Singapore Air, payment made, refuse to offer ticket or refund

• Hi Guest, welcome to the help forum. You can get fast answers to your customer service questions here. We have a dedicated team of advocates who are ready to help. Just go to the section that matches your question and ask us!
  • If you've posted a question or issue for our advocates to assist with, please be sure to check back frequently for responses and requests for clarification.
  • Did you know you can get email notifications when something new posts to your favorite forum? It's easy. Just click the "watch" link right next to the "post new thread" button at the top of your favorite forum. The rest is easy. Now you'll never miss another conversation.
  • Want to become an expert user? Drop by the How to use this forum section and all will be revealed. We'll show you how to make the most of your experience.
Feb 8, 2018
Hi there,

I have a situation with Singapore Air and would appreciate some advice.

Jan 6. I went on Singapore website to purchase ticket, Hong Kong to San Francisco. There was a system failure and the ticket failed to book after I input my card information. My bank notified me immediately that the payment of approximately $1500 was processed. I immediately called customer service, was told no problem and I should have a refund within a few days. I wasn’t worried at all, Singapore is a great airline.

Called a week later to check status, still no refund, they say to wait. I was happy to receive a refund or have the the amount applied to a ticket. Still not worried.

Jan 29. Sent email, asked for written confirmation regarding the status of my funds. Sent a screenshot of my failed booking on Singapore’s website. Also sent a picture of my bank statement with funds deducted going to Singapore Air. They replied they would look into it, just wait.

February 7. Customer agent called me to inform me they do not have the funds, there is nothing they can do. They apologise. I start looking into small claim’s court. I ask for written confirmation regarding this decision but they say only respond that “they are looking into the situation... “ I post on Singapore’s Facebook page about my situation with my plan to resolve through relevant authorities and/or small cliam’s court.

February 8 (today). Customer agent called to inform me that after further inquiry, they were able to find my funds. They would refund my account. I requested written confirmation but they responded “they are looking into the situation...” I requested some miles as a goodwill gesture and they offered me 5,000 which I rejected.

Should I just take the refund and call it a day? I feel Singapore Air really failed in this situation. Appreciate any input.

Jan 6, 2015
There's not -so-old saying: "To Err is Human; To Really Foul Things Up Requires a Computer ..."

The same system failure that messed you up almost certainly messed their system up as well. And that could explain why they had so much trouble finding the funds.

I lean toward a) accepting the refund (wait until you actually have it "in hand" and then b) use the Company Contacts link at the top of this page to present your case for more miles. Before you do, be sure to read and follow the instructions at the top of the initial Company Contacts page first. And remember to include your desired compensation.

Jan 11, 2017
Whenever I buy an airline ticket (Singapore Air included), there is ticket# and the name (code) of my departure and arrival aiports. What was on your statement? Just 'Singapore Airline' nothing else?
I would be satisfied with the refund and the 5k miles. If it is not coming, I would initiate a cc charge back. Without a ticket I can not imagine the bank side with the airline.
Are you a frequent Singapore flyer?

Feb 8, 2018
Appreciate the responses! Happy to note they have already refunded the money. I’m a frequent SQ flyer but I add the miles into my Asiana account.

I feel 5000 miles is really insufficient and I really have no use for them and they would be orphaned. I wonder if I should pursue 10,000 or 15,000 miles. I’m finding that when you’re in the situation, it’s difficult to be fully objective. Any thoughts?

Jan 6, 2015
Only you can decide what this "hiccup" is worth. I located their mileage calculator, which can give you a better idea of the miles needed for a given itinerary.

When I entered your trip into the calculator, I see between 7,000 and 13,500 miles depending on the fare class. So even 5,000 miles seems like lot to me for this computer glitch ...

Feb 8, 2018
Thanks everyone! They refunded everything so it all worked out with no major out of pocket fees. I will talk to them and ask nicely for 10,000 miles with no expectations. ☺️