases, you usually have to make your own alternate reservations and then be reimbursed by the insurance company so get yourself a room (and don't go 5 stars because they have limits on how much the reimburse) and call them when they are open. And save every receipt!

You are going to have a lot of work when you get home trying to get a refund from your tour company. Come back and visit us if you have trouble getting that refund.

jsn55 likes this.
  12. Soulrebel23

Thank you all. I called three times more and the third agent said it was possible some costs might be covered. I have the cheapest rental car available at $35/day. Hotel was cheap for here but uncomfortable so I called Hilton as they have a hotel here and since I stay with them so often for work they made it possible for two nights on points so no cost for that and I bought food at a grocery store. I lost so much on the tour and not sure if insurance will cover anything so I'm being very conservative with money.

Salalah is beautiful and I met many local families today at the beach with invitations for dinner in their homes so the situation has improved immensely and I will enjoy my time here.

13. Neil

Neil Moderator
    Staff Member Advocate

Can you call your credit card company while you are there to try to do a dispute for the tour amount? I not sure that travel insurance would cover this situation.

What is the name of the tour company? Maybe we can help you while you are there.

jsn55, TropicalRichmond and sas80 like this.
  14. jsn55

Staff Member Advocate

I'm so sorry this happened, soulrebel, but you have a most excellent attitude, so I know you'll come through this little mess just fine. I am not understanding why your travel insurance is not stepping right up here. Do you have a copy of the policy with you on your computer? Everything should be laid out there. If you don't have all the details, make every attempt to get them online before you talk with them. You should not have to pay for long distance calls, you should be able to call them collect.

Their emergency number is responsible for helping you, they are the experts, you paid a premium to be covered and to be advised. They cannot pretend that they don't know what you want. Good luck and please keep us posted.

John Galbraith likes this.
  15. Soulrebel23

Hello,

I disputed the tour company charge on my credit card company. I have a strong case and the other customers in the group are an interesting mix of people who have traveled to every country or make their living from travel blogs and they have offered to help too. Insurance does not cover money you paid for a cancelled tour only if operator is bankrupt and I suspect this tour company will be after this train wreck.

HTHworldwide is probably great for medical emergencies but perhaps should not offer a comprehensive plan until they develop a better working relationship with Insuremytrip. I intend to reach out to management of both as it should be an easy fix. Also-collect calls are not so easy to make these days as the hotel charges a fee even for that so I figure better to use my phone but the many calls and long hold times are the result of the first sentence in this paragraph.

16. Neil

Neil Moderator
    Staff Member Advocate

There are many different policies - when you book your own insurance it's the same as booking your trip- you are making a decision on your own. So you really have to compare coverages when buying a policy.