Sixt Car Rental (Florida) - requesting add'l $$'s on rescheduling after Covid

• Hi Guest, welcome to the help forum. You can get fast answers to your customer service questions here. We have a dedicated team of advocates who are ready to help. Just go to the section that matches your question and ask us!
  • If you've posted a question or issue for our advocates to assist with, please be sure to check back frequently for responses and requests for clarification.
  • Did you know you can get email notifications when something new posts to your favorite forum? It's easy. Just click the "watch" link right next to the "post new thread" button at the top of your favorite forum. The rest is easy. Now you'll never miss another conversation.
  • Want to become an expert user? Drop by the How to use this forum section and all will be revealed. We'll show you how to make the most of your experience.
Nov 17, 2020
In Feb 2020, I booked a car rental online via Priceline with Sixt Car Rental (6 days - Apr 5-10 for $265.98). When Covid hit, I talked with Sixt Rental Car and they wouldn't provide a refund, but they rebooked my rental into the future (one year out Apr 3 - 8, 2021) and indicated I could change the date at any time as long as it is used within the year. I talked to them yesterday (Nov 16) and they are saying that I will need to pay an additional $232.89 (for a total of $498.87) to change my rental to Nov 27 - Dec 2, 2020. Is there anything I can do to fight this extra expense?

VoR61

Jan 6, 2015
the United States
What has happened, I believe, is that the increase is because the new dates span the Thanksgiving holiday period. The same would hold true for airfare. Not all dates are equal in fares, so this increase seems legitimate. Unless they specified otherwise in writing, you have little recourse.

However, you can try an appeal to them using the contacts listed here: https://www.elliott.org/company-contacts/sixt/

Sep 18, 2018
What has happened, I believe, is that the increase is because the new dates span the Thanksgiving holiday period.

This looks to be exactly what happened. Not only is it a holiday weekend with much higher demand and higher prices -- confirmed by a search on those dates on Sixt's website -- but the OP is making the change within two weeks of the rental period, which also can have a profound effect on pricing.

The search I did showed a $350-$400 difference in pricing between the dates (admittedly, for a random city since the OP didn't specify), so the difference of $232.89 doesn't seem extreme.

jsn55

Verified Member
Dec 26, 2014
San Francisco
Thanksgiving has become a huge travel time and this year will probably be not much of an exception. Next time you need a rental, do a search and book direct so you have flexibility. Prepaying is usually a bad idea.

Neil Maley

Staff Member
Advocate
Dec 27, 2014
New York
www.promalvacations.com
Never say never. :)

Prepaying for a car rental is like buying non-refundable airline tickets: you have to decide whether the discount you get is worth the loss of flexibility. Sometimes it's not, sometimes it is.
But too many don’t realize that - just as they don’t with a nonrefundable airline ticket when they don’t buy insurance, get sick and can’t travel and then want a refund. You need to accept the consequences when you choose those rates.

Dec 5, 2014
In Feb 2020, I booked a car rental online via Priceline with Sixt Car Rental (6 days - Apr 5-10 for $265.98). When Covid hit, I talked with Sixt Rental Car and they wouldn't provide a refund, but they rebooked my rental into the future (one year out Apr 3 - 8, 2021) and indicated I could change the date at any time as long as it is used within the year. I talked to them yesterday (Nov 16) and they are saying that I will need to pay an additional $232.89 (for a total of $498.87) to change my rental to Nov 27 - Dec 2, 2020. Is there anything I can do to fight this extra expense?
If the increase of the car rental rate during the Thanksgiving period stops you from making the trip, Sixt may be doing you a favor. Florida has seen an average of over 8,000 new cases of COVID-19 per day during the past two weeks. Should you become ill during the trip, your home state may not let you back in without first undergoing a 14 day quarantine. Perhaps you are better off following the advice of Christopher Elliott and the people at the CDC by staying home during this dangerous period. Hopefully, by next April, you and a significant percentage of the American people will have been vaccinated and the danger of becoming seriously ill while travelling will be greatly diminished.