Spirit Changes "Free Spirit Miles" When Booking to 25,000 (PREMIUM)

• Hi Guest, welcome to the help forum. You can get fast answers to your customer service questions here. We have a dedicated team of advocates who are ready to help. Just go to the section that matches your question and ask us!
  • If you've posted a question or issue for our advocates to assist with, please be sure to check back frequently for responses and requests for clarification.
  • Did you know you can get email notifications when something new posts to your favorite forum? It's easy. Just click the "watch" link right next to the "post new thread" button at the top of your favorite forum. The rest is easy. Now you'll never miss another conversation.
  • Want to become an expert user? Drop by the How to use this forum section and all will be revealed. We'll show you how to make the most of your experience.
Feb 21, 2017
Spirit has a calendar with Free Spirit Miles when booking a flight. For Spirit Mastercard holders, they have travel dates and award periods classified as "off peak," "peak," "standard." Spirit has on numerous times, when I've tried to book flying and using my Free Spirit Miles, they change my miles to 25,000 - Premium miles.

For instance, I looked into flying March 1, 2017 from Latrobe, PA to Ft. Lauderdale, FL, returning March 8, 2017. On the calendar (I am in Region 1) that is supposed to be considered "peak" which would be 15,000 peak miles needed. As you can see in the attachment, they change the miles needed to 25,000 + 43.10.

Are they allowed to do this? Often times, it is cheaper to buy without using Free Spirit Miles. I wrote a letter last year when they did this but got no response.

Your thoughts!

Attachments

JVillegirl541

Verified Member
Nov 21, 2014
If it works like other Fare classes it just means that the 15,000 mile seats are gone and the more expensive ones are still available. And yes unfortunately it's their Mileage program and they make the rules. Those rules rarely if ever (aka Never) benefit their customers.

Frustrating:(

jsn55

Verified Member
Dec 26, 2014
San Francisco
JV is so right, Barbara. It's all laid out in the terms of their loyalty program ... not the pretty headlines about all the things they'll do for you, but the fine print which essentially says they'll do whatever they want with your loyalty.

However, seat availability changes daily. You can, like I often do with United, just check every week until something comes available, then grab it.