• Hi Guest, welcome to the help forum. You can get fast answers to your customer service questions here. We have a dedicated team of advocates who are ready to help. Just go to the section that matches your question and ask us!
  • If you've posted a question or issue for our advocates to assist with, please be sure to check back frequently for responses and requests for clarification.
  • Did you know you can get email notifications when something new posts to your favorite forum? It's easy. Just click the "watch" link right next to the "post new thread" button at the top of your favorite forum. The rest is easy. Now you'll never miss another conversation.
  • Want to become an expert user? Drop by the How to use this forum section and all will be revealed. We'll show you how to make the most of your experience.
Jun 24, 2019
VoR61's letter is much clearer. I think you can be even briefer since the pickup info isn't really necessary:

"I am writing to you today because my efforts to resolve an issue with your claims department have been unsuccessful. Here are the details:​
  • On October ??, I returned a car in Milan with no damage.
  • At the time of return, I asked your agent if she would like to jointly inspect the car's condition, but she declined.
  • You have provided pictures of two surface scratches, but they are not time stamped and were taken at a different location from the return. I assume this damage occurred after the return while the car was in Sixt's possession.
As the car was returned with no damage and you have produced no evidence to the contrary, I would very much appreciate this matter being dropped.​
Thank you for your time and consideration"​
I think the letter needs the year mentioned, because Sixt has taken so long to get around to this. I ould also add that based upon OP's interaction with Sixt in 2018, he believed the matter was resolved in his favor.

Reactions: mmb and VoR61

VoR61

Jan 6, 2015
the United States
VoR61's letter is much clearer. I think you can be even briefer since the pickup info isn't really necessary:

"I am writing to you today because my efforts to resolve an issue with your claims department have been unsuccessful. Here are the details:​
  • On October ??, I returned a car in Milan with no damage.
  • At the time of return, I asked your agent if she would like to jointly inspect the car's condition, but she declined.
  • You have provided pictures of two surface scratches, but they are not time stamped and were taken at a different location from the return. I assume this damage occurred after the return while the car was in Sixt's possession.
As the car was returned with no damage and you have produced no evidence to the contrary, I would very much appreciate this matter being dropped.​
An interesting idea, Neil, and one worth considering I think. I included the pickup inspection as it eliminates the possibility that the vehicle was unknowingly damaged before driving off.

smd

Mar 14, 2018
An interesting idea, Neil, and one worth considering I think. I included the pickup inspection as it eliminates the possibility that the vehicle was unknowingly damaged before driving off.

The OP's position is he returned the car without any dents, so by definition the dents also weren't present when he picked the car up. That's why I think it muddies the story.

Dec 30, 2020
The OP's position is he returned the car without any dents, so by definition the dents also weren't present when he picked the car up. That's why I think it muddies the story.
Actually, the point about the dents is: when I was denied the walk around at pick up, I was instructed to look for dents - so we walked around the car and checked for anything as major as a noticeable dent (We weren’t looking for small cosmetic scratches....)

Dec 30, 2020
My feedback will be in three parts. First, avoid using the word "scam" even though you are likely NOT referring to Sixt. It could be confusing. Second, I do not think it is appropriate to include requests about how they run their business. And third, while your narrative is polite, it could be better by shortening and summarizing.
Here is an example:

• On September 23rd I rented a vehicle at he Rome Ciampino Airport
  • I requested a walk-around with the lot attendant on duty, but was denied and told to report back to her "only any dents noted" (there were none)
  • When I returned the car in Milan, I again requested a walk-around from the attendant, and again I was denied
  • The attendant asked: "were you involved in any accident" - I responded "no", to which she assured me there would be no issue closing out the rental
  • Sixt IT contacted me weeks later via e-mail requesting information about damages
  • They provided pictures of two surface scratches - but the pictures were not time stamped, and the car was not parked in the location where I left it
I would very much appreciate this matter being dropped, as there was no damage made to the vehicle while it was in my possession​

They should be able to read your email in 3-5 minutes without encountering accusations, threats, or emotional pleas
for assistance. Offer only what they "need to know" in order to understand your experience and process your request.

You can escalate this using the email addresses in this link: Sixt Contacts
be sure to start at the lowest level and that you give each contact one (1) week to respond before escalating to the next level
I did see that list of contacts, and in the absence of a better idea and better contact info - I’ll run that trap line... but I’ve learned through this process that the reporting chains at Sixt are very country specific (the gal I worked with at Sixt US was very helpful and provided me a lot of good insight and information... but at the end of the day, she couldn’t access their “systems and processes” - she would have if she was able!)... I can’t help but believe that executive contacts within Italy would be more appropriate (until I get to the top - which would land in Germany - as it’s a German company)...

