1. Hi Guest, welcome to the help forum. You can get fast answers to your customer service questions here. We have a dedicated team of advocates who are ready to help. Just go to the section that matches your question and ask us!
    Dismiss Notice
  2. If you've posted a question or issue for our advocates to assist with, please be sure to check back frequently for responses and requests for clarification.
    Dismiss Notice
  3. Did you know you can get email notifications when something new posts to your favorite forum? It's easy. Just click the "watch" link right next to the "post new thread" button at the top of your favorite forum. The rest is easy. Now you'll never miss another conversation.
    Dismiss Notice
  4. Want to become an expert user? Drop by the How to use this forum section and all will be revealed. We'll show you how to make the most of your experience.
    Dismiss Notice

Sent to collections for Comcast's negligence

Discussion in 'Comcast' started by Kellie32073, Sep 26, 2015.

1. Kellie32073

In October of 2012 I moved to Deltona Florida from Orange Park Florida. so I went to my (then) local Comcast Service Center at 357 College Dr.Orange Park Florida. I returned my equipment and terminated my service with Comcast in person. I was given a receipt for the equipment return. A few months later I received a bill at my new address auto forwarded from the USPS as i never provided Comcast with a forwarding address. Stating that my account was past due and that I owed for the past few months service at my previous address at ******* Street Orange Park Fl. 32073 I attempted several calls to no avail, so in an attempt to resolve the issue in a timely manner I drove 150 miles, to the same Comcast service center to where I provided her with my receipt. At that time she advised that my former residence still has service and that the other clerk must have forgot to "put in the disconnect order" and that she would go ahead and schedule it now but it would be a few weeks before a technician could get to the residence to turn it off but I would still be responsible for the past billing as well as being responsible for the billing until the service is disconnected. I advised her that I was not responsible for the negligence of the clerk that I initially cancelled service with simply because she forgot to do what I had asked her to do. Furthermore she indeed had records that I returned my equipment months prior so why would I keep service for service when I have no equipment to use the service. At that point she said that there was nothing that she could do about the monthly service billing. Unfortunately I was quite upset when I left the Comcast office that day and I forgot to get my original receipt back from the desk clerk, so now I do not have the exact date or proof of the original return/disconnect request.
    Since that day I have never received 1 letter or statement or bill from Comcast in regards to this matter. Approximately a year ago I received a phone call from a Comcast collection agency to which I provided them with the exact aforementioned information and they said they would check into it. I never heard back and when I call the Comcast collections number 1-800-745-1395 that I was given it does not recognize the number associated with the account and goes through several prompts before telling me to hang up. So naturally I assume that the collections agent has resolved the issue. Today In an attempt to make an unrelated purchase, and I find a negative mark on my credit report for a $379 collections account from Comcast!

2. Christopher Elliott

Christopher Elliott Administrator
    Staff Member Forum Director

I see you've already contacted me via the form. I'll do my best to help.

LaurieB likes this.
  3. AAGK

I am so sorry for you. Hopefully Chris can help. This is profoundly unfair.

4. technomage1

Staff Member Advocate

How rotten! Hope it's speedily resolved for you.

AAGK likes this.
  5. jsn55

Staff Member Advocate

How awful, Kellie ... it seems insane that a company could continue to bill you for service that it's impossible to receive because you've returned the equipment. Obviously, the ComCast people are not empowered to actually help their customers. How a company can develop a policy to send anyone and everyone to Collections is beyond me. How can these people look at themselves in the mirror every morning? I have little doubt that Chris can help ... seems that these kinds of companies DO pay attention to Chris Elliott!

AAGK likes this.
  6. MVFlyer

It is very important that once Chris works his magic (and he will help you!), that you get the ding against your credit score removed. Get written proof that Comcast has cleared your account. You may need to write a formal letter (on paper) to each of the three major credit score reporting companies requesting removal. Yes, this is a pain in the a#$%, and something you shouldn't need to do because of Comcast's screw up, but you have to protect yourself first. Good luck...I look forward to hearing that this one is solved.

7. AAGK

Unfortunately, it is not so easy. I am currently attempting to correct an error on my credit report and it has been ridiculous. For now, I wouldn't worry about that, however. That is another process. For the time being, just focus on ceasing the collection. To engage the credit agencies you will need the creditor to produce a letter stating you have never been late- not just that the collection account was settled. A letter from you will mean nothing. It will just notate the account with a dispute.

8. Mike Z

Staff Member Advocate

Just want to say good luck Kellie. Like AAGK I am also trying to clear up a few things on my report. All someone needs is your social and they can make life really suck for you.

AAGK likes this.