1. Hi Guest, welcome to the help forum. You can get fast answers to your customer service questions here. We have a dedicated team of advocates who are ready to help. Just go to the section that matches your question and ask us!
    Dismiss Notice
  2. If you've posted a question or issue for our advocates to assist with, please be sure to check back frequently for responses and requests for clarification.
    Dismiss Notice
  3. Did you know you can get email notifications when something new posts to your favorite forum? It's easy. Just click the "watch" link right next to the "post new thread" button at the top of your favorite forum. The rest is easy. Now you'll never miss another conversation.
    Dismiss Notice
  4. Want to become an expert user? Drop by the How to use this forum section and all will be revealed. We'll show you how to make the most of your experience.
    Dismiss Notice

Sixt rental car and damage claim

Discussion in 'Car rentals' started by Clint Pressley, Mar 17, 2017 at 2:08 PM.

1. Clint Pressley

I'm glad I found this. I have been dealing with this exact same issue from the exact same location.

We rented a van for a family Disney vacation and returned it undamaged on 6-24-16. Upon return, a Sixt employee inspected the vehicle thoroughly, and said, in effect, that the car was OK, and we were good to go. There are four adult witnesses in our party who will attest to that. In addition, Sixt emailed us a return receipt on 6-26-16, with no mention of any damage.

18 days after the return on 7-12-16, we recieved an email from Sixt accusing us of damaging the vehicle. I refuted their claim, and asked for photos. They sent blurry photos taken in the dark, of which the date taken properties had been removed from the photo files.

157 days after the return on 11-29-16, we received an email from Alternative Claims Management asking for $1680.99 for damages. I again refuted their claim that any damage to the vehicle occurred while it was in our care. I received another email on 3-15-17 asking for $1207.68. It included some new photos taken in the daylight, which looked like someone had taken a baseball bat to the vehicle. It was obvious damage to the hood, which would have immediately been noticed upon the vehicle's return.

2. JVillegirl541

Staff Member Advocate

Oh my these guys are crooks! Did you take before & after pictures?? Check the credit card you rented with to see if it has rental coverage and get them to blow these guys off!

"Blurry pictures taken in the dark" unbelievable!

3. Patina

Patina Moderator
    Staff Member Advocate

@Clint Pressley Sorry to hear about your troubles with the rental agency. Please use the advice on this thread (http://forum.elliott.org/threads/how-to-deal-with-a-car-rental-damage-claim.1514/) to dispute the claim, following the instructions to a T. The process will most likely be drawn out but there have been others who have had much success using this method. Keep everything in writing, avoiding any phone conversations. If you must deal with anyone via phone, send them an email immediately following the conversation outlining what was discussed. Please let us know your progress, good luck!

JVillegirl541 likes this.
  4. AAGK

It makes little to no difference to creditors if your file contains a notation that you dispute the item. It still looks bad. Fortunately, on July 1st, the credit bureaus will no longer report civil judgments or tax liens on credit reports, except under certain circumstances, so it may not matter anyway.

Maybe Chris could take this case, I'm sorry if this was discussed above.

http://elliott.org/blog/no-damage-to-rental-car-but-they-called-a-collection-agency-anyway/

Last edited: Mar 17, 2017 at 2:59 PM
  5. Neil

Neil Moderator
    Staff Member Advocate

This is why you need to take pictures when you pick up a rental vehicle and again when you drop it off.

6. Clint Pressley

Yep. My dad was with us on this trip, and has rented hundreds of cars in the last 50 years (was a salesman), and never had to worry about stuff like this. It's a new world.

7. Neil

Neil Moderator
    Staff Member Advocate

It is a new world and even I didn't realize how you have to protect yourself when renting a car until I started advocating here.

And SIXT is getting to be the number one company we have complaints about this blatant rip off.

8. sas80

Staff Member Advocate

@Clint I just asked the mods to make you your own thread. In the meantime, google "latches" in terms of the law. Latches basically says that they have to bring timely attention to the issue, otherwise proof degrades. In this case, if they had gotten in touch with you in a timely manner, you could have asked for the video tapes from the day you picked up and dropped the vehicle off.

Follow the advice listed in the forum that you have been pointed to. Ask for all the pieces of information citing the fact that you didnt cause the damage but want to help them get to the bottom of it. Invite them to sue you. if they sue you they HAVE to prove it, and they cant.

Big inhale, big exhale, it's probably going to be okay.

9. AAGK

The word you mean is laches.

Last edited: Mar 18, 2017 at 12:28 AM
    Neil, mmb and JVillegirl541 like this.
  10. Clint Pressley

I don't have a response from Alternative Claims Management, but I did get a response from my BBB complaint...

I have reviewed the damage claim along with the customers concern. Upon looking through the file, I see the damage was documented at the time of return. The photos provided show the vehicle had not been moved by any Sixt employee prior to the damage being documented. Please see attached photos. I am also providing the rental agreement which shows no prior damage was ever documented on this vehicle. Based on this information, Sixt is continuing to hold the renter responsible for this damage claim. Should the renter be able to provide information showing this damage was either pre-existing or occurred after their rental period, we would re-evaluate the claim

No names attached. I responded with a similar email to the one I sent ACM last week, requesting all the documentation you all have suggested.

11. Realitoes

I would not recommend following this advice.

Asking them to sue you could get you referred to their legal department, which will probably stop communications between you and the company. Also, they don't have to prove you caused the damage, only that the damaged happen while the vehicle was rented by you. You don't have to specifically cause the damage to be responsible.

Continue to dispute the claim and ask for the information in the thread linked above. Also, because of various time limits, you may want to file with your insurance (including any coverage you have with your credit card) in case you will be required to pay.

12. sas80

Staff Member Advocate

Actually, @Realitoes , you are wrong. You remember Joe Farrell? Our resident Lawyer? You must have missed this when he posted it. Here is what he said about the car rental company and any damage they claim you did

You may sign a contract which contains provision that you are responsible for all damage occurring to the vehicle 'while in your possession,' but how do they prove it happened while in your possession? Unless you admit to doing it - or they have visual evidence to the contrary.

The terms make you liable - if they can prove it. All of these damage claims are not about the technical contract language - they are about what the claimant can prove beyond a preponderance of the evidence. An absolute contract provision that 'damage is your fault pay up regardless of proof' is called a forfeiture clause and those have never been in enforced in US jurisprudence in consumer contracts.

If they took the poster to a court of law they would be required to prove that the renter committed the damage. Them saying "well, we saw the issue when the person returned and at that point we took pictures" isn't going to cut it. As well, as a matter of preparing for the case, they would have to turn over all documentation that you are asking for, nothing would be allowed to be held back.

As fr as the BBB goes, what do the pictures that the rental company sent REALLY look like? Pictures of the same color, make and model car but none with the license plate, or date time stamp ON them? If those pictures dont actually prove the damage didnt exist prior to the rental, then I would reply and tell them that. As far as the sixt employee not moving the vehicle - not pictures can prove that but a copy of the FLEET LOGS would! but they wont give them to you, will they?

There's a lot more that needs to be pursued in this situation, and I believe the LW is pursuing it. Keep us posted!

13. Realitoes

Instead of regurgitating some internet lawyer's unsubstantiated dribble, I would recommend doing a bit of research before providing secondhand legal advise. In any case, legal opinions are just that - opinions. It doesn't mean they are true or will bear out in court, otherwise, attorneys wouldn't lose cases and and all their criminal clients would really be innocent.

Please substantiate this statement, perhaps with some case law.