Dec 30, 2020
Thanks for all the great suggestions all! I’ll tighten it up and get it out today to start the clock... first up: the claims department I previously engaged with...

smd

Mar 14, 2018
Actually, the point about the dents is: when I was denied the walk around at pick up, I was instructed to look for dents - so we walked around the car and checked for anything as major as a noticeable dent (We weren’t looking for small cosmetic scratches....)
Ah, I misinterpreted. You're saying the scratches may have been there when you returned the car, but the counter rep only told you to look for dents? That's going to be a tougher story to win, since the written contract says you're responsible for all damage.

Dec 30, 2020
Ah, I misinterpreted. You're saying the scratches may have been there when you returned the car, but the counter rep only told you to look for dents? That's going to be a tougher story to win, since the written contract says you're responsible for all damage.
SMD - no... I'm contending (which isn't strong enough language, but it is more polite :)) the scratches were there when I picked up the car. It was the counter rep at the pick-up location that told me I only needed to bother noting any dents... Which significantly shapes the paradigm of my walk-around...

And this gets down a bit of a rabbit hole, but.... the definition of "damage" comes in to question in this type of dispute. Scratches that can be buffed out in less than 10 minutes, but have no bearing on the operability or resale value of the care - don't qualify as "damage" in my book... particularly when coupled with the counter reps direction that "only dents" need be reported...

And more to the point: had I been afforded the opportunity to perform an inspection at drop off with a Sixt employee - I don't believe any rep could have even called out these "damages" with a straight face. And if they did - I would have run to the nearest hardware or auto parts store and purchased the necessary buffing equipment for $40-$50 and taken care of it on the spot :)...

Jun 24, 2019
Our OP should simply focus on being told to look for dents. I’ve “rented” from Enterprise any number of times where they tell me I’m only responsible for bigger things, and when I ask where that is in the electronic contract they won’t show me until I sign, they go blank. Thus, if SIXT wants to hold folks responsible for scratches, it ought to tell folks to go look for scratches.

Reactions: hdavidk
Dec 30, 2020
You can certainly ask the US contacts for contacts in Italy.
Interesting idea Neil - I'll see if the lady I worked with is still there (nearly 2 years after the fact), but I doubt it - and even if she was; every company I've worked for, as a matter of policy, does not ... but I will definitely burn some time and calories trying to find

Dec 30, 2020
And below is what I sent to the Sixt IT claims address I had initially corresponded with:

Sixt-IT,

I would very much appreciate this matter being dropped on the following grounds, as there was no damage made to the vehicle while it was in my possession:

1. The vehicle was not involved in ANY incident while in my possession that could have caused or resulted in the described damage

2. I was denied my request to physically inspect the vehicle with a Sixt employee at BOTH the pick-up and drop-off locations. Which is not in accordance with common Sixt policy and procedure. I have rented numerous vehicles from Sixt, and this is the first time I have been denied the opportunity to conduct a physical inspection with a Sixt employee. (In fact, just days prior to this rental, I rented a car from Sixt Ireland - and participated in physical inspections at the pick-up and drop-off locations with Sixt employees)

3. Sixt IT was unable to provide any date/time-stamped photos taken immediately upon the return of the vehicle. And the pictures that were sent to me showed the car in parking spot that was different than the spot I left it – and were time tagged hours after I returned the car.

I appreciate your response within 7 days. Thank you for your time and consideration,

Dec 30, 2020
So after my initial 30 day clock handed out by the debt collection agency expired over the weekend (which I responded to on Friday with the form letter above), I received in today's mail, a letter from them requesting a settlement offer from me to present to their client (Sixt IT)… weird... and with the post moving as slow as it is - this had to have been sent prior to the expiration... Any thoughts...?

Jun 24, 2019
So after my initial 30 day clock handed out by the debt collection agency expired over the weekend (which I responded to on Friday with the form letter above), I received in today's mail, a letter from them requesting a settlement offer from me to present to their client (Sixt IT)… weird... and with the post moving as slow as it is - this had to have been sent prior to the expiration... Any thoughts...?

dear collection agency

i have not received the courtesy of a reply to my letter dated x, a copy of which is attached.

sincerely yours,

etc.