Service Fee

• Hi Guest, welcome to the help forum. You can get fast answers to your customer service questions here. We have a dedicated team of advocates who are ready to help. Just go to the section that matches your question and ask us!
  • If you've posted a question or issue for our advocates to assist with, please be sure to check back frequently for responses and requests for clarification.
  • Did you know you can get email notifications when something new posts to your favorite forum? It's easy. Just click the "watch" link right next to the "post new thread" button at the top of your favorite forum. The rest is easy. Now you'll never miss another conversation.
  • Want to become an expert user? Drop by the How to use this forum section and all will be revealed. We'll show you how to make the most of your experience.
Nov 1, 2015
I recently booked a 2 night stay in NYC on Priceline. I bid $210 for a 4 star hotel which was immediately accepted. When I got the charges there was a $110 charge for "services and fees." There was no breakdown or explanation. As the booking was non-refundable I was stuck. I consider this 'bait and switch." The room was not $210 per night but rather $265. I found no way of contacting the company to ask about these charges. Anyone who has experience with Priceline that can offer an explanation?

jsn55

Verified Member
Dec 26, 2014
San Francisco
I'd suggest you check the room rate with an independent website. See if you're still getting a good deal. $110 unexplained "services and fees" seems to be a new low in the revenue-boosting fee game ... but I've never used PriceLine. If you want to cancel and get your money back, come back to us and we'll give you guidance on how to proceed.

Aug 28, 2015
New York
Good advice. Now that the hotel has been revealed go onto tripadvisor and compare the rates. While an exorbitant amount in taxes is to be expected, these days most of these sites are pretty good at telling you the final amount and at a minimum will state that when the price doesn't include taxes and fees. Which of those two did your booking fall into? Bc if taxes, etc, weren't included then an additional $55/night sounds right.

technomage1

Verified Member
Jan 5, 2015
AAGK is right, it's probably taxes and fees, and was probably disclosed a screen or two into booking but before you pressed the buy button - or as an "*not including taxes" note. A shady practice but not an illegal one.

Take a look at the site, the booking process, and the paperwork you got. If it's not on there, come back to us.

By the by I always suggest booking with the hotel directly. You get close to the same rate and better service when you do so.

Nov 1, 2015
Good advice. Now that the hotel has been revealed go onto tripadvisor and compare the rates. While an exorbitant amount in taxes is to be expected, these days most of these sites are pretty good at telling you the final amount and at a minimum will state that when the price doesn't include taxes and fees. Which of those two did your booking fall into? Bc if taxes, etc, weren't included then an additional $55/night sounds right.
Thanks, looking at another site, it seems a good amount of the charges were taxes. It will teach me to be more vigilant in the future.

Nov 1, 2015
AAGK is right, it's probably taxes and fees, and was probably disclosed a screen or two into booking but before you pressed the buy button - or as an "*not including taxes" note. A shady practice but not an illegal one.

Take a look at the site, the booking process, and the paperwork you got. If it's not on there, come back to us.

By the by I always suggest booking with the hotel directly. You get close to the same rate and better service when you do so.
Thanks, I think that is good advice. I'm always looking for a "good deal" but without reading all the fine print, one can easily get taken in.

R

Realitoes

Interesting, I looked at Priceline name your own price and it states this below the summary of charges before you bid:

"No surprises! Total cost includes estimated hotel fees (e.g resort fees). Your total cost will never be higher than displayed above."

If there were fees added that were not disclosed on this page (you did take a screen shot right?), I would write (don't call) priceline to complain.

Attachments

Nov 1, 2015
Interesting, I looked at Priceline name your own price and it states this below the summary of charges before you bid:

"No surprises! Total cost includes estimated hotel fees (e.g resort fees). Your total cost will never be higher than displayed above."

If there were fees added that were not disclosed on this page (you did take a screen shot right?), I would write (don't call) priceline to complain.
Thanks. I'm afraid I'm not too computer savvy. (This getaway was to celebrate my 70th birthday.) Checking with the Holiday Inn website, taxes for the room for 2 nights was $74. I can see how that was added to the bid, but I still don't get the additional $27. I will try writing to Priceline as you suggested.

Jan 8, 2015
Carol, before you write, you may want to try and duplicate the booking up to the point where you would clikc the buy or make your bid button. Priceline has had a habit in the past of not disclosing certain fees, then disclosing those fees, then not disclosing them. You need to understand what the booking looked like before you make a complaint so that you can complain about the correct things and what to ask for as compensation.

As an example, for rooms in Vegas they did not disclose the resort fees to consumers. People complained through various channels and Priceline then started noting the fees that the people would have to pay for the hotel on their bid. As some hotels in Vegas had fees of $15, 20, 25, 28.50 and so on, people were able to figure out exactly what hotel they were going to get from priceline. More recently this spring we had a case in which Priceline once again did not disclose that there were fees. In some cases they merely said fees up to a certain dollar amount were possible, which left you in the dark as to what your room would actually cost you.
Anyway, by trying to duplicate the booking, or by letting us know the name of the hotel you booked at, we can try to see if the terms were clear enough on their site so that you either should have been aware of the charges, or if the company did not disclose the additional fees you were expected to pay.