1. Hi Guest, welcome to the help forum. You can get fast answers to your customer service questions here. We have a dedicated team of advocates who are ready to help. Just go to the section that matches your question and ask us!
    Dismiss Notice
  2. If you've posted a question or issue for our advocates to assist with, please be sure to check back frequently for responses and requests for clarification.
    Dismiss Notice
  3. Did you know you can get email notifications when something new posts to your favorite forum? It's easy. Just click the "watch" link right next to the "post new thread" button at the top of your favorite forum. The rest is easy. Now you'll never miss another conversation.
    Dismiss Notice
  4. Want to become an expert user? Drop by the How to use this forum section and all will be revealed. We'll show you how to make the most of your experience.
    Dismiss Notice

Shore Excursions Group

Discussion in 'Other' started by Dkolett, Oct 11, 2017.

1. Dkolett

My husband and I traveled on the Vision of the Seas sailing out of Quebec 9/20. We booked 5 excursions through Shore Excursions Group. We are frequent cruisers, but this was my first experience using this company and was impressed with the testimonials and guarantee of satisfaction. We had 2 days in Boston arriving on 9/28 at 7 am and leaving at 2 pm on 9/29. I booked 2 tours with them, one for each day. The first Boston tour went fine although they were very late picking us up at the terminal, and the operators complained about traffic. When I checked my instructions again the next morning for the meeting place I noticed that the tour date was listed as yesterday, which was impossible for us to do 2 tours at the same time. I called the local contact number of Gray Line at 7 am and asked if the tour was available for us that day and they said yes, but we would have to go to their office. Yes, I was aware and willing to do that, but we had an all aboard time of 1:30 pm. The tour was to leave at 9:30 and take 3 1/2 hours. Would they make sure we were back by 1 pm so that I we had at least a half hour to get back to our ship? I was told no. This was one of the main reasons I booked with them. I told them I was uncomfortable taking that excursion and requested a refund. They said since I booked through Shore Excursions I would have to go through them. I contacted them that afternoon and they said they would look into it. Yesterday I got an email denying my request.

2. sas80

Staff Member Advocate

I assume that you meant you thru RCCL Shore Excursions? Why did the shore excursion dept deny your request? what reason did they give?

3. Neil

Neil Moderator
    Staff Member Advocate

They are a very reputable company. They give you a cancel by date when you book. You should have called Shore Excursions immediately, not Gray Line. You didn't check the confirmations when you received them?

How did you book the excursions- over the phone or online?

4. Neil

Neil Moderator
    Staff Member Advocate

There is a company called Shore Excursions that do Shore excursions for all cruise lines. They often offer more than the cruise line and better prices in many cases.

jsn55 likes this.
  5. Dkolett

No, I booked through Shore Excursions Group. It is a company not affiliated with RCCL that offers excursions based on your itinerary through private vendors.

Below is the email they sent me after I called and explained the situation to them.

“We do apologize that you were unable to take your tour.

Our management team has reviewed your reservation based on the information provided have decided not to move forward with a refund.”

If you have any further questions please feel free to contact us.

Terrence Johnson
    Excursions Expert
    Shore Excursions Group | www.shoreexcursionsgroup.com
    1-866-999-6590 Ext: 825

6. Dkolett

I booked online. I was careful to pick the correct date when I booked. Shore excursions did not open until 9 am and the tour was scheduled at 9:30. I called Gray Line before we headed over to make sure they would return in time for us to make our departure time for the ship and they refused.

7. sas80

Staff Member Advocate

So you double booked yourselves on the first day?

What time was the first tour scheduled to begin and end? What time was the second tour scheduled to begin and end?

It seems to me that, if the first tour and the second tour overlap, and you listed the same names on each reservation, that is an obvious mistake on your part.

Was that the case here? Or did one tour start and in time to allow you to take the second tour?

8. Dkolett

When you book the tours you put in the port and the date. Boston was a challenge because we were there for 2 days. I was careful to change the date when I booked the second tour. Both tours began at the same time. I booked 5 tours total with them, one per day. I didn’t notice when they sent the confirmation that they booked both tours on the first day. I booked 5 tours with them and it didn’t occur to me that they would book me for 2 tours at exactly the same time. Obviously I couldn’t be at 2 places at once. They agreed to honor the booking for the second day and told me the tour was available but it wasn’t until they told me they wouldn’t have me back on time that I decided we couldn’t take that tour. With the times provided at booking we would have been fine.

9. sas80

Staff Member Advocate

Well, most likely they didn't book both tours on the same day, you did. If this was a glitch that was real, you would not be the only one experiencing it, and (most likely) if you were not the only one experiencing it, they would have someone review bookings to catch this and/or be happy to refund your money. If I googled the right company, they seem to have a very big calendar to choose from when selecting dates as well. Hard to mis-select on that calendar. I don't even need my reading glasses for it :)

I assume you received email confirmation of your booking? Go take a look at it. What dates does it list? if you cant find it in your inbox, look for it in your trash, or spam. the problem is that you most likely had plenty of time to catch and correct the issue.

Did you blame them? or did you say "Wow, I am so sorry, As you can see, there is no way we can be in both places at the same time. I must have made a mistake when I booked. Is there any way I might be able to get a refund for the tour we missed? if not, perhaps a credit for a tour for the next time we are looking for excursions?"

If you blamed them, or simply asked for your money back, why not reply, maybe take ownership, but definitely ask for a credit?

10. Dkolett

I have been told that I have an active case so I am hoping for the best.

I am not blaming anyone about the double booking because although it is part of the story, it is not the reason I am seeking a refund. They were willing to have us join the tour on the day we wanted, but they would not stand behind the agreement to have us back in time to make our all aboard time. The company seems to have a great reputation and we enjoyed the other 4 tours we took, but it would think twice before I booked anything else if they do not stand behind their guarantee.

11. Neil

Neil Moderator
    Staff Member Advocate

The computer only spits out what you put in but that's neither here nor there at this point. When you book, you chose the date and the ship - they know what time the ship leaves and base the available excursions on the time your ship is scheduled to leave. That timing may have been good for the day before which you originally chose it from. It might not have been available on the day you wanted to change it to because the ship was only in port half a day- which is why you should have called the tour company, not Gray Line. They might have told you right then and there that that tour wasn't available for the second day. So your second error was not calling them instead of Gray Line to resolve the issue. If you had booked through RCCL, you might not have been able to get a refund for canceling at the last minute. This isn't their fault at all.

They only provide refund for excursions cancelled within 14 days of the day of the tour - they don't refund for no shows:

Cancellation Policy
    Unless otherwise noted within the tour description, customers can cancel a tour up to 14 days before departure and receive a full refund. All tours are non-refundable if not canceled by customers before 14 days before tour departure.

No refunds will be made to any customer who fails to show up for a tour departure at the designated time and place, or who leaves, or otherwise does not use all of the services scheduled to be provided by an excursion. Most tours will operate in a variety of weather conditions, and no refunds will be made to any customer who chooses not to participate in a departing tour due to weather conditions. Members of any excursion who elect to leave the designated tour transportation must provide their own transportation at their own expense back to the landing place of the vessel.

If you still gave an active case - let us know what they say. Perhaps they will give you a credit to be used on a future cruise.

jsn55 likes this.
  12. Dkolett

I did try to call the company, but the office was closed until 9 am. My information said to call Gray Line the day of the tour, which is what I did. The timing should have worked for the half day. The 3 1/2 hour trip was supposed to leave at 9:30, we should have been back by 1 pm which would have given me time to get back to the ship. They told me that tour was available and we could join the tour but they couldn’t promise we would be back by 1 pm. I’m not sure why they wouldn’t stick to the original posted time. I first asked if that same tour was available and they said yes.

13. Neil

Neil Moderator
    Staff Member Advocate

Again what Gray Line said is not what the Shore excursion group might have said.

The tour might not have been available on the day you needed it through the Shore Excursion Group site because they might not have been back in time. That might be how you accidentally booked two for the same day. I think perhaps you tried to book it for the second day, it wasn't available because your ship was leaving earlier and it might have defaulted back to the day you booked.

GrayLine was going out on that tour anyway with people who were on other ships that didn't have to leave by 1:30.

If you had called Shore Excursions I am willing to bet that tour wasn't listed for the second day.

14. Dkolett

Yes, that does sound like what happened. I remember being careful to change the day while I was booking the second excursion, but I guess it defaulted back like you said. I booked 10 excursions for this trip. This was my first experience with using Shore Excursions Group. I usually book through the ship or directly through a private tour company and after 17 cruises, this was my first problem. When you book through the ship, they won’t let you book 2 excursions at the same time. Next time I will look closer at the confirmation dates.

15. sas80

Staff Member Advocate

Yes, I understand that you were leery of taking that second excursion because of their behavior on the first day, and I understand where you are coming from on that matter, I would have made the same choice. However, you made an error when you initially booked, and didn't catch it when you were emailed your confirmation. Initially there was plenty of time to correct the mistake.

You are kinda at their mercy because of that. hopefully they will refund you but, if they don't, consider asking for a credit. If they wont give you a credit, perhaps then ask for 50% off the next excursion you book?

Neil likes this.
  16. sas80

Staff Member Advocate

I would mention this - mention that you were booking 10 excursions so things were a little hectic. Mention that you typically book thru the ship and that this company had excellent reviews online, came highly recommended and had the excursions you wanted (I don't care if that is a lie, say it) so you decided to give them a try and that you mistakenly assumed that their booking process was the same as the ship - that you wouldn't be allowed to double book excursions. Tell them you had a great time on the first excursion and, if it weren't for the fact that the tour operator couldn't guarantee that you returned to the ship on time, you would have loved to have taken the second tour.

flies love honey

17. Dkolett

Yes, thank you!!! That is exactly what happened and exactly what I told them over the phone when I originally and they still denied my refund. Hopefully they will reevaluate and help me out.

18. Neil

Neil Moderator
    Staff Member Advocate

I agree with sas's advice to mention you booked 10 excursions through them and asking for a credit for a future cruise.

They are a good company to work with, this was just an unfortunate error that was discovered too late.

Let us know how you make out.

jsn55 and TropicalRichmond like this.
  19. Dkolett

Thanks for the thoughts. Honestly, I booked 10 excursions, 5 with them and 5 with RCCL. Unfortunately a credit for future cruise excursions has no value to me. It will be at least 2 years before I will book another cruise excursion. Hopefully the company will refund, I would consider using them again. We definitely enjoyed the 4 we did take and we’re sorry to have missed the other. I will post if I hear anything else.

Carrie Livingston likes this.