1. Hi Guest, welcome to the help forum. You can get fast answers to your customer service questions here. We have a dedicated team of advocates who are ready to help. Just go to the section that matches your question and ask us!
    Dismiss Notice
  2. If you've posted a question or issue for our advocates to assist with, please be sure to check back frequently for responses and requests for clarification.
    Dismiss Notice
  3. Did you know you can get email notifications when something new posts to your favorite forum? It's easy. Just click the "watch" link right next to the "post new thread" button at the top of your favorite forum. The rest is easy. Now you'll never miss another conversation.
    Dismiss Notice
  4. Want to become an expert user? Drop by the How to use this forum section and all will be revealed. We'll show you how to make the most of your experience.
    Dismiss Notice

SpareFare: has anyone used it/is it a scam?

Discussion in 'Airlines' started by DPB, Dec 5, 2017.

1. DPB

DPB

We have a trip on Condor to Europe and on Norwegian back. No insurance - I know, I know. In searching re-selling options (the flight is relatively soon and I'm not sure emailing the airlines will result in satisfaction in time), I came across SpareFare. It looks like almost an EBay for tickets on airlines for which name and itinerary changes are allowed such as Norwegian and Condor.

Does anyone have any feedback on SpareFare? I am finding virtually no reviews, which may be a function of it being new, or perhaps it is too scammy to trust? Any info much appreciated.

2. Neil

Neil Moderator
    Staff Member Advocate

If it seems too good to be true it usually is.
    We have so many users with complaints about the three major OTAs, why would you go to an unknown?

Are you saying you are not taking your trip and want to resell your tickets? This is a bad idea- call and ask the airline for a credit for a future flight. Did you buy your tickets directly from each airline or from an OTA? If an OTA you can forget about this because they have to handle any changes.

This is a bad idea idea from what I can tell. Most airlines don’t allow name changes regardless of what this website claims.

And I don’t see any guarantees this site backs any transactions up. It is too scammy looking in my eyes.

In order to resell your plane ticket, your airline should allow name changes - this is how you can resell your flight and get a partial or full refund. Most low-cost and some standard airlines allow name changes for a fee. For detailed information about airline ticket transfer fees for over 40 airlines, please visit our Airline Name Change Fees page. If your airline is not in our list, this means that it does not allow name changes. We advise you to check with your flight operator if your airline is not in our list, to confirm that our information is up to date, as it could change overnight.

If you find that your airline does not officially allow name changes, it is still worth calling customer service to see if they would make an exception for you.

And don’t count on Norwegian actually allowing name changes- we have someone else having problems with now.

3. Just A Guy

It does sound like that's what he wants to do.

Looking at Norwegian's website, it does say they allow name changes, even on their most restrictive tickets, for a fee (GBP 90/segment). The bulk of the airlines they list are int'l budget carriers, FWIW.

https://www.norwegian.com/uk/booking/booking-information/fare-rules/international-long-haul-lowfare/

upload_2017-12-5_18-6-52.png

Neil likes this.
  4. jsn55

Staff Member Advocate

I can't figure out what you want to do ... but my usual advice about 'faceless internet entities' no doubt applies. Don't get involved with these people! Anyone can create a slick website ... with nothing behind it.

Neil likes this.
  5. Neil

Neil Moderator
    Staff Member Advocate

I actually studied this company a little. They don’t release the money to the person selling the tickets until the tickets have had the name change done and delivered. And seller is responsible for doing all the work and paying the fees.

It seems like a lot of work for the seller and there are not very many flights available. These guys don’t charge fees either so I can’t figure out how they are sustaining this.

Just A Guy likes this.
  6. DPB

DPB

My apologies - I meant to add that the family member cannot travel due to medical reasons.

Many thanks for all the feedback. For what it's worth, it seems like some of the European-based carriers (including Condor and Norwegian) have a slightly more lenient policy on changes for itinerary, dates, and name changes, albeit with a fee. And both have responded with their change policy. But I will keep an eye on Norwegian based on Neil's comments.

But I now agree with the posters - especially with the most recent comment regarding SpareFare holding the buyer's money until seller completes the name change with the airline. Weird, to say the least. Looks like we will try to find a friend/family member interested in flying on these airlines sometime in the next year and pay the fees.

Thanks, and I'll keep my eye out for any other comments. Great website!

jsn55 likes this.
  7. Neil

Neil Moderator
    Staff Member Advocate

You might be able to cancel and get a credit for the flights less a cancellation fee. In the future - buy travel insurance - this would most likely not be an issue if you had bought it. Many people don't think things like this are ever going to happen.