Sister's Death

• Hi Guest, welcome to the help forum. You can get fast answers to your customer service questions here. We have a dedicated team of advocates who are ready to help. Just go to the section that matches your question and ask us!
  • If you've posted a question or issue for our advocates to assist with, please be sure to check back frequently for responses and requests for clarification.
  • Did you know you can get email notifications when something new posts to your favorite forum? It's easy. Just click the "watch" link right next to the "post new thread" button at the top of your favorite forum. The rest is easy. Now you'll never miss another conversation.
  • Want to become an expert user? Drop by the How to use this forum section and all will be revealed. We'll show you how to make the most of your experience.
Apr 4, 2018
My wife and I were taking back to back cruises August 2017 on NCL to the Western and then the Eastern Caribbean. The first 7 days were awful, as we both contacted some type of stomach infection and were hospitalized on board for 4 days. Our insurance company has reimbursed us for the $10k in medical bills, thank goodness. The only thing NCL offered was $85 towards the drink package. We had missed over half of our trip and were in quarantine.
After departing on Saturday for the second portion of the Eastern Caribbean, we received a ship to shore call on Sunday. Although the call came in Sunday morning, we didn't get notification from NCL until we returned to our stateroom late Sunday night.
I phoned my brother at that time only to hear that my younger sister, Angenai Terlouw, had been murdered by her fiancé, Daniel Winkler in Stockton, California. We could not depart from the cruise until we landed on Tuesday in our first port of call, St. Tomas. As a result, we were not able to enjoy 6 of the 7 days of our trip, and left the boat as soon as we landed on Tuesday morning.
I have emailed NCL several times and filed two separate claims for reimbursement of any type and can not get a response.
I

JVillegirl541

Verified Member
Nov 21, 2014
If you did not buy specific Travel Insurance be sure and check with your credit card provider (the one you used to pay for that cruise) if they have Travel benefits that would cover this situation.

I am so very sorry for your loss.

Apr 4, 2018
No, unfortunately, we did not get insurance. I was just hoping that the cruise line would offer some type of resolution due to the tragic nature of the incident and because we are Gold Members and have cruised with them so often. Even a credit towards a future cruise would be appreciated.

Apr 4, 2018
If you did not buy specific Travel Insurance be sure and check with your credit card provider (the one you used to pay for that cruise) if they have Travel benefits that would cover this situation.

I am so very sorry for your loss.
Thank you for your response and I appreciate your kind words.

JVillegirl541

Verified Member
Nov 21, 2014
Please, please, check with the credit card provider. Many credit cards have Travel Insurance Benefits IF you used their card to pay for this cruise. My Sapphire Reserve Card from Chase Bank is just one of many who provide Travel Insurance Benefits that may assist in this matter.

Neil Maley

Staff Member
Advocate
Dec 27, 2014
New York
www.promalvacations.com
I agree with my colleagues- see if the credit card you used has any coverage.

The cruise lines sell insurance for instances like this- it’s trip interrupting that you needed.

I can’t imagine what you had to deal with- I wish I had better news for you.

Oct 30, 2015
North Laurasia
My condolences on the death of your sister. To have contracted a nasty bug and then get news like that...I doubt I'd ever take a cruise again.

This of course is not helpful now, but I have a rule of thumb...any trip I take that costs over a $1000, I get travel insurance. I know, sometimes the insurance is almost as much but if something happens, at least I get SOME sort of reimbursement.

Apr 4, 2018
In an update - the credit card company (Chase Sapphire) has reimbursed me for the days we did not use - which was Wednesday, Thurs, Friday and Saturday; however, I'm still out of luck with compensation for Sunday, Monday and Tuesday. We received the news on Sunday evening about my sister's death, but were at sea until we reached St. Tomas on Tuesday. I guess I may have to be happy with paying for those three days on my own, although I will never understand why they didn't track us down earlier Sunday by our guest cards.
We went on a "make-up" cruise in December because of airline credits we were forced to accept. I was in a fog the whole time and just spooked by the previous experiences. We spent most of the time just resting and sleeping and SANTIZING constantly .
I guess my disappointment lies with NCL in having such good customers and not offering anything to compensate us for either of the two back to back cruises given the situations. I don't think I'll be using NCL in the future or recommending the cruise line to anyone I know due to their lack of empathy or offer of anything. Even a discounted future cruise would have been appreciated.