1. Hi Guest, welcome to the help forum. You can get fast answers to your customer service questions here. We have a dedicated team of advocates who are ready to help. Just go to the section that matches your question and ask us!
    Dismiss Notice
  2. If you've posted a question or issue for our advocates to assist with, please be sure to check back frequently for responses and requests for clarification.
    Dismiss Notice
  3. Did you know you can get email notifications when something new posts to your favorite forum? It's easy. Just click the "watch" link right next to the "post new thread" button at the top of your favorite forum. The rest is easy. Now you'll never miss another conversation.
    Dismiss Notice
  4. Want to become an expert user? Drop by the How to use this forum section and all will be revealed. We'll show you how to make the most of your experience.
    Dismiss Notice

Should I give Southwest another chance?

Discussion in 'Airlines' started by JCL, Oct 21, 2015.

?

Should I give Southwest another chance?

Poll closed Oct 28, 2015.
  1. Yes, time has healed all wounds

6 vote(s)
    100.0%
  2. No way, they STILL don't deserve your dollars

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  1. JCL

JCL

In 1994 (yes, 21 years ago) Southwest Airlines served Denver. I bought tickets to SF Bay area and had no issues getting there. It was known that SWA was going to no longer serve Denver shortly after my trip (if I remember right, two or three weeks after I returned to Denver). For whatever reasons, the City of Denver made SWA furious and they stopped flying to Denver early, and literally made the decision hours before my flight to Denver.

When I got to the airport, I was greeted with an envelope with the cash value for my flight and a quick goodbye. After initial panic, I found out from other passengers that both United and Continental were taking that cash, whatever the amount was, and booking people on the next available seat to Denver. Both airlines had a hub in Denver at that time. I quickly went to the United purchase desk, handed over my envelope, and got the next flight to Denver (which ended up me being home about 10 minutes earlier than I would have been with SWA).

That day I became a loyal customer to United, even to the point of brainwashed with the FF program and all, until I regained my sanity about 14 years later. I am now free of that relationship (although I have flown and will probably fly United again), fly Frontier and AA, but still have not forgiven SWA for how they treated me 21 years ago.

Now that all airlines that serve Denver are horrid, do I give SWA another chance?

AAGK likes this.
  2. bodega3

bodega3 Guest

First off, all carriers move from serving an airport and then often come back later, so UA and AA are no better or worst in this than WN. I only fly WN for nonstop flights. In fact, just booked them to Nashville as they have the only nonstop flight from our area. I would have preferred UA but I won't connect if I don't have to.
    You don't get seat assignments, only a one class plane, but no luggage fee and a happy crew.

jsn55, mmb, Algebralovr and 2 others like this.
  3. Algebralovr

I have been very happily flying Southwest for the last few years. I am more likely to get a non-stop flight from STL on WN than any other airline these days for the locations I tend to fly to.
    They have a pretty large operation in Denver these days, so you might as well give them a chance. Their frequent flyer program is one of the better ones, in my opinion, since they don't set aside reward seats - they just fluctuate the points needed based on price of ticket. I also appreciate that if the price of a ticket drops, I can get a system credit to use later.

One suggestion when booking through Southwest: there is no discount in booking a round trip ticket. It is easier to make changes and get credits when you book each way as a separate ticket. Keep in mind the WGA tickets are always non-refundable but may produce a system credit to be used at a later time.

4. Mike Z

Staff Member Advocate

JCL, given that the new model for most airlines is to charge you extra for nearly everything, I would have gone back to Southwest long ago. Yeah what happened to you does suck, but if you stopped doing business with every single company that screwed up, well before long you would probably live on some ranch in Montana wearing clothing made from Grizzly bears.

I say give them another shot, but only if it economically makes sense for you. In fact, I think you should write a letter with your experience to the CEO of Southwest and let him know that you have decided that the airline deserves another chance.

George M likes this.
  5. JVillegirl541

Staff Member Advocate

While I understand you anger, this is kind of a long time to hold a grudge!

6. Mike Z

Staff Member Advocate

Even a woman, ex-wife, etc doesn't hold on to a grudge that long! ;)

jsn55, VoR61 and Sam like this.
  7. JVillegirl541

Staff Member Advocate

Well there has been a time or two ;)

Joesloppy and VoR61 like this.
  8. mmb

mmb

SWA also does not charge change fees, so even a non-refundable WGA ticket can be changed for use to another time, within one year from purchase. You just pay (or get credit ) for any change in ticket cost.

VoR61 likes this.
  9. Tanya

For many many many many years, Southwest was almost all I flew, I love them. Of course, they were also about the only game in town for awhile. They tend to have the most compassionate, kind, lovely, funny, crew that you can have. My parents were having to fly back and forth for Dad's cancer treatments, and let me tell you, Southwest was just absolutely wonderful to both my mom and dad, since after a few months, the crew learned their flights. They just went above and beyond what they had to do. I don't fly them as much anymore, mainly because I have been traveling more internationally, but will always say, if the schedule and price works, go for it.

VoR61 and Mike Z like this.
  10. GNRMatt

Advocate

I think I'll be the naysayer here and say I'm not a big fan of Southwest. I like to have advanced seat assignments and chances at upgrades. There's many more reasons, but that is just a personal choice.

Now, for you personally, I wouldn't hold a bad incident from 20+ years ago against them. If you find that the price is right for the route you are flying and the schedule works best for you, go for it.

VoR61 likes this.
  11. Realitoes

For me it depends on the schedule and price. I have no problem with WN - especially on shorter non-stop flights. If non-stop or pricing isn't an issue - UA is my preferred carrier.

VoR61 likes this.
  12. bodega3

bodega3 Guest

I prefer UA, too, but in the winter, nonstop vs connecting in DEN or ORD makes WN the winner! I would not take WN across the US, but that is just me.

VoR61 and Realitoes like this.
  13. Sam

Sam

@bodega3 one of the nice things about flying out of Denver is the amount of non stops that are available to a lot of destinations on both United and South West. While I'm usually loyal to one of the airlines, I have no problem switching between the two.

VoR61 likes this.
  14. technomage1

Staff Member Advocate

Airlines can and do change over the years. Delta used to be awful, now they're probably the best US legacy carrier out there. I'd vote to give them another chance.

VoR61 and Realitoes like this.
  15. bodega3

bodega3 Guest

Yes, DEN gives you more nonstop options than the east or west coast.

VoR61 likes this.
  16. Neil

Neil Moderator
    Staff Member Advocate

I feel the same way

17. JCL

JCL

The point was, when WN abruptly stopped flying, they did not notify me (although I suspect it was too short a time), and only gave a cash refund with no options. A woman traveling with her children was crying and pleading with the ticket agent for help, and was told to vacate the area or would be subject to arrest.

Other airlines could have attempted to charge the same day walk up price, they did not. Granted, airlines like that are extinct, but at that time, it was great for everyone they helped. Both Continental and United went well way above what they needed to have done.

That woman traveling with her children was treated well by the next airline (UA, I saw her and her children on my flight).

I guess since UA stinks, F9 stinks, does WN really deserve another chance? I know I have plenty of choices flying out of DEN, should I even really try with WN?

18. bodega3

bodega3 Guest

Are you sure WN abruptly pulled out of DEN?

19. mmb

mmb

I just HATE that SW does not fly nonStop DEN>RSW.
    Today I flew Fontier home to FL because it was cheaper and is non-stop. BUT the timing sucks: one flight, NOT daily leaves DEN @6:30 am and Frontier does not participate inTSA pre-check. After going through the the Global Entry application/ screening process and paying the fee I hate not having acces to the shorter, easier process.
    I don't know what was going on (maybe a reaction to the possible budget problems, i.e. Look what happens when the Govt can't pay its bills ) but the dedicated TSA area for Frontier had only one conveyer line open so we were directed to the main TSA area where they only had three conveyer lines open. I arrived at the airport at 5:00am, checked luggage curbside and then endured 10 lanes of back and forth just to get up to the checkpoint. From there thru the screening was torture. TSA agents just seemed to be purposely slow ( I always need the required hand swab as I travel with my six pound chihuahua.)
    TSA took one hour to complete and as I fly back and forth RSW>DEN>RSW often I can tell you this is NOT the norm. RSW is a small airport and rarely sees these kinds of delays and DEN is usually operating at full speed and very efficient. My husband reported that he had to run to catch his flight right after Labor Day at DEN because of the same TSA issues.
    Boarding the flight was difficult; people have large backpacks which protrude from their their rear area one foot or more and just turn with no regard to who they may whack with the bundle. I sat in seat 2D which had extra legroom but it was one of the newer planes and the aisle is very narrow. People pulling roller bags and baby seats through the aisle just seemed to disregard the issues and just blasts on through. The rather large guy across the aisle for me got up three times and leaned over his seat from the aisle, sticking his butt into my space each time he did so. Can someone tell me, should say something or just try to endure it get out of his way?
    We were delayed leaving, as someone in the back of the plane was having an anxiety attack and considered leaving the plane. She eventually was able to stay on the plane and I was stressed about what may happen if she suddenly decide she need to get off somewhere between DEN>RSW.
    The FAs seemed stressed serving what is now called their ' on-board Menu ' as opposed to beverage service.
    I know all of this is minor and ultimately I am grateful that I was able to get home safely and in a timely manner but air travel is just very stressful these days.

jsn55 likes this.
  20. JCL

JCL

Oh yes. I remember it well. The following day both the Denver Post and the Rocky Mountain News had multiple articles about it. In 1994, WN was going to abandon Denver. They had a cutoff date. They actually announced it after I had bought my tickets, but I figured I was safe. WN decided to pull out early.

My understanding was that they did not park planes overnight at DIA. The same day I was to fly, a few weeks early, they decided to pull out, I believe over some gate and landing fees at DIA that WN felt was still unfair especially when compared to CO and UA. I was not the only one affected. Everyone flying in or out of Denver during those last few weeks were, and all WN did for those thousands of customers was to give an envelope of cash and a goodbye.

I still have a sour taste in my mouth. My question remains, should I let bygones be bygones